Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   anyone into boris? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4689)

Everyneurotic 07.31.2006 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
I just heard that for the first time a few days ago and i was pretty dissappointed too. Two of the best japanese musicians and most talented musicians in general and I expected a lot better. But a lot of "super" lineups or groups put out letdowns of collaborations. Nothing beats Fushitsusha. Nothing.

of course not. fushi fucking ruled!!!

if you want to listen to a really awesome haino/tatsuya collab, check out until the water grasps flame. and of course you should listen to knead and sanhedolin (in fact, i think new rap was an atempt to try and play something similar to sanhedolin and failing)

drrrtyboots 07.31.2006 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
of course not. fushi fucking ruled!!!

if you want to listen to a really awesome haino/tatsuya collab, check out until the water grasps flame. and of course you should listen to knead and sanhedolin (in fact, i think new rap was an atempt to try and play something similar to sanhedolin and failing)

Time to go import searching then!

val-holla-ing 07.31.2006 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
the most disappointing haino collaboration record i've heard so far is the new rap with yoshida tatsuya, i only liked like one song from it.

i was actually looking forward to hearing "new rap", but now i'm afraid to spend 16 bucks on it.

has anyone heard "animamima"? it's the album he did with the 20 piece sitar orchestra.

drrrtyboots 07.31.2006 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
i was actually looking forward to hearing "new rap", but now i'm afraid to spend 16 bucks on it.

has anyone heard "animamima"? it's the album he did with the 20 piece sitar orchestra.

Haven't heard it but sounds like something I really need to get my hands on.

Everyneurotic 07.31.2006 10:52 PM

val-holla: the album is like pointless free jazz without porpose, direction or edge. the only song that really stands up to both men's potential is the second track which i forgot what it's called. if you can, download it first to try but i really found it incredibly and surprisingly boring.

and animamima is one of the best releases of the year, it's so masterful it's like a symphony!!...actually, i've only heard disc 1 once but those are my first impressions, totally worth everything!

val-holla-ing 07.31.2006 10:57 PM

drrrtyboots and everyneurotic, if you PM me your email addresses, i can either send you a link to the file or email a .zip file, if you'd like.

Everyneurotic 07.31.2006 11:17 PM

Quote:

drrrtyboots and everyneurotic, if you PM me your email addresses, i can either send you a link to the file or email a .zip file, if you'd like.

are you talking about animamima?

val-holla-ing 08.01.2006 01:47 AM

yessiree.

Iain 08.01.2006 02:31 AM

Animanima is indeed a nice one. Really quite drone-y and nice with some really awesome flute playing from Haino (I think). The second disc is a bit harsher than the first on which is quite restrained.

Everyneurotic 08.01.2006 10:57 AM

Quote:

yessiree.

thanks for the offer but i already downloaded it (yes, i totally slept on it and i'm an idiot for it)

Rob Instigator 08.01.2006 10:58 AM

I love the Melvins song BORIS

I have never heard the band Boris, are they metal? metal riffs make me barf.

Everyneurotic 08.01.2006 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

then why do you like the melvins? are you bullimic?

Toilet & Bowels 08.01.2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

boris the band are named after boris the melvins song

gmku 08.01.2006 11:24 AM

I've heard that Boris is Melvins-like. Is that accurate?

nomadicfollower 08.01.2006 11:25 AM

I've heard Dronevil, which might not be proper introductory album, but I don't really like it at all. I'm not interested in drone.

Everyneurotic 08.01.2006 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku

melvins-influenced. one of their 67 000 influences.

Phlegmscope 08.01.2006 11:27 AM

The song Evil Wave Form on Dronevil is absolute killer.

val-holla-ing 08.01.2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku

at times, they can be melvinish. then again, sometimes they sound like easy listening.

Rob Instigator 08.01.2006 11:35 AM

I stopped listening to the Melvins after Lysiol came out. Just have not been too interested

I like early melvins, Gluey Porch Treatments, Ozma, Bullhead, the solo albums, King Buzzo being fanfuckingtastic,...

gmku 08.01.2006 12:40 PM

Ozma is one of my favorite albums. I want Houdini.