Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Album posters (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=36267)

gmku 12.18.2009 12:53 PM

Album posters

So I pose this question: Should I ruin my album posters by pinning them up on the walls?

This is a serious question. For decades now, I've kept certain LP posters in pristine condition by keeping them folded up in their albums. I hate the idea of taking them out and putting little pin holes in them in order to tack them up on the wal, not to mention fading from exposure etc.

But lately I've felt compelled to decorate my apartment with them. I know this would mean they would no longer be in mint condition, but would it be worth the enjoyment I would get from them?

So. Yes or no?

I value your opinion.

ni'k 12.18.2009 12:58 PM

frame them

the ikara cult 12.18.2009 12:59 PM

Ive never understood that mentality myself, its the same with people who collect model trains and dont play with them or people who buy vinyl and never play it. Its not quite hoarding and its not quite obsessing. Theres something Freudian about it in any case

Derek 12.18.2009 01:00 PM

Instead of pins use...

Rob Instigator 12.18.2009 01:06 PM

blu tack is allright but over time the liquids in the gumy stuff leech out ad stain the posters.

fram those fuckers.

gmku 12.18.2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Ive never understood that mentality myself, its the same with people who collect model trains and dont play with them or people who buy vinyl and never play it. Its not quite hoarding and its not quite obsessing. Theres something Freudian about it in any case

I know what you're saying. But this is the collector's mentality. It's something of the archivist's thinking, the way a museum curator hopes to preserve something in a nearly perfect state so that it can be seen as it was first intended.

gmku 12.18.2009 01:09 PM

Framing sounds like the option, then.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.18.2009 01:15 PM

the simple answer.. yes.

I always put up my album posters.. you put them in rotation. I originally had a wall covered top to bottom with ALL my album posters/covers/sleeves as a collage. I loved that piece.. often when I'd find myself in my room on mushrooms I would get lost into all that music on the wall.

Currently I am in a smaller room so it is stripped down, just the poster from SYR 6 and the sleeve from Sonic Nurse.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.18.2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Framing sounds like the option, then.

and DONT frame them. Framing is for photographs, prints, iconography.. posters are raw, rebellious, expressive.. the frame is to Al Borlin.

gmku 12.18.2009 01:16 PM

So it doesn't bother you to put marks in them etc?

EVOLghost 12.18.2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
and DONT frame them. Framing is for photographs, prints, iconography.. posters are raw, rebellious, expressive.. the frame is to Al Borlin.

this.

UNless you plan on selling, then the smallest holes from a small thumbtack won't hurt 'em.

the ikara cult 12.18.2009 01:20 PM

It would bother me if they were one of a kind prints or something, I have a couple of those i keep framed, but I think these things benefit from the wear and tear of "use" rather than just being looked at.

gmku 12.18.2009 01:20 PM

No, these are things I'll keep all my life. Just the collector thing--in my mind, I can't get past putting holes in them. I don't even really understand why. For the same reason I keep all my albums in plastic sleeves, I guess.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.18.2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
this.

UNless you plan on selling, then the smallest holes from a small thumbtack won't hurt 'em.

Quote:

No, these are things I'll keep all my life. Just the collector thing--in my mind, I can't get past putting holes in them. I don't even really understand why. For the same reason I keep all my albums in plastic sleeves, I guess.

oh yeah, I use masking tape. it holds for a long enough time and usually does NOT damage to the originals.
Quote:

So it doesn't bother you to put marks in them etc?

no. I enjoy the art as functional. I like it to be a part of my life, and like anything, life can get messy and damaged. I started putting up covers/posters from albums when Hail to the Thief came out, because it came with a big poster

which I put up on the wall with my other conventional posters..

then I moved and had a bigger room with spacious walls, and wanted something new. I had an epiphany like Saint John the Baptist when I was unpacking my shit and a box of album sleeves and posters.. I said, "duh, these things are posters to put up on the wall! why didn't I think of this in the past 16 years I have had them!!"

thats what they are for gmku, they are posters

I posted a picture of that collage on the OLD board but I lost that computer and thread so I don't have a picture of it anymore, but it was lovely, and many folks from the old SYG liked it.

pbradley 12.18.2009 01:34 PM

If it were me, I would go to Office Depot or somewhere similar and look for cheap cardboard/plastic frames. They're cheap, they protect, and are largely outside the douche-war that is caring for or against frames.

pbradley 12.18.2009 01:36 PM

Like this bit of nonsense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
posters are raw, rebellious, expressive

Be sure to strap on your chucks and ripped jeans, while you're at look like a nostalgic douche.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.18.2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley

Be sure to strap on your chucks and ripped jeans, while you're at look like a nostalgic douche.

stop being so silly. I am not stuck in a SPIN magazine cover from 1995, I am stuck in the Compton Swapmeet in 1998 ;)

gmku 12.18.2009 01:50 PM

And be sure to wash you braids, I mean dreads.

ploesj 12.18.2009 01:55 PM

sooo tiny.

the ikara cult 12.18.2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

And be sure to wash you braids, I mean dreads.

Ah get off your high horse you anally fixated artifact-fetishist!