Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Goofin reissues (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=116769)

mattiaslarsson 02.19.2018 08:51 AM

Goofin reissues

Hi SY experts,
I have some questions about the reissues that came out on Goofin records a couple years ago (EVOL, Sister, Daydream Nation, etc):

1. Are both the vinyl and CD versions remastered, or only the vinyl versions (I have seen conflicting information about this)?
2. What about the digital download versions (included with vinyl), are they the same as the vinyl or CD (if these are not both remastered)?
3. Is it possible to purchase the digital albums, or are they only included with vinyl albums?
4. Are the CD's the same version as the original CD releases, or some later remaster (if the answer to question 1 is that only Goofin vinyls are remastered)?

I'd appreciate if someone could clarify.

Mattias

hedgehog 02.20.2018 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattiaslarsson
Hi SY experts,
I have some questions about the reissues that came out on Goofin records a couple years ago (EVOL, Sister, Daydream Nation, etc):

1. Are both the vinyl and CD versions remastered, or only the vinyl versions (I have seen conflicting information about this)?
2. What about the digital download versions (included with vinyl), are they the same as the vinyl or CD (if these are not both remastered)?
3. Is it possible to purchase the digital albums, or are they only included with vinyl albums?
4. Are the CD's the same version as the original CD releases, or some later remaster (if the answer to question 1 is that only Goofin vinyls are remastered)?

I'd appreciate if someone could clarify.

Mattias

Daydream Nation was remastered for both vinyl and CD. All the rest were remastered for vinyl but the CD versions simply use the Geffen masters so, aside from the Bad Moon Rising track markers being fixed, they are the same. The download codes that come with the vinyl are basically rips of the CD releases. The digital versions on itunes et al are the same Geffen masters too. Vinyl is the only way to get the remastered versions, it seems.

mattiaslarsson 02.20.2018 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Daydream Nation was remastered for both vinyl and CD. All the rest were remastered for vinyl but the CD versions simply use the Geffen masters so, aside from the Bad Moon Rising track markers being fixed, they are the same. The download codes that come with the vinyl are basically rips of the CD releases. The digital versions on itunes et al are the same Geffen masters too. Vinyl is the only way to get the remastered versions, it seems.

Thanks!

So Daydream Nation is a new remaster (i.e., not the same as the 2-CD deluxe version), right? Any idea about why Daydream was remastered for CD, but not the other albums?

The reason that I'm asking is that I have all the old Geffen CD's and I was wondering if there would be any benefit from getting the Goofin reissued CD's.

Mattias

hedgehog 02.20.2018 08:31 AM

Yes, the Goofin version of Daydream Nation on CD is the same 2007 mastering as on vinyl so that may be worth getting. 'Sonic Youth', 'Confusion...', Bad Moon', 'Evol' and 'Sister' are exactly the same as the Geffen CDs so not worth getting. I don't know why this is the case. If anything, the new 'Confusion...' is of less value (because they've cut the 'Kill Yr Idols' EP off the end and, also, Master Dik is cut from the end of 'Sister'. On top of that, the Geffen versions have those liner notes which don't appear in the Goofin' re-issues.... you never know, those Geffen CDs may become quite sought-after!

mattiaslarsson 02.20.2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Yes, the Goofin version of Daydream Nation on CD is the same 2007 mastering as on vinyl so that may be worth getting. 'Sonic Youth', 'Confusion...', Bad Moon', 'Evol' and 'Sister' are exactly the same as the Geffen CDs so not worth getting. I don't know why this is the case. If anything, the new 'Confusion...' is of less value (because they've cut the 'Kill Yr Idols' EP off the end and, also, Master Dik is cut from the end of 'Sister'. On top of that, the Geffen versions have those liner notes which don't appear in the Goofin' re-issues.... you never know, those Geffen CDs may become quite sought-after!

Thanks again!

Is the Goofin version of Daydream Nation on CD the same mastering as the Geffen deluxe version from 2007? I already have that one, so in that case no reason to get the Goofin Daydream CD.

hedgehog 02.20.2018 05:52 PM

Same thing, you don't need it. :-)

becuz 04.17.2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattiaslarsson
Thanks!

Any idea about why Daydream was remastered for CD, but not the other albums?

My guess would be that it is because a digital remaster already existed for DN (from Geffen's deluxe reissue). The earlier albums were remastered specifically for analog/vinyl, and given the limited interest in CD's these days they probably felt it was not worth investing in new remastered versions for the digital realm. It's a smart move actually, because once a digital remaster finds its way online, it could negatively impact sales of the vinyl. By keeping the remastered version strictly vinyl, fans who may have been satisfied with a file-shared download of a digital remaster may be more likely to pick up the vinyl. Sure you can get vinyl rips online, but unlike digitally sourced versions, their quality varies.

noisereductions 04.17.2018 08:32 PM

This is interesting. Glad I kept my Geffen stuff and never 'upgraded'.

On that note, there was a CD reissue of Whitey Album when the self titled and Psychic Hearts were reissued. Is Whitey the same as the Geffen release as well?

radarmaker 04.23.2018 01:20 PM

From what I understand, the Goofin' LPs of Bad Moon thru Sister all use the same metalwork as the 2010/11 ORG issues.
Similarly, the 2LP Daydream comes from the same stampers as the 4LP box.

becuz 07.18.2018 03:22 AM

What does everyone think about the Geffen-period SY vinyl reissues? Do they sound as good or better than the original vinyl pressings? How do the more recent LP's measure up to the Goofin' pressings?

radarmaker 07.18.2018 12:57 PM

I've got the Geffen Sister & EVOL. They're both basic no-frills pressings & definitely inferior to originals.

The Soup Nazi 07.20.2018 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radarmaker
I've got the Geffen Sister & EVOL. They're both basic no-frills pressings & definitely inferior to originals.

Damn. I have the 2010 RSD remastered & pink EVOL — I don't have a Geffen copy to compare it with but I imagine mine sounds better!

https://www.discogs.com/Sonic-Youth-...elease/2238439

Released by Universal/UMG/Original Recordings Group, "launched in winter of 2006 with a clear mission: to produce and market the highest quality vinyl records and packaging for the music industry". Hmmmm...

https://www.discogs.com/label/130199...cordings-Group

becuz 10.05.2018 10:49 PM

Has anyone compared the Universal reissue of ATL to the Goofin' pressing? It's the last SY album I have left to get on vinyl and I'm wondering which one I should go for.