Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   pete nolan... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=25927)

batreleaser 09.22.2008 01:22 PM

pete nolan...

this is NOT a magik markers lovers vs. haters thread. i merely feel like i need to point out how fucking amazing of a drummer pete nolan is. it never really ocurred to me. i was just watching a markers performance from 06, it appears that leah already left and they had two extra guitar players surrounding elisa. so, they are still in full on harmolodic cock noise early no doctors type mode. but i couldnt help but notice that nolan's drumming is always in sync, no mateer how atonal and chaotic the music gets, hes still holding a beat and a rhythm. his drumming is so expansive and hypnotic that elisa can pretty much yelp anything she wants, and play any distorded guitar riff she wants, and the drumming still holds it together. on 'boss', his amazing drumming is even more important, because with the new poetic patti smith thing elisa had started working with, she is able to pull it off because she just seems to let her voice and lyrics and guitar playing get sucked into the vortex of pete's rhythm, makes for an almost soul invading type sound. and, i know there's lots of markers haters on here (hell, i used to be one of em), but their tunes are making more and more sense to me. 'boss' not only has changed my opinion about them, but it also has made the earlier records make more sense and sound better. but anyways, nolan is beast. that is all.

Derek 09.22.2008 02:10 PM

Yeah, I love the drumming in Magik Markers.

Jef Mertens 09.22.2008 02:45 PM

i never was quite able to put my finger on the Magik markers but I have loved them from the start. Besides an amazing drummer pete's also super nice!

Still reminds me of that MM documentary by Kesin due someday hopefully.
i have a feeling that's gonna give a different and new insight in the MM legacy.

atsonicpark 09.22.2008 04:33 PM

I promised the band themselves that I wouldn't say anything bad about them anymore. So, I won't. And I don't have to in this case: Pete is a great drummer.

jon boy 09.22.2008 10:53 PM

he remarked that kim and thurston went to one of thier shows and kim told him he was a great drummer which made him nearly fall of his seat.

i have always liked his drumming and he seems like a thoroughly decent fella.

repeater 09.23.2008 02:05 AM

Good drummer indeed. I´ve have only heard "boss" but think that is a pretty good record

Everyneurotic 09.23.2008 02:12 AM

folk spectre/spectre folk/etc. is good; i also dig ghq.

the best thing about the markers opening for dinosaur jr was that he was basically playing a broken drum set, it was all held together with tape and all the cymbals were cracked; that was cool.

PAULYBEE2656 09.23.2008 03:44 AM

pete is indeed a damn fine drummer but more so he is one of the nicest people you could ever spend an evening with.... and he drinks irish whiskey so he cant be that bad!

jon boy 09.23.2008 07:23 PM

he does also reply to emails too even to say thanks for the support.

batreleaser 09.23.2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
folk spectre/spectre folk/etc. is good; i also dig ghq.

the best thing about the markers opening for dinosaur jr was that he was basically playing a broken drum set, it was all held together with tape and all the cymbals were cracked; that was cool.

i read your review about that show on your blog. you seemed fairly stoked on the markers. what changed? were in kind of the opposite boat, i used to hate them now i think theyre great.

batreleaser 09.23.2008 08:23 PM

the bark haze record he was on was fucking rad too.

tesla69 09.24.2008 07:02 PM

I've really dug his Spectre Sports lineup live
(Pete Nolan Julie Tomlinson, Russ Waterhouse and Lea Cho)
and the 3lobed CD...a versatile player for sure..

Everyneurotic 09.24.2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
i read your review about that show on your blog. you seemed fairly stoked on the markers. what changed? were in kind of the opposite boat, i used to hate them now i think theyre great.

short answer: they released i trust my guitar, etc.

actual answer: i liked blues for randy sutherland tons, i still like it actually, and i was still stoked on that album when i saw them, and i cut them some slack, thinking it wasn't really their fault they weren't good when i saw them, then i saw more videos of them and basically, unless elisa got hit or they did something else that seemed studied and calculated, but otherwise they were always the same live.

i don't think elisa is talented at all, pete is though. they can work that to their advantage or not; like i said, i like randy sutherland a lot, i like a panegeric...some and i love road pussy too; but other than that, i find them very tiresome and trite.

batreleaser 09.24.2008 08:52 PM

i like the mix between the epic, sweeping drumming, its so musical, and elisa's barely coherent guitar playing and guttural mutterings (on the early records), i thought her voice on 'boss' was actuall beautiful to be honest. 'tell me something, when you dont come home', i love that opening line. man, i feel so bad about talking so much shit on that band, i really think theyll be around for a while.

atsonicpark 09.24.2008 08:54 PM

You know what drummer rules but whose band is awful? The drummer from Slipknot. Haha.

batreleaser 09.24.2008 09:23 PM

which one there's like 3

batreleaser 09.24.2008 09:24 PM

you know who has 10 shit drummers, 1 good drummer, and is fucking amazing? $hit and $hine

atsonicpark 09.24.2008 09:25 PM

Actually, after the self-titled album, I think Joey became the only drummer. The other two members became dancers and backup vocalists haha. Seriously, I saw them on.. uh.. David Letterman I think, and the clown dude just randomly hit things with a baseball bat and danced the macarena or something. That band's hilarious.

Everyneurotic 09.24.2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Actually, after the self-titled album, I think Joey became the only drummer. The other two members became dancers and backup vocalists haha. Seriously, I saw them on.. uh.. David Letterman I think, and the clown dude just randomly hit things with a baseball bat and danced the macarena or something. That band's hilarious.

they were always like that, the clown always had like trashcans and barrels and the other guy had like 3 floor toms, that guy spends most of the band's set climbing his rig, and the clown hits his head and makes a gun gesture with his hands pointed to his head.

shit and shine can be great or worse than the magik markers, depending on which album they are playing.

batreleaser 09.25.2008 02:03 AM

cunt with roses is a headfuck. the only thing ive heard this decade that sounds something like sister ray.