Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   thread for those who enjoy playing bass guitar over playing an electric guitar (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35515)

atsonicpark 10.28.2009 03:47 AM

thread for those who enjoy playing bass guitar over playing an electric guitar

BASSISTS - UNITE!

Lately, I've been playing bass more and more and I dunno. I'm really good at it, whereas I'm just an okay electric guitarist. I dunno why this is. But literally everything I play on it sounds cool, it's almost impossible not to sound cool playing bass, whereas electric guitar has just frustrated me lately. I like the simplicity of it, and I also like the low, ugly tones you can generate. Mmm. Bass.

Funny thing, it's my x-girlfriend's bass, her car was pakced up when she left and I told her I'd hold onto her bass for her, but I've fallen in love with it and don't want to give it back.

Glice 10.28.2009 04:23 AM

They're not real musicians, but some of them can just about manage to type indignation.

I always think it's a bit like when English people move to Australia when guitarists move to bass. Both parties tend to be quite humourless about my pointing out that each latter is a shitter version of the former.

atsonicpark 10.28.2009 04:47 AM

Funky, Glice.

chrome noise tape 10.28.2009 04:47 AM

yeah! bassists unite! - i also play bass and i love to play it...the sense of the low line and deep tone. simple but with a strong personality. the electric guitar it's cool in the way you have a more choice of "colour (sound)" and tunes...but the bass it's not so limited as many people think ( listen michael manring, that freak can do a lot things with only four strings, well he also plays with other tunes )
and it's more fun to improve ( rythm and melody ) in the bass than with a guitar.
my weapon...Fender Precision.

Satan 10.28.2009 05:03 AM

UNITE!

i am a fucking beast on the bass. i love to play bass more than any instrument. it always just struck a chord (NO pun intended) with me, it feels right.
weapon of choice: fender jaguar

pbradley 10.28.2009 05:04 AM

I enjoy playing both about equally. Bass has the wall-shaking power, guitar has the thrash.

atsonicpark 10.28.2009 05:34 AM

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]..

Rob Instigator 10.28.2009 08:46 AM

all I play is the bass.
Played cello for 7 years, pretty natural switch to electric bass.
distorted bass rules.

wellcharge 10.28.2009 01:54 PM

i prefer music to be guitar free 90% of the time, but it should always have bass unless there's a tuba or something.

Rob Instigator 10.28.2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
i prefer guitar just because i feel as if i have more freedom with it.

but, bass can be FUN as fuck.

hey ROB...wanna wrestle?

nicfit 10.28.2009 02:26 PM

me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me

Derek 10.28.2009 04:50 PM

Guitar when writing or playing with others, bass for random fun!

Diesel 11.01.2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
...I'm really good at it, whereas I'm just an okay electric guitarist...

Bass is easy though. Just look at how many girls can play it..

Satan 11.01.2009 01:51 PM

i could whip the piss out of any man playing bass

andrei 11.01.2009 03:07 PM

i recently bought a cheap squier p-bass from a friend and i enjoy the hell out of it.

Diesel 11.01.2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
i could whip the piss out of any man playing bass

Yea, i'm sure you could rock a load of one-string riffs out no bother... probably be able to do the dishes at the same time aswell..

Satan 11.01.2009 03:16 PM

damn right, and they'd be the cleanest fucking dishes you ever saw.

Diesel 11.01.2009 03:42 PM

:-) Wife material right there.

[Sandbag] 11.01.2009 04:00 PM

i'm not really into the classic techniques like slapping...maybe because I don't really know how to use them properly
I like high notes in random parts of the song (like the outro n the sprawl) and play with octaves and that sort of stuff...

infinitemusic 11.08.2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
BASSISTS - UNITE!
Funny thing, it's my x-girlfriend's bass, her car was pakced up when she left and I told her I'd hold onto her bass for her, but I've fallen in love with it and don't want to give it back.

Then don't.