Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Black Keys (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1347)

truncated 04.28.2006 12:57 PM

The Black Keys

Anyone else diggin these guys? I've become infatuated with this duo lately. Why had I not heard them before? There's nothing especially complex or innovative about them; they're just raw indulgence. These two whitebread boys from Akron are one of the better 'blues' bands I've heard in a long damn time. Dan Auerbach has an AMAZING voice. They're raunchy, guttural, poppy, baleful, and sensual all at the same time....whoo I need a mop

Everyneurotic 04.28.2006 02:01 PM

once, they were compared on a magazine or something with the white stripes and that made me stay away from them.

nomadicfollower 04.28.2006 03:51 PM

I've heard Big Come Down I believe?
It was pretty good. I listened to it for a while, then got tired of it..

defcon4 04.28.2006 03:58 PM

the comparison to the white stripes is unavoidable but they're pretty good, and not really like the white stripes at all. Especially rubber factory. It's tasty. Pluus they get David Cross playing a Hassidic rabbi in their video, which is always a plus.

truncated 04.28.2006 04:17 PM

Ooh, a fellow Chicagoan, 'bout damn time.

The only similarity between the Black Keys and the White Stripes (aside from the name dichotomy) is the lack of a bass. They have a completely different sound; much grittier and definitely more blues-based. They simultaneously embody this 60s rock sound that somehow doesn't sound in the least contrived.

Jack should've stuck to his roots; he's at his best when he's gettin' down Muddy style.

Kallisti23chaos 04.28.2006 04:26 PM

they came out of where i'm from, so they had a decent following.curiousity of locality,
i chekd them out and i knew it just wasn't for me.

Savage Clone 04.28.2006 04:27 PM

They're from Cairo?

noumenal 04.28.2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
They're from Cairo?

haha, good one

Kallisti23chaos 04.28.2006 04:33 PM

at a certain point *

defcon4 04.28.2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truncated
Ooh, a fellow Chicagoan, 'bout damn time.

The only similarity between the Black Keys and the White Stripes (aside from the name dichotomy) is the lack of a bass. They have a completely different sound; much grittier and definitely more blues-based. They simultaneously embody this 60s rock sound that somehow doesn't sound in the least contrived.

Jack should've stuck to his roots; he's at his best when he's gettin' down Muddy style.

Truncated, why don't you represent? Don't forget where you came from. I let my Chicago flag fly and I do it in caps. Bitches.
Anyway I agree about the WS comparison: they're a duo, and they don't play bass. Not that I don't love the stripes too.

Everyneurotic 04.28.2006 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truncated
...The only similarity between the Black Keys and the White Stripes (aside from the name dichotomy) is the lack of a bass. They have a completely different sound; much grittier and definitely more blues-based. They simultaneously embody this 60s rock sound that somehow doesn't sound in the least contrived...

alright, now i'm curious. i'll check 'em out

krastian 04.28.2006 10:36 PM

They are ok....I didn't really get into them though.

truncated 04.29.2006 01:15 AM

They're mostly a cheap indulgence, granted. But you listen to Auerbach's voice, and the guy is only 27 years old - you'd swear it's the smoke-seared voice of a middle-aged biker. Luck or talent, these guys are just FUN to listen to.