Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A Minor Forest... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19340)

GravitySlips 01.29.2008 04:18 PM

A Minor Forest...

Anyone like A Minor Forest?

I've been listening to Inindependence a lot over the past couple of days...at first I kinda liked it but it's grown on me a lot. Really digging it just now.

any other fans? what other records are good? etc...

James_Danger 01.29.2008 05:47 PM

Man, I always seem to forget about A Minor Forest until I come across someone who's just hearing them for the first time and loving it. I'm gonna throw on the Inindependence LP right now, to celebrate this bizarre recurring internet phenomonon. The Flemish Altruism mish-mash I believe is their only other release, and was not quite as good as Inindependence due to it's manyill-advised slips into goofy, metal areas. There are moments, though, great moments, don't get me wrong. AMF was a band that I've always felt was this close to being great, but it seemed they lacked discipline in what they were doing, or something. I've always felt Paul Newman's early stuff or Chicago's Neutrino were better examples of what maybe A Minor Forest was trying to do. I don't know. I'll probably listen to this right now and change my mind about everything I've just said.

Everyneurotic 01.29.2008 05:51 PM

they are on my "to check out" list.

Rob Instigator 01.29.2008 05:55 PM

I have the A Minor Forest record that was half recorded by weston and half recorded by albini. which one was that? it is a double LP.

I like it a lot.

If you like them try and find a slightly rare album from TURING MACHINE

James_Danger 01.29.2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I have the A Minor Forest record that was half recorded by weston and half recorded by albini. which one was that? it is a double LP.

I like it a lot.

If you like them try and find a slightly rare album from TURING MACHINE

That's Flemish Altruism.

I'd also add some early 90 Day Men (It is It, or 75-77-79) to their list of peers.

atsonicpark 01.29.2008 07:26 PM

Yeah, I've loved them for a few years. Great band if you like "math". They don't have many releases, so you might as well listen to their other stuff. Fucking epic. I love the songs that are just straight-up 10+ minute exercises in dynamics. And they LOVE harmonics! I wish I could find some stuff by Creepy Crawly Crawl though....

batreleaser 01.29.2008 10:29 PM

wow, i feel pretty ashamed, i had never even heard of the name before. i just read the wikipedia and it sounds like id really like it. at the moment though im too obsessed with zeni geva, mount shasta, and pet sounds to get into it, but when im ready, anyone have reccomendations for what record id wana start on?