Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bands that have disappointed you live (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10404)

Iain 02.09.2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
ascension, i've seen them twice now and they were dull as fuck

Yep, Ascension were so boring I didn't even realise it was Ascension I was watching. I thought it was some local jazz/improv clowns that had chanced their way onto the bill. Major dissapointment especially after readin about how their early shows were so great and loud and took the audience by surprise. I didn't expect it to have the same effect but I didn't think it would be as weak as it was.

sonicl 02.09.2007 12:01 PM

Are these Ascension experiences recent?

Iain 02.09.2007 12:03 PM

Yep, pretty recent. September of 2006 I think it was supporting Keiji Haino. I only saw them the one time though.

sonicl 02.09.2007 12:08 PM

Ascension were 50% of the support act when I saw SY in London on the Washing Machine tour, and that was pretty amazing. That was why I asked about the recent-ness of your experience.

Phlegmscope 02.09.2007 12:24 PM

Of the artists you might be aware of:
Zegota
Samara Lubelski
Guapo

Toilet & Bowels 02.09.2007 12:43 PM

the first time i saw matthew bower play it was dreadful and put me off checking out his music for 2 years, then when i finally heard some stuff i really liked it

jon boy 02.09.2007 12:49 PM

mathew bower is actually pretty good. i saw him a couple of times in hotugogisu in a church in leeds which was spectacular. the sound.

truncated 02.09.2007 12:51 PM

Tom Waits. Saw him before I'd listened to him thoroughly. Didn't like him. Listened to a bit more. With minor exception, still don't particularly like him.

jon boy 02.09.2007 12:54 PM

mogwai were loud and ok but they just kind of fell flat.

Toilet & Bowels 02.09.2007 12:57 PM

yeah mogwai are loud but dull.
i've seen bower play since, in sunroof! (good) and hototogisu (great)

_slavo_ 02.09.2007 01:02 PM

Mogwai were okay the one time I've seen them live.

But the following were absolutely lame:

M O N O

and

N N C K

and

Vladislav Delay

and

Pan Sonic

Glice 02.09.2007 01:08 PM

I've seen Mogwai about 9 times, always enjoyed it. But I can understand people not enjoying it.

On the Ascension tip, I wouldn't say they were great, but they weren't awful. Z'ev, who both T&B and Iain (and, I think porkmarras) saw in the same sitting, was awful, and disappointing. Apparently he's pretty great when he's got others playing with him though.

Wolf Eyes at ATP bored the bejesus out of me, so I was surprised at the near-universal acclaim they received. Same with NWW, although I didn't think they were quite as bad.

I try to avoid gigs though, I'm not the most forgiving of audiences.

Edit: Radiohead were dull as piss when I saw them, and I really like 'em.

sun city girl 02.09.2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
Of the artists you might be aware of:
Samara Lubelski

WHAT
DO
YOU
MEAN
???

ok, when i saw her all the songs sounded the same, but still... it was pretty magickal!

sun city girl 02.09.2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
the finnish lot

the what?

pokkeherrie 02.09.2007 01:14 PM

Earth
White Magic
The Fall
Caroliner
Most of the "new weird Finland" bands

I've seen plenty of crap gigs though, just from the ones listed above I expected a lot more.

Toilet & Bowels 02.09.2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me
the finnish lot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sun city girl
the what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Most of the "new weird Finland" bands

sorry, no offence, i know you're involved in that scene. the stuff i've heard on record is much better than the live experience.

Rob Instigator 02.09.2007 01:39 PM

You guys are ridiculous and crazy

pavement live shows haveALWAYS been a shambles and it was this inherent looseness that made them so damn great, Pavement ist Rad.
They have never disapopointed me live and I saw them during the slanted years the crooked years the brighten years. They were always amazingly sloppy AS INTENDED

Sebadoh is a hit or miss live show, becaus so much depends on whether the band feels it that night. at least they do not fake their way a la motley crue or RATM where every show is the "greatest" show but it is exactly like all other 30 shows on that tour.
I have seen Sebadoh (one of my all time faves) live 4 times, each time being a singular experience.

Unless you have seen a band play more than one show on any given tour then you cannot say they sucked live. all you saw was possibly an "off" night and everyone has those. EVERYONE. saying they disappointed you is cool, but to lay claim that they are a suck ass live band because of one show? Ignorant.

Now that that is said, One of the few bands I have seen who I expetced an interesting show from and who bored me to tears was Bardo Pond.

sleep inducing monotony

Trasher02 02.09.2007 01:42 PM

Sonic Youth

CHOUT 02.09.2007 01:43 PM

never seen them, just like the cover/title.

truncated 02.09.2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
You guys are ridiculous and crazy

pavement live shows haveALWAYS been a shambles and it was this inherent looseness that made them so damn great, Pavement ist Rad.
They have never disapopointed me live and I saw them during the slanted years the crooked years the brighten years. They were always amazingly sloppy AS INTENDED

Sebadoh is a hit or miss live show, becaus so much depends on whether the band feels it that night. at least they do not fake their way a la motley crue or RATM where every show is the "greatest" show but it is exactly like all other 30 shows on that tour.
I have seen Sebadoh (one of my all time faves) live 4 times, each time being a singular experience.

Unless you have seen a band play more than one show on any given tour then you cannot say they sucked live. all you saw was possibly an "off" night and everyone has those. EVERYONE. saying they disappointed you is cool, but to lay claim that they are a suck ass live band because of one show? Ignorant.

Now that that is said, One of the few bands I have seen who I expetced an interesting show from and who bored me to tears was Bardo Pond.

sleep inducing monotony

Ah, you must have made the mistake of thinking I am a fair person.

To respond to the Pavement observation, their onstage sloppiness was, to me at least, markedly different from the choreographed sloppiness that is so charming on (most of) their albums.

And, moving on, I did see Axl Rose solo, and while he was slightly absurd, it made me realize that his sheer energy was largely the life behind Guns n Roses gigs. A bit off he may be, but he does it with admirable gusto.