Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   pugilism (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39825)

the ikara cult 05.15.2010 11:34 PM

pugilism

Is anyone else apart from me interested in the art of boxing?

This weekend Katsidis beat Kevin Mitchell in spectacular fashion, and Amir Khan stopped Paulie Malignaggi, i wonder how Khan will do against a skilled fighter who has real power

chicka 05.16.2010 02:26 PM

I enjoy boxing very much the problem is you can't watch a good fight unless you buy the pay per view. The local scene in Worcester is like maybe once every two years we'll have a club fight. We got a good one coming up by the name of Edwin Rodriquez.

I've been watching more of the UFC fighting cause atleast it's on TV.

the ikara cult 05.16.2010 02:32 PM

bloody ufc, ive never seen the appeal of it myself unless you like muscly men grinding all over each other

demonrail666 05.17.2010 12:04 PM

I used to love watching the likes of Hagler and Duran in the 80s but don't seem to be able to get all that excited about the current crop of fighters - although I'm sure there are some great ones out there (Pacquiao and Mayweather, for sure). Also, like Chicka says, the fact that all the big fights are now on pay per view makes it harder for me to keep up.

Either way, I'd love to see a prime Duran fight Pacquiao.

Rob Instigator 05.17.2010 12:13 PM

I am a huge boxing fanatic. I think it is in Puerto Rican's blood.
I miss the days of entertaining heavyweights, but as long as those two russian brothers hold the belts and choose not to fight each other, the heavyweight diivision will remain bullshit.
I love catching boxingmatches on showtime.

Rob Instigator 05.17.2010 12:15 PM

I enjoy MMA stuff from time to time, but it has realy evolved (devolved?) to a point where it is no longer about different martial arts testing each other. It has become more codified, where only the grappling martial arts really come into play, since most matches end with grappling and holds.
maybe it is creating a new martial art,. but it is also excluding many other martial arts that do not involve grappling.

Toilet & Bowels 05.17.2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I enjoy MMA stuff from time to time, but it has realy evolved (devolved?) to a point where it is no longer about different martial arts testing each other. It has become more codified, where only the grappling martial arts really come into play, since most matches end with grappling and holds.
maybe it is creating a new martial art,. but it is also excluding many other martial arts that do not involve grappling.

yeah, but the grappling martial arts, and sitting-on-a-dude's-chest-and-punching-him-the-face-until-he-passes-out-jitsu are way more effective ways to beat people up than drunken mantis kung fu or whatever

Rob Instigator 05.17.2010 12:51 PM

I agree, but Bruce Lee could have kicked their ass without ever "going to the ground"

the ikara cult 06.07.2010 06:14 PM

apparently MMA isnt even legal in New york so theyve never done a show at Madison Square Garden, which is pretty mad when you think how much money that stuff generates.
Its the boxing off-season now, not much going on, so i guess we can resume this in September when Pacquiao-Mayweather has been confirmed/cancelled a dozen more times and Carl Froch has acquired a personality.

atsonicpark 06.07.2010 07:00 PM

the ikara cult 06.07.2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

Member of Devo has an idea?