Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2009 Set Lists -- POST HERE! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29981)

guston 07.04.2009 11:40 AM

Yr probably right. It did seem like Thurston's guitar was kind of out of whack with what lee was playing as well, thought it was hard to tell due to the bass levels. It kind of ate up all of the treble.

Not that I know much about sounds or playing guitar. My ears could be a little off. :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniknirve
i was in orchestra row e on the lee side of the stage.

to me it sounded more like thurston played this an octave lower causing kim to be all over the place.

Magic Wheel Memory 07.05.2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
WhAAAA? Thought you couldn't make it! Would've been awesome to meet up.

No, I said I wouldn't be around the rest of the weekend. That's why I asked you about meeting up Thursday or Friday. No problem. We'll make up for it next time.

noisereductions 07.05.2009 08:54 PM

fuck. I wish I got to meet some of my SYG-homies.

jennthebenn 07.05.2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
No, I said I wouldn't be around the rest of the weekend. That's why I asked you about meeting up Thursday or Friday. No problem. We'll make up for it next time.

I completely misunderstood then. Not the first time! IT was pretty crazy
getting there Friday anyway, don't know how much time we would have had.

mil_pl 07.06.2009 03:35 AM

I thought it was thread just for setlists :p

rocky 07.07.2009 10:05 PM

hoping this isn't too hard to read

7/7/2009
Code:

Tom violence
    Leaky lifeboat for Gregory Corso
        Sacred trickster
            No way
                What we know
            Poison arrow
        Anti orgasm
    Hey joni
Malibu gas station
    Calming the snake
        Walkin blue
            Massage the history
        The song "Am i dreaming" is played through an amp
    White Kross
Antenna
    Shadow of a Doubt
        Thunderclap for Bobby Pyn
            Guitar interlude
                Death valley '69
            Extended guitars

jennthebenn 07.07.2009 11:49 PM

My second-ever SY setlist...both from DC shows, both including songs that were replaced with new songs during the show. Thanks, Eric Baecht.

Bollocks_to_Pop 07.07.2009 11:56 PM

That has to be the best setlist so far this tour hands down. Hopefully the Oakland show will be similar to that.

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski 07.08.2009 12:57 AM

Way to go, Jenn! Did they play "Expressway"? Was that one of the changes? Jealous if they did play it!

jennthebenn 07.08.2009 01:07 AM

Played "Antenna" instead of "Expressway".

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski 07.08.2009 02:16 AM

What's your thought on Bobby Pyn? I really wanted to hear that live as I love it on the album.

jennthebenn 07.08.2009 02:31 AM

They omit the "yeah yeah"s and "whoa whoa"s live...which is kinda my
favorite part of the song. But they played it with tremendous CRUNCH,
and Thurston gave a solid delivery. It also helped that my area of the
crowd was hopping around and headbanging like SY had just brought
back "Stereo Sanctity".

nancykitten 07.08.2009 10:46 AM

shadow of a doubt? fuck.

INAZAWA 07.08.2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky
7/7/2009
Code:

Tom violence
    Leaky lifeboat for Gregory Corso
        Sacred trickster
            No way
                What we know
            Poison arrow
        Anti orgasm
    Hey joni
Malibu gas station
    Calming the snake
        Walkin blue
            Massage the history
        J5 interlude
    White Kross
Antenna
    Shadow of a Doubt
        Thunderclap for Bobby Pyn
            Guitar interlude
                Death valley '69
            Extended guitars

I really dig that setlist, I hope they play Tom V and Shadow when they go to Knoxville. :)

EVOLghost 07.08.2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Played "Antenna" instead of "Expressway".

\\\

GHEY!

Chris Lawrence 07.08.2009 08:07 PM

i like that they can get away with playing songs a trillion times, don't play them for a couple years, and then bring the same songs back and everybody acts like it's the most shocking thing ever. don't get me wrong, 'white kross' and 'shadow of a doubt' and even 'tom violence' etc are all great songs but does nobody remember the first half of this decade?

(i know i totally sound like a downer asshole, but i do LOVE these set lists, i just find the reaction funny! "whoa! white kross! tom violence! two of the songs they've literally played more often than any other songs ever! rare!!")

SuperCreep 07.08.2009 08:22 PM

I know they aren't rare at all. I suppose the reaction comes from the fact that I've only been a fan since '05, have only seen SY twice, and haven't seen them play White Kross, Shadow of a Doubt, or Tom Violence either of those shows. I'd just really like to see those songs live, I guess, even if a lot of older fans have probably seen them played plenty of times before.

rocky 07.08.2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky
7/7/2009
Code:

Walkin blue
            Massage the history
        The song "Am i dreaming" is played through an amp*
    White Kross
Antenna

* I thought this was something by the jackson 5 initially , but it seems to have been by "Atlantic starr".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
i like that they can get away with playing songs a trillion times, don't play them for a couple years, and then bring the same songs back and everybody acts like it's the most shocking thing ever. don't get me wrong, 'white kross' and 'shadow of a doubt' and even 'tom violence' etc are all great songs but does nobody remember the first half of this decade?

In case you have not heard the recording yet where you might be busy,
Does it help that before White Kross someone blasted an R&B slow jam through their amplifier until eventually a loud howling squall of noise replaces it, then Thurston yells "White kross!" and they start the song? ;)

mikec 07.08.2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

(i know i totally sound like a downer asshole, but i do LOVE these set lists, i just find the reaction funny! "whoa! white kross! tom violence! two of the songs they've literally played more often than any other songs ever! rare!!")

well my first sy show was in 2004 and even after seeing them 8 times now including the dc show, that was the first time hearing those songs.

Chris Lawrence 07.09.2009 01:14 AM

Yeah, I'm being deliberately hypocritical because I remember when I was first getting the opportunity to see them live, all I wanted to hear were the old songs and I'd always end up at shows where they did mostly new (unreleased) stuff. Drove me mad, no matter how good the shows were. Took me about 5 or 6 years of fandom before I finally got to hear all the staples (at once), but when the novelty of hearing those same old staples wears off you really just ache to hear the new material (or different old staples, ha ha).

What's funny(?) is that every few years new fans (or old fans not able to see them often) will go thru this same cycle!! It's totally understandable...and part of the reason the band has sustained itself so well, I think. Their concerts, particularly the way their new material develops over the course of a tour, is what keeps them vital. They've always been incredibly consistent as far playing almost exclusively new material on tour, so it should be no surprise.