Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   One band/artist you feel weird for never having picked up on (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=24861)

cars_willkillyou 08.28.2008 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
i own every fugazi album, like i said, i like them, but ive never gotten the hero worship they get (musically, but thier stance on 5 dollar shows, diy to the max, they get my utmost respect for that). i actually think the instrument is rather weak. i think the arguement was a masterpiece and thier best, they really went out at the top of thier game, they brought in all those amazing hypnotic dub experimentalist rhythms they had been hinting at thier entire career and brought them to the front. it was a very adventurous and very rewarding album. 13 songs and repeater are the others that i love respectivley. the rest i havnt put on in well over a year.

i have never given them hero status. I think they are a decent enough band to be considered a "good" band that is worth listening to. And I agree, Argument is better. Instrument was my introduction, and I recommend Instrument to anyone who has never listened to Fugazi before.

I remember hearing that they have only played a few shows at the $5 price...unwillingly. Most of their shows were said to be free-$3. I have no credible sources to back that up though. I read that in a magazine during my 9th grade year. I smoked a lot of regs back then. My memory could be wrong.

Thor Anders Aase 08.28.2008 05:06 AM

Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, REM.........

greedrex 08.28.2008 05:20 AM

good question.
Obviously the Rolling Stones , but i don't feel weird, i'd say i feel GOOD about ignoring them.
however apart from Cotrane, Miles or the Duke, i never seem to be able to dig jazz too much, especially contemporary acts...
Also stuff like Black Sabbath, Led Zep, don't really appeal to me.
good question again.
edit : the Fall, The Smiths, Wire, Black Blag

NWRA 08.28.2008 06:09 AM

Led Zep and The Smiths (love some of their singles but I can't imagine liking their albums). Gang Of Four too, considering I live in Leeds, but I don't like the sound of them (punk-funk, 'radical' lyrics).

gmku 08.28.2008 06:38 AM

I think a large part of whether one "gets into" a band or doesn't (not necessarily meaning dislikes, just doesn't get around to them), is a matter of "being there."

The reason I like many of the bands I do is that I was keenly aware of their presence on the scene as it were when they were in making music, in their heyday.

Going back and seeing if you can pick up on a band is much more difficult. They tend not to resonate as much if you come to them fresh 20 years after they've produced their stuff. I think that's why I'm lukewarm about the Smiths. Maybe if I'd paid more attention to them in the 80s, I'd feel differently about them.

Rob Instigator 08.28.2008 09:15 AM

it is true gmku

it is hard to get into certain acts unless you are younger also

noisereductions 08.28.2008 09:21 AM

INSTRUMENT is the only Fugazi album I have. I like it, but feel content to not seek out anything else at this point in time.

Rob Instigator 08.28.2008 09:23 AM

repeater and 13 songs are essential if you love fucking fierce guitar ROCK

This Is Not Here 08.28.2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWRA
Led Zep and The Smiths (love some of their singles but I can't imagine liking their albums). Gang Of Four too, considering I live in Leeds, but I don't like the sound of them (punk-funk, 'radical' lyrics).

You know, Led Zeppelin aren't often liked just for their singles. Especially in this country, considering they er... didn't release any. They're the textbook definition of album rock.

noisereductions 08.28.2008 10:17 AM

Never got into Scissor Shock.

afterthefact 08.28.2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
INSTRUMENT is the only Fugazi album I have. I like it, but feel content to not seek out anything else at this point in time.

Same here. I love that album, but I've never really gotten into their other stuff. I don't mean that as in I don't like their other stuff, I just haven't gotten into it; I haven't really looked into their other stuff.

noisereductions 08.28.2008 10:24 AM

Exactly how I feel. I respect them and all. But I don't know. I feel like if I bought other albums by them, I'd still only listen to INSTRUMENT when I was in the mood for them. If that makes sense.

Derek 08.28.2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Never got into Scissor Shock.

Adam Cooley will kill j00

atsonicpark 08.28.2008 11:09 AM

"Instrument" is not even a "real" Fugazi album though.

noisereductions 08.28.2008 11:15 AM

so?

Rob Instigator 08.28.2008 11:15 AM

you said it!

Rob Instigator 08.28.2008 11:15 AM

out of the ashtray
into the ASHTRAY!

atsonicpark 08.28.2008 11:23 AM

I'm saying, how can you judge a band based on a cd of demos and outtakes? That really is the absolute worst album you can possibly say, "I don't feel like I need to hear anything else by them" about. Yes, you have the right to say whatever you want -- I just find it odd. It's like judging Sonic Youth solely off of Silver Sessions or something.

Rob Instigator 08.28.2008 11:27 AM

we're all ...GUILTY!!!!

atsonicpark 08.28.2008 11:29 AM

You'd make a great cop.