Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   One band/artist you feel weird for never having picked up on (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=24861)

cars_willkillyou 08.27.2008 09:24 PM

listen to fugazi's "instrument" if you havent already. That was my introduction to Fugazi back in 2001. I was 14.

batreleaser 08.27.2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cars_willkillyou
listen to fugazi's "instrument" if you havent already. That was my introduction to Fugazi back in 2001. I was 14.

i own every fugazi album, like i said, i like them, but ive never gotten the hero worship they get (musically, but thier stance on 5 dollar shows, diy to the max, they get my utmost respect for that). i actually think the instrument is rather weak. i think the arguement was a masterpiece and thier best, they really went out at the top of thier game, they brought in all those amazing hypnotic dub experimentalist rhythms they had been hinting at thier entire career and brought them to the front. it was a very adventurous and very rewarding album. 13 songs and repeater are the others that i love respectivley. the rest i havnt put on in well over a year.

atsonicpark 08.27.2008 10:02 PM

Isn't this just another version of the thread "what band do you not like that everyone else does?" Or the thread "a band you feel like you're supposed to like but you don't?" Or any other variation of that?... Oh well. Anyway, I dunno, the people who said the Smiths and Radiohead... the fact is, those two bands just aren't that great... They have some great stuff, but all in all, it doesn't seem weird at all that you'd dislike them... they're not very consistent bands. Like, that's why I'm not going to list the Cure; I don't feel weird about disliking them, even people that love them will probably admit they're not a very consistent band...

A lot of people have told me I'm weird for disliking AIDS Wolf, even though I like lots of similiar bands. I just think they're shitty songwriters... just really boring to me...

I dunno. I guess the biggest one on my list is Black Flag. I can get into some of their songs but as a whole, I find them to be unbelievably boring. Greg Ginn will do something really creative and interesting on guitar and then do endless "jazzy" solos that sound like shit. The songs all feel very bereft of energy when they should be energetic -- it always sounds like the whole band is about to fall apart but in a bad way (not in a good way like old Husker Du). Anyway, I've listened to just about everything they've done and the only one I can sorta get into is something that was called "'82 Demos" or something like that. A LOT of people who have similiar tastes as me love this band... I just feel like there's something there I really am not hearing... eh?

EMMAh 08.27.2008 10:05 PM

I never liked any of those damn screamo type bands.

Even the person who has really similar music taste to me likes some of it.

Rob Instigator 08.27.2008 11:17 PM

this is not about bands you dislike at all

it is about bands that you have never even given a chance to see whether you like the or not

atsonicpark 08.27.2008 11:20 PM

Ah, you're right. The original post didn't make that completely clear and a lot of the replies didn't either.

In that case, my answer is none.

batreleaser 08.27.2008 11:21 PM

black flag unenergetic?

atsonicpark 08.27.2008 11:26 PM

Perhaps that was the wrong way to say it. They have plenty of energy, it is just channeled in ways that don't appeal to me... they feel unenergetic and sluggish in their delivery and playing on certain songs even when the tempo is fast. Whereas a band like, oh, Minor Threat also has plenty of energy, it's of a completely different kind. I guess it doesn't make sense to say it like that, but I really don't know how else to put it.

Rob Instigator 08.27.2008 11:29 PM

I agree about Black Flag.
they are "hardcore" but sluggish in a BAD way
it is hard to put it for me.

atsonicpark 08.27.2008 11:32 PM

Yes, that's what I was trying to say, but it's hard to convey what I actually mean when I say that. I think you get what I mean though.

SuperCreep 08.27.2008 11:34 PM

The Faces, I guess. A few people told me to listen to them, but I just refuse to listen to anything related to Rod Stewart. as dumb as that might sound.

Rob Instigator 08.27.2008 11:49 PM

that sounds quite sensible to me

atsonicpark 08.28.2008 12:02 AM

Uncle Egon

acousticrock87 08.28.2008 01:53 AM

The Rolling Stones

_slavo_ 08.28.2008 03:01 AM

Velvet Underground.

ZEROpumpkins 08.28.2008 03:04 AM

Jesus and Mary Lame
Portishit
Massive Snooze-Attack

_slavo_ 08.28.2008 03:06 AM

Massive Attack are allright, I guess. I used to love that "Protection" album a lot back at highschool. Especially the dub version by Mad Professor.

Death & the Maiden 08.28.2008 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Jesus and Mary Lame

I know you don't like the noise on Psychocandy, so here's a JAMC song which has melody and noise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_uDYocGWMo

fugazifan 08.28.2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I agree about Black Flag.
they are "hardcore" but sluggish in a BAD way
it is hard to put it for me.

i agree with you except for damaged.
damaged is an amazing album like no other. but the rest of their albums were recorded so terribley, and not in the good way. my war has some great songs on it but it is almost umlistenable because the band sound so out of synch with each other. and the same goes for a lot of their later albums, but without the good song aspect.
and they wrote some of the worst lyrics ever...

but damaged is still amazing.
i need to hear the process of weeding out

gualbert 08.28.2008 04:51 AM

I only know Damaged from BF. I think it's good , not great , so I have no intention to listen to their other records. I'm not fond of that heavy fat blues-rock sound.
I guess they became heroes because they were one of the first hc band , that's the big deal.