Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thurston Moore - Benediction (Matador, 2011) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=43270)

mil_pl 03.23.2011 05:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wllPXb4lkI

Pelle 03.23.2011 07:01 PM

I've listened to this song countless times today..it's beautiful!
can't wait to get that vinyl

Moshe 03.24.2011 05:41 AM

Tracklisting
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=HSE-60065

Japanese
1. Benediction
2. Illuminine
3. Circulation
4. Blood Never Lies
5. Orchard Street
6. In Silver Rain with a Paper Key
7. Mina Loy
8. Space
9. January 他

candymoan 03.24.2011 10:21 AM

am i the only one that has reservations about the new song?
i don't know - it's *soggy* - for the lack of a better word..

???

greedrex 03.25.2011 05:06 AM

i find it rather pretty but kind of dull too.

TheMadcapLaughs 03.26.2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
i find it rather pretty but kind of dull too.

agreed. thurston just doesn't have the voice and/or the lyrics to keep me interested for 5 minutes without much variation in a song

mysonichaircut 03.26.2011 07:54 AM

I like it very much, i think thurstons voice sounds great, and the simplicity makes it evan more interesting. I hope the other songs are evan better though...

The only thing i regret is that thurston chooses the cheap sound of an electric violin again instead of a real violin. I dont listen to trees outside just because of the crappy violin, and here it is again. Why dont you use an accoustic violin with the accoustic guitar?

Genteel Death 03.26.2011 10:43 AM

It's boring. Sorry.

scott v 03.26.2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysonichaircut
I like it very much, i think thurstons voice sounds great, and the simplicity makes it evan more interesting. I hope the other songs are evan better though...

The only thing i regret is that thurston chooses the cheap sound of an electric violin again instead of a real violin. I dont listen to trees outside just because of the crappy violin, and here it is again. Why dont you use an accoustic violin with the accoustic guitar?

does samara lubelski use a cheap electric violin?

doesn't seem like it to me, at least live...

i like the song, sorry. i like the sparse use of the harp that you can hear periodically going on. my only reservation is when the drums come in, for that last section i wish the drums had abit more oomph! and power.

Genteel Death 03.26.2011 01:19 PM

You have very low standards when it comes to writing a good song, nevermind the use of cheap instruments or the production. The best thing he's done recently is that Crystal Castles remix, and even that isn't as good as the average brilliance of SY.

Genteel Death 03.26.2011 01:26 PM

All three TM albums are painfully average, song writing-wise. Shame, because his element in SY is generally brilliant.

mysonichaircut 03.26.2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
does samara lubelski use a cheap electric violin?

doesn't seem like it to me, at least live...

i like the song, sorry. i like the sparse use of the harp that you can hear periodically going on. my only reservation is when the drums come in, for that last section i wish the drums had abit more oomph! and power.

I like it too. I just dont like the sound of the violin. Maybe i was wrong about the electric violin, i dont know how they did make the violin sound crappy. I listen to modern classical music all day, and also to some alternate countrey, and i play cello and electric guitar, so, i know, they did something. Maybe its just where they catch the tone.

ann ashtray 03.26.2011 07:19 PM

Thurston solo generally sounds like SY without the rest of the band. Trees was boring. Psychic Hearts has a few moments, but isn't anything extra special. Either way, he's Thurston + I'm looking forward to hearing the new record regardless.

Lee seems to have the ability to make Thurston's OK songwriting great. Lee, to me, is and always has been the most under appreciated element of SY.

Kosako 03.26.2011 10:35 PM

I'm simply don't like it! Call me whatever you want but I prefer old Sonic Youth's style songs or at least like his first solo album. There's no weird sounds or weird progressions. Don't know... I'm very dissapointed with the guys some time now.

Kegmama 03.27.2011 05:46 PM

like the song. cant wait for album release which will hopefully include tour. so in need of a live thurston fix.

Lamont Cranston 03.28.2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
Is it Christian Rock?

Is the song Catholic Block?

Mortte Jousimo 03.28.2011 01:40 AM

I like Samaraīs violin a lot, both Trees-album and Benediction-song. I think the violin brings to Benediction element that makes song little less mediocre. I agree that benediction is not the greatest song Thurston has made, but it is beautiful and itīs enough to me. Itīs very far away from the most of the new days music thatīs only reason is collect money away. I think itīs better Thurston is himself and not trying to be more artist than he is.

scott v 03.28.2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
You have very low standards when it comes to writing a good song, nevermind the use of cheap instruments or the production. The best thing he's done recently is that Crystal Castles remix, and even that isn't as good as the average brilliance of SY.

I have low standards???
how do you know this of me based off of one song???
you don't know my tastes...
whatever birdbrain.

where is your album and songs if you are so "professional" and "upscale"?
where is your music if you are soo "good"...

scott v 03.28.2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysonichaircut
I like it too. I just dont like the sound of the violin. Maybe i was wrong about the electric violin, i dont know how they did make the violin sound crappy. I listen to modern classical music all day, and also to some alternate countrey, and i play cello and electric guitar, so, i know, they did something. Maybe its just where they catch the tone.

yeah my guess its the production style of Beck, to me it sorta sounds like his album, Sea Changes in the recording quality... don't have much of an opinion of that album.

deflinus 03.28.2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Lee seems to have the ability to make Thurston's OK songwriting great. Lee, to me, is and always has been the most under appreciated element of SY.

he needs to quit making noise and finally release that solo album everybody wants. he better do it soon otherwise i'll forget how underrated this guy is