Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Things You Bought Today thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=24560)

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 03:54 AM

yeah
like a fashion designer i really love is gareth pugh but his stuff isn't really wearable. some of the stuff from spring/summer 08 is but stuff like this really isn't workable on a street fashion level:

pbradley 09.05.2008 03:56 AM

Fuck, I want a cube head thing.

MellySingsDoom 09.05.2008 03:57 AM

^^^The ensemble on the right I could imagine you wearing at a club/party, but minus the box/hat thing on the head. As for the one on the left, the "rat/mouse" round the shoulders thing is cute, but the whole outfit would be better without that, me reckon.

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 03:58 AM

that one with the cube head is my favourite piece of his
it definitely could be worn without the cube head, actually but most of the time that kind of stuff just isn't practical
i love anything that's black and sparkles though so i probably would wear it anyway

MellySingsDoom 09.05.2008 04:02 AM

Oh, talking of things black and sparkly, I take it you got your Keith Richards t-shirt that you ordered a while ago?

Looking at the cube head piece, I was trying to figure out the material that the dress is made from. It's funny, it looks almost rubbery in a certain way.

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 04:04 AM

oh yeah it's somewhere around here

if i had a closer picture i could probably tell what it was made of

MellySingsDoom 09.05.2008 04:08 AM

On the glam goth look, I recall once seeing Dita von Teese in one of those "dominatrix" dresses (the sort which lace up at the sides) - that was all in black, and what with her figure and beauty, she looked awesome. A real 50's va-va-voom thing going on there.

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 04:13 AM

i love her style. she always looks perfect.
i'm more into the 70s glammy stuff than the 50s, it's less restrictive and a bit wilder, more fun.

ZEROpumpkins 09.05.2008 04:20 AM

Hot Water Music's Forever and Counting on clear vinyl

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
^ yeah when i read the von Teese name i thought that this isnt you, you are more free styled--sorry to intrude and havent read everything.
the von Teese style, is of women like girlgun i m thinking also a dear friend of mine sort of has it. i like it. but not for me either. i could do a variation i guess, but only for you know one time or so.

yeah, exactly, i'm much more avant garde about it
my mum would say my style is funky and i suppose i would have to agree. dita is much more classic.

MellySingsDoom 09.05.2008 04:28 AM

This is interesting with the glam fashion thing - in the UK, it often means a strictly 70's revival, without updating the style for now, which kinda misses the point of glam, whch was very sexy, futuristic and pandrogynous back in the 70's.

MellySingsDoom 09.05.2008 04:33 AM

Nefeli - you wear what makes you feel comfortable and happy. I love handmade t-shirts - they're really personal, aren't they?

I'm going to a really good second hand clothes stores on Monday to pick up some great looking shirts for cheap. Might look into getting a pair of trousers too.

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 04:36 AM

people should just wear whatever they feel like and sod what anyone thinks of it

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 04:41 AM

i used to make t shirts when i was probably about 13 with sharpies

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 04:43 AM

permanent markers

MellySingsDoom 09.05.2008 04:46 AM

I'm thinking of getting some personalised band/film T-shirts done - mainly trash films and bands like Loop.

Cantankers - I tried to rep you for use of the word "sod" - your command of English-ims is most fine! Also (and this is embarrasing), when I first heard of the word "Sharpie" many years ago, I thought that was the name of a knife. D'oh!!!!

MellySingsDoom 09.05.2008 04:48 AM

Nefeli - have you tried Coke Zero? That stuff tastes pretty meh to me.

Oh yeah, back on topic - the last thing I bought/ordered was two Brian Jonestown Massacre CDs from their own site - support the artist and all that.

Trasher02 09.05.2008 04:51 AM

I just went out to buy a pack of smokes

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 04:52 AM

my command of british english is probably better than my command of US english. ha.
also lol sharpie as a knife.

coke zero (in america anyway) tastes exactly like regular.
i always drink cherry coke zero. if it tastes the same, why drink all the extra calories?

MellySingsDoom 09.05.2008 04:59 AM

I've no idea what they put in Coke Zero here (antifreeze?) but it really taste vile. Waste ye not your money on this next time yer in the UK!

Mmm, ciggies - must stock up on some more myself.

Nefeli - what did you buy from the supermarket then?