Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Suggestions for an East Coast road trip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=111775)

SpaceCadetHayden 05.16.2015 11:22 PM

Suggestions for an East Coast road trip

hi SYG friends. in August(17-30 tentatively) i am going on a road trip to the east coast. if anyone has any suggestions for must see shit the plan is to go to my buddy's rave/gabber show in Philly and spend a couple of days there, hit NYC for 4-5 days, Bmore for a few and maybe DC or other cities if someone gives me a reason.

What's fun in these places? we plan on seeing MoMA and a few other touristy locations. my partner is really into modern art and pop art so he's picked a few places. i like good restaurants and am interested in any you'd suggest that won't break the bank or require a suit. any other suggestions are welcome! i like big record/dvd stores thank

schizophrenicroom 05.17.2015 08:24 AM

i can't help but just want to say hi

!@#$%! 05.17.2015 09:12 AM

owwww... it's the board's kids! look at all of you all growed up now. amazing.

===

dc in august is a hot sticky place, the wind doesn't blow stuck between the sea & the continent & hot air hangs over the vast pavement unmoved. the city gets quiet as everyone flees to beaches 3 hours or more away. air conditioning is a must and ozone levels can get deadly-- though less so in late august. tourists and congressional interns are everywhere so that can be a pain if you live there-- fuckers don't know to stand right on the metro escalators. but there are good art museums at the smithsonian and they are all FREE-- like the hirshhorn, the national art gallery (east wing is for modern art), and the smaller freer & sackler galleries around the main castle. you can get lost for days there.

dc didn't have big record stores a decade ago. you'd have to go to balwmor for that. i don't know if those stores still exist though, sorry. even kim's in NY closed didn't it? i forget.

but

in august i'd be compelled to head north instead-- i fucking love maine in the summer. of course there's nothing but sea & trees & blueberries & lobsters & canada. but it's beautiful. on the way there you could hit cape cod and spend time in provincetown which is a historic place. of course your being quasi-albino might make it hard for you to visit beach towns, but i though i'd mention anyway because mucho pecs in p-town ha ha ha.

oh if you're thinking of seeing the barnes foundation in philadelphia you gotta check out the movie "the art of the steal" first.

what else. i don't know. great to see you here.

Bytor Peltor 05.19.2015 11:16 AM

Hello, Hayden - by East Coast, are you basically talking about: Philly, NY and Boston......or will you be traveling further South?

Academy Records

_slavo_ 05.20.2015 04:16 AM

Hi there Hayden,

There's a very neat record store in Baltimore called Sound Garden:
http://www.cdjoint.com/

I was there 13 years ago and I absolutely loved it. Now I checked the website and found out that the store still exists and is doing well. Worth checking, for sure!

!@#$%! 05.20.2015 11:25 AM

^^ yes!! sound garden. i'm happy to hear they still live. fells point wasn't the greatest neighborhood on earth (a sort of college/fratboy hangout) but things have been changing so fast in that city lately i bet i wouldn't recognize the place anymore. the mexican bodegas up the street have probably been converted to frou-frou wine boutiques by now.

_slavo_ 05.21.2015 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
^^ yes!! sound garden. i'm happy to hear they still live. fells point wasn't the greatest neighborhood on earth (a sort of college/fratboy hangout) but things have been changing so fast in that city lately i bet i wouldn't recognize the place anymore. the mexican bodegas up the street have probably been converted to frou-frou wine boutiques by now.

fells point was a very neat place back when I was in Baltimore (2002). Even more so, that it neighbored the infamous Inner City projects. THAT was a bad place.

!@#$%! 05.22.2015 01:17 PM

i more or less lived in federal hill 98/99 and early 2000 (had a grilfriend there)

rarely went to fells point, but i don't remember any housing projects there-- just a lot of construction/gentrification. up the road was a mexican neighborhood, and then patterson park to the east (she later moved to patterson park).

west side was rough though

ah, good memories. i loved that bombed-out town.

_slavo_ 05.23.2015 01:23 AM

the projects were situated east of Johns Hopkins hospial, as far as I remember