Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Nels Cline LOVES 'A Thousand Leaves" and to heck with the rest of you (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112505)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.19.2015 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Hits just has so great atmosphere whole through, like you are traveling in a hot desert alone. Same kind of desert feelings I find Made In USA.

Agreed

hirsute_biped 10.20.2015 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Hits just has so great atmosphere whole through, like you are traveling in a hot desert alone. Same kind of desert feelings I find Made In USA.

Methinks great atmosphere of dew covered garden/muddy river at psychedelic/beatnik art colony. I would ascribe hot lonely desert travel feelings to another set of records and artists, though I agree on the ambient tracks from Made in USA [the diversity of our perspectives is our strength].

mil_pl 10.20.2015 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
ATL is my 2nd favorite after EVOL.

Who is the girl in yr signature? I always wondered, but was afraid to ask.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.20.2015 02:25 PM

Six Hits reminds me of the misty mountain valley that we stumbled into after playing like children in the meadow of Wild Flower Soul that led us through the dank forest that is Hoarfrost, a foggy and magical place where every thing is quieted with anticipation as we discover the mystery of our inner selvers in Karen Koltrane

hedgehog 10.21.2015 01:49 AM

I love the general feel of ATL... great songs, track order, cover art, etc... It's a really tight package but Hits Of Sunshine does kinda drag on a bit for my tastes where as the other longer songs never get boring. All in all, it's a perfect and logical follow up to Washing Machine and, yeah, I agree that Kim really nails it on this album, as does she on WM.

jlnpgt 10.21.2015 02:16 AM

speaking about ATL, it's time to rewatch these 2 great videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjmakcIP5x4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jj_hCTh-UU

greenlight 10.21.2015 01:36 PM

how come nobody mentioned Female Mechanic On Duty yet! such a blast!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.21.2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
how come nobody mentioned Female Mechanic On Duty yet! such a blast!

Tis and i agree with everyone ATL is Kim's best work mos def..

In her top 5 with SY

Washing Machine
Rather Ripped
Dirty
Sonic Nurse

The Soup Nazi 10.21.2015 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themawt71
when nels toured as a duo with glen kotche they covered karen koltrane.
it was good good good

THAT LIVE COVER IS THE SHIT AND EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO IT RIGHT NOW.

>TNS< 10.22.2015 05:55 AM

I remember during the ATL tour there was a bit of disappointment at alt.music.sonic-youth initially because sy was playing only ATL songs+ death valley 69. I recall someone at a.m.sy saying smth like yo guys wait, last time sy did this was during the daydream nation tour. I really feel like ATL is the 2nd zenith of their discography, along with DD.

ATL is also a culmination of the initial wave of SYR improvs and whatnot. Truely engaging shit.

I saw them live in 98, and it was absolutely a tour de force situation.

Actually it's the last sy record that I loved. Stuff after nycgf is bland for my taste.

themawt71 10.22.2015 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
THAT LIVE COVER IS THE SHIT AND EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO IT RIGHT NOW.

thanks soup nazi!

was looking for it on yt but couldn't find it.

Mortte Jousimo 10.22.2015 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by >TNS<
I remember during the ATL tour there was a bit of disappointment at alt.music.sonic-youth initially because sy was playing only ATL songs+ death valley 69. I recall someone at a.m.sy saying smth like yo guys wait, last time sy did this was during the daydream nation tour. I really feel like ATL is the 2nd zenith of their discography, along with DD.

ATL is also a culmination of the initial wave of SYR improvs and whatnot. Truely engaging shit.

Actually it's the last sy record that I loved. Stuff after nycgf is bland for my taste.

I think it would be heaven to me if I saw SY play ATL whole through...also Sister and EVOL & Washing Machine.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.22.2015 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by >TNS<

ATL is mos def a high water mark.. i saw them play it live in 1999

The Soup Nazi 10.22.2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themawt71
thanks soup nazi!

was looking for it on yt but couldn't find it.

hirsute_biped 10.22.2015 10:03 PM

I saw Destroy All Nels Cline open for and almost steal the show from our dear Sonics on the '98 Thousand Leaves tour, good times. Downloaded SY set years later.

EVOLghost 10.23.2015 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mil_pl
Who is the girl in yr signature? I always wondered, but was afraid to ask.

I htought I replied. sorry. It's Kashiyuka from the jpop group Perfume.

EVOLghost 10.23.2015 11:51 AM

Karen Coltrane is better than Karen revisited too.

Mortte Jousimo 10.23.2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Karen Coltrane is better than Karen revisited too.

I love both very much! Hard to say which is better.

Genteel Death 10.23.2015 09:57 PM

The Ineffable Me has some of the strangest riffing ever.

>TNS< 10.24.2015 12:40 AM

anyone know where the mote/hoarfrost medley could be found? it was played live in 99 or 00