Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Tokolosh 01.09.2007 04:51 AM

I loved Streep in Adaptation and The Hours.

jon boy 01.09.2007 05:07 AM

whenever i see streep i also think of glen close and she makes me thing of dangerous liasions which is an amazing film.

jon boy 01.09.2007 05:20 AM

i just like it when she looks right into the camera while having a dialogue with malkovich and just says 'war'. the look on her face is just great.

jon boy 01.09.2007 05:24 AM

what about keanu? haha he is always so wooden and i had to laugh at him in that film.

Tokolosh 01.09.2007 05:32 AM

I saw it years ago. Wouldn't mind seeing it again soon.

cuetzpalin 01.09.2007 05:39 AM

well the two last movies i've seen are sin city and the corpse bride:) not my cup of tea but they are pretty good. esp the corpse bride, tim burton is my man

musicfallinglikesnow 01.09.2007 06:38 AM

On the movie theatre, "The Departed". That oughta win a prize or something for edition. Anyway, I liked the kinda Shakespearean story. DiCaprio's character is almost heroic, in a Socratic way. He seems to be the only one who knows who he really is, despite having a double identity, and that in itself is an irony.
In other words, maybe not classic Scorsese in many aspects, but I liked it a lot. Quite a drama.

musicfallinglikesnow 01.09.2007 06:42 AM

...And at home, "Miami Blues" for the nth time. Have anyone seen that movie? It's pretty obscure, few people I know have seen it.
It's bound to be a comedy but it's pretty sad. Tarantino bases a lot of his work in Charles Willeford, the man who wrote the book it is based on.
And Alec Baldwin's and Jennifer Jason Leigh's performances are really good. I have a soft spot for Baldwin I must admit and here he's in his best.
I know I'm gonna get spanked for that!

musicfallinglikesnow 01.09.2007 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
deadman

I have the soundtrack for that movie, by Neil Young. Always wanted to see it but never was able to.
The soundtrack is great, lots of noise.

cuetzpalin 01.09.2007 06:49 AM

there is also a neil young & crazy horses dead man concert..

musicfallinglikesnow 01.09.2007 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nature scene
The Good Shepherd... it was okay although it never had a climax. Kind of like Syriana (in style not content) but with even less action. It's long, but really interesting. I would watch it again to look for some of the things I missed the first time around.

I really enjoyed "Syriana"...Everything happening in the Middle East seems so unavoidable because it is so complex...Well the movie showed that complexity very well I think.

musicfallinglikesnow 01.09.2007 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuetzpalin
there is also a neil young & crazy horses dead man concert..

Didn't know about that!

jon boy 01.09.2007 06:56 AM

syriana was good but so complex i found my mind wandering at times. good night and good luck was another good george clooney one.

musicfallinglikesnow 01.09.2007 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
i miss my tuesday night films in berlin. the bookshop just round the corner used to show two films for 3 euros and that price included a drink. it was always interesting films or documentaries too and not the run of the mill blockbusters. i have seen many an amazing film there.

We need something of the like here!

musicfallinglikesnow 01.09.2007 07:04 AM

Quote:

syriana was good but so complex i found my mind wandering at times. good night and good luck was another good george clooney one.

Well I saw it twice, to tie up some missing points. The second time it was fine, hehehe.

jon boy 01.09.2007 07:05 AM

set something up. i used to do it when i was at college although the films i used to show not many people turned up too.

jon boy 01.09.2007 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicfallinglikesnow
Well I saw it twice, to tie up some missing points. The second time it was fine, hehehe.

yes it warrants a second look doesnt it.

i cant believe clooney was lambasted for those two films. i suppose it was by the same people who re named french fries freedom fries.

jon boy 01.09.2007 07:08 AM

Quote:

i cant believe clooney was lambasted for those two films. i suppose it was by the same people who re named french fries freedom fries.

musicfallinglikesnow 01.09.2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

set something up. i used to do it when i was at college although the films i used to show not many people turned up too.

You're right. The only good place where they rent non-conventional movies (to put it somehow) is a place in downtown Buenos Aires. I live outside Buenos Aires. They give you only a day of time for rental. I should rent a few, invite my friends home (well that first) then go downtown the other day to give them back.
I've been buying DVDs abroad but "Fitzcarraldo" for instance, has subtitles in English and German. Most of my friends only speak Spanish.

musicfallinglikesnow 01.09.2007 07:13 AM

Quote:

Eek! Some people with power really sucks...big time...Yes I don't know what's gonna happen with Clooney's career after those...

Edit: Well all people with power eventually...

jon boy 01.09.2007 07:15 AM

shame about the video store.

the thing i did at college was very hit and miss. i showed drugstore cowboy and two people showed up. people asked for mainstream films and 50 showed up.

is city of god set in buenos airies?

musicfallinglikesnow 01.09.2007 07:25 AM

Quote:

shame about the video store.

the thing i did at college was very hit and miss. i showed drugstore cowboy and two people showed up. people asked for mainstream films and 50 showed up.

is city of god set in buenos airies?

Sorry my PC crashed. I haven't seen it but I think is set somewhere in Brazil.

musicfallinglikesnow 01.09.2007 07:50 AM

Quote:

Sorry my PC crashed. I haven't seen it but I think is set somewhere in Brazil.

It's Río de Janeiro.

noumenal 01.09.2007 08:23 AM

Fata Morgana -- Werner Herzog

jon boy 01.09.2007 08:25 AM

thought so.

wasnt some of the motorcylce diaries set there?

musicfallinglikesnow 01.09.2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

thought so.

wasnt some of the motorcylce diaries set there?

Hello! Yes, The Motorcycle Diaries begins in Buenos Aires, then moves to the province of Córdoba and from there up to a good part of Latin America, including Perú and Macchu Picchu, ending in a subsidiary river of the Amazon river.
I loved that movie, it's one of my favorites.

Silent Dan Speaks 01.09.2007 04:03 PM

I watched Lost in Translation last night, and I loved it.

musicfallinglikesnow 01.09.2007 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Dan Speaks
I watched Lost in Translation last night, and I loved it.

Oh that must be my all-time favorite!

Richard Pryor on Fire 01.09.2007 04:07 PM

Snakes on a Plane- "There is only one man who could get this many illegal snakes..."

Norma J 01.09.2007 05:12 PM

2:37

Powerful movie.

Tokolosh 01.10.2007 05:45 AM

I'll be spending this entire week watching Season II of Twin Peaks.

jon boy 01.10.2007 05:46 AM

the running man was on the other night, i couldnt stop laughing.

jon boy 01.10.2007 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
I'll be spending this entire week watching Season II of Twin Peaks.

does this mean you will start talking backwards and your posts will be cryptic ramblings? watching that much lynch can alter your mind permanantly.

Tokolosh 01.10.2007 06:12 AM

.os sseug I

jon boy 01.10.2007 06:17 AM

was she? who was she in it?

DemonBox 01.10.2007 06:19 AM

The Heroes of Telemark, an American WW2 film, filmed in Rukjan, Norway, about the norwegian resistance group in Telemark who blew up the Nazis heavy-water factory.

Fun to watch, but not particulary good.

A Thousand Threads 01.10.2007 06:26 AM

not really a movie, i know

Tokolosh 01.10.2007 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
she was girl who agent cooper had a crush on..there is a scene, they are in a boat in a lake and he sees her wrists (she had tried to comit suicide). dont remember her series name! (or what happens with her)

edit.
http://www.twinpeaks.org/

Heather Graham plays Annie Blackburn and Sherilyn Fenn plays Audrey Horne, who has a crush on Special Agent Dale Cooper.

jon boy 01.10.2007 06:33 AM

Sherilyn Fenn made my heart beat faster. i can remember her tieing a cherry stalk with her tongue!

i cant remember heather grahams character for the life of me. i will go back and watch it now.

Tokolosh 01.10.2007 06:45 AM

Maybe it's because she's only in 6 episodes of the tv series and "Fire Walk with Me"(film)?