Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Trump really a serious contender for the Republican nomination? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=113183)

Bytor Peltor 10.22.2020 12:50 PM

Donald Trump was impeached by Democrats to protect Joe Biden!!!

!@#$%! 10.22.2020 12:59 PM

The Soup Nazi 10.22.2020 01:04 PM

This is epic... :D:D:D

h8kurdt 10.22.2020 02:16 PM

Well you're gonna have to explain how she can be a good fit for you guys. I mean, you do know her history and views, right?

Bytor Peltor 10.22.2020 06:36 PM

The free minded freethinkers who thought the Steele Dossier was a legitimate document, those stories NEVER BLOCKED by twitter or FB, are now calling verified emails from Hunter Biden 'Russian Disinformation'

!@#$%! 10.22.2020 07:48 PM

h8kurdt 10.23.2020 04:14 AM

So has anyone changed their votes after those debates? Didn't think so.

Elections don't half run on and on and on and on.

Bytor Peltor 10.23.2020 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
So has anyone changed their votes after those debates? Didn't think so.

Elections don't half run on and on and on and on.

What the American press refused to cover, Trump brought it up. Biden lied over and over, I think the internet is going to crash today from all the search engines with people fact checking!

Best Argument For Trump 2020

!@#$%! 10.23.2020 06:25 AM

raw pork

tw2113 10.23.2020 09:56 AM

Anyone undecided about if they'll vote for Trump or not isn't going to show up in the first place.

I'll be glad when this 4 year long election cycle is over, though we'll be moving into the next election cycle on November 4th, regardless of who wins.

h8kurdt 10.23.2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Anyone undecided about if they'll vote for Trump or not isn't going to show up in the first place.

I'll be glad when this 4 year long election cycle is over, though we'll be moving into the next election cycle on November 4th, regardless of who wins.

And whoever wins the loser will have a fair share of protests and uproar to follow. Reckon the whole thing is gonna be a mess.

!@#$%! 10.23.2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113

it’s not about election cycles anymore. it’s about kooky conspiracy theories, outright lies, and rampant lunacy.

it’s designed to inflame the stupids and turn everyone else off.

however this time around i think it has backfired and we’ll see greater turnout. “normal guy 2020” has a chance.

but still so much to do...

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
And whoever wins the loser will have a fair share of protests and uproar to follow. Reckon the whole thing is gonna be a mess.

there’s a fair share and there’s an unfair share.

i expect the deficit hawk protests to be astroturfed again if biden wins and flips the senate.

but our infrastructure upgrade is overdue regardless...

better to use debt to refit our ports and improve our energy grid and expand rural internet than to just make billionaires richer as we’re doing right now.

_tunic_ 10.23.2020 05:06 PM

President Trump’s Twitter accessed by security expert who guessed password ‘maga2020!’

The Soup Nazi 10.23.2020 06:55 PM

And for the second time, at that: first in 2016 with "yourefired". That's how very stable geniuses roll.

The Soup Nazi 10.23.2020 07:07 PM

What's the other title of Star Wars: Episode IV? ;)

Quote:

I was wrong that Trump would lose in 2016. I’m doubling down in 2020.

Opinion by Fareed Zakaria
Columnist
Oct. 22, 2020 at 7:25 p.m. GMT-3

In 2016, I was one of those people who didn’t think Donald Trump could win the presidency. Like many, I studied the polls and believed they showed a comfortable margin voting against him. I thought people would see through him. He was just too weird, too vulgar, utterly ignorant about most policy issues and pathologically incapable of telling the truth, even about trivial things. During the 2016 campaign, for example, he claimed that he had met Vladimir Putin, something that was easy to disprove.

But I think what convinced me most that Trump would lose was that I believed in a different America. Trump had catapulted himself onto the political stage with birtherism — a shameless effort to exploit White prejudice against the first Black president, Barack Obama. Trump announced his campaign for the White House by making slurs against Mexicans. He proposed a “total and complete shutdown” of the nation’s borders to all Muslims from anywhere in the world. Throughout the campaign, his rhetoric toward foreigners and minorities was insulting.

I didn’t believe Americans would go for this. I arrived in the United States in 1982, in the midst of a deep recession, as a brown-skinned student on a scholarship with a strange name, no money and no contacts. I found a country that welcomed me with open arms. I still remember being stunned at how friendly and genuinely warm people were to me. I had been more aware of being Muslim in India than I was in America.

Perhaps I lived a sheltered life in New England college towns and New York City, but I saw very little of Trump’s brand of naked racism. I knew that it existed, of course, had read about it in books and newspapers, seen it on television and in movies, but I didn’t truly understand the magnitude of the phenomenon. So I placed less weight on the evidence for Trump’s victory than I should have. I simply couldn’t believe someone with his racially charged worldview could win over the nation.

And here’s the thing: I still don’t. First, many Americans voted for Trump despite his race-baiting, not because of it. But more important, a majority of Americans disapprove of Trump and have for almost his entire presidency. His average approval rating throughout his term is the lowest of any president since we started counting. As the New York Times’s Nate Cohn has said, Trump’s luck was that he ran against the second-most unpopular presidential candidate in modern American history (after him). Because of the electoral college and small margins in three states, he was able to capture the White House.

There are parts of Trump’s coalition who are anxious about the country’s future — and their own place in it — and are thus susceptible to the snake oil being peddled by a clever salesman. The United States is changing. If you consider the core of Trump’s support — Whites without a college degree — you see that they are shrinking as a share of the adult population. If you take the core of Joe Biden’s support — Whites with a college degree and minorities — they are growing in even greater measure. The New York Times analyzed the data and found that in Florida, the core Trump voting bloc of non-college-educated Whites has fallen by 359,000 since 2016, while the Biden coalition has grown by 1,579,000 people. In Pennsylvania, Trump’s base shrank by 431,000, while Biden’s grew by 449,000.

If Biden wins, his challenge will be to make all Americans understand that the country has always been a grand experiment, an attempt to create the first universal nation. Today, living up to that ideal means embracing all kinds of people — Black and White, native-born and immigrant, gay and straight, and many more. It’s a messy process, and it can seem disruptive and disorderly. It sometimes gets bogged down in squabbles over terminology and political correctness. But it is all part of a noble effort to ensure that everyone in this country finally feels they are included in the American Dream. Ever since the nation’s birth, it has gradually expanded the idea of liberty and democracy, making America great by surging forward into the future rather than lapsing back into nostalgia for the past.

Meanwhile, I will take my chances and once again predict that Trump will lose this election. Humbled as I am after these four years, I would still rather bet on — and believe in — the best in America.

The Soup Nazi 10.23.2020 07:23 PM

On the other hand, "betting on and believing in the best of America" is kinda hard to do right now, isn't it. New York Times op-ed by novelist Brian Groh:

Quote:

The Skull in My Backyard

The radicalization of a small American town.

Oct. 23, 2020

LAWRENCEBURG, Ind. — For 20 years, off and on, I’ve lived in this small, blue-collar town about 30 minutes west of Cincinnati. My grandparents, immigrants from Germany, bought my old farmhouse, on 15 acres, during World War II. I’ve always felt that this town embodies much of what I love about the Midwest: friendliness, a lack of pretension and a prevailing sense of decency among neighbors.

A few weeks ago, I met up with a good friend, an 84-year-old retiree named Frank, who lives nearby. He told me that he’d put up a “Biden-Harris” lawn sign, and within 36 hours it had been stolen. In response, his girlfriend taped another sign to the inside of their ranch home’s front window. Frank immediately took it down. “The chair I like to sit in is right there,” he explained. “The next time they come, I’m afraid it might be a brick, or a bullet.” Just a few years ago, I would have said that Frank was overreacting. Now I’m not so sure.

Over the past four years my hometown has become radicalized. This is a loaded word, but it’s the only way to describe it.

As recently as 2008, I saw Bill Clinton speak at our community center, where the crowd was so large that people had to listen to him from loudspeakers in a nearby firehouse. The mood was electric. “People are broke at the end of every month,” he said. “This has to change.” He promised that with Democratic leadership, it would. An aggressive new energy policy would bring jobs, with higher incomes.

And this promise was very welcome. At the time, the best job I could find was at a call center, selling home security systems. But I felt hopeful. I stuck an Obama sign in my yard and a campaign bumper sticker on my old Corolla. Like a lot of my neighbors, I believed that Democrats would, in fact, improve the town’s fortunes, and on election night, Barack Obama carried the state.

But things didn’t improve. Not really. The latest census reports median household income in Lawrenceburg as $30,735, with a little over 32 percent of us in poverty. And in 2014, according to The New York Times, our small county (which is over 97 percent white) sent more people to prison than San Francisco. In January, our hospital cited a “higher number of uninsured patients” as a reason it needed to “right-size” its work force by laying off 31 employees and eliminating behavioral health services.

And there are darker omens. Last fall, my teenage nephew came running into the house, wide-eyed, saying he’d found a human skull in the woods. I followed him until, panting at the bottom of a ravine, I saw the skull trapped in a thicket of sticks and leaves, missing several of its front teeth. The police arrived, and for the rest of the night, I watched from my bedroom window as flashlights swept over the long grass, through the woods, until they were finally swallowed by darkness.

It was an overdose, an officer told me later, the victim most likely another casualty of the nation’s opioid epidemic. (In 2017, in this county, there were 80 opioid prescriptions for every 100 residents.) The young man seemed to have died higher up on the hill, where they found more of his remains. The rain must have washed his skull down the slope.

The skull felt like a portent, but also a turning point. Months later, I noticed a vendor at a roadside stand selling Trump flags. “Trump 2020: Keep America Great,” one read. Another read “Trump 2020: No More [Expletive].” It was more than half a year away from the election, and I remember thinking: Why flags? A flag was something people fought under, and for; something people carried to war. By the summer, another vendor popped up selling flags with even bolder slogans like “Trump 2020: [Expletive] Your Feelings,” “Liberty or Die,” “Make Liberals Cry Again.” The economy was in the dumps but the flag business was booming.

And not just Trump flags. In the past few months, I have seen three Confederate flags hoisted in neighbors’ yards, where previously I’d seen none. Just a few weeks ago, two masked men appeared outside our high school, holding a large KKK flag and fliers, apparently scouting for young recruits.

At times, all of this has felt like a horror movie, where it starts off happily enough — in a sun-drenched, idyllic farmhouse — and then the darkness slowly takes over. The change has occurred so slowly that at times, I hardly noticed it, until one day I barely recognized my hometown.

Last week, I drove down for a closer look at the nearest Trump stand, where alongside the flags hung Trump T-shirts. One read, “I’m a Deplorable.” And it reminded me of my grandparents, of how they felt while still in Germany: willing to work as hard as anyone but seeing no way to improve their circumstances. In my more charitable moments, I can see my neighbors’ xenophobia and racism and their Trump-loving thuggishness as symptoms of alienation from people who feel forsaken and disdained. This is, perhaps, the part of me that still feels deeply connected to where I live. But I’ve been appalled by the ugliness I’ve seen here this past year. And more often, in the dwindling autumn light, I find myself staring at my grandparents’ old farmhouse and wondering if it’s finally time to pack my bags.

The Soup Nazi 10.23.2020 11:59 PM

Sharon Van Etten got it right in ten words:

The Soup Nazi 10.24.2020 09:41 PM

And then there were none:

Murkowski Shifts Stance, Says She Will Vote to Confirm Barrett to Supreme Court

More: https://news.google.com/stories/CAAq...S&ceid=US%3Aen

The Soup Nazi 10.25.2020 03:48 PM

Tim Alberta’s Funny Feelings

Over the past month, Politico Magazine chronicler of US politics Tim Alberta has written of “funny feelings” he’s had about the election: hunches, accumulated in his travels through American political battlegrounds, of under-appreciated electoral dynamics.

On Oct. 6, he proffered four: that “Trump fatigue” was peaking at the wrong time for the president, “wash[ing] out” potential sympathy over his Covid-19 diagnosis; that the “silent majority” is one of opposition to Trump; that Democrats may come to regret pushing for more early and absentee voting, as those ballots are subject to disqualification when people don’t follow envelope rules to a “t,” fail to sign them, or when the ballots are delivered too late; and that “Trump might lose women voters by numbers we’ve never imagined.” On Oct. 13, he tendered three more: that yard signs point (very inexactly) to “multiplied” Trump support in MAGA-heavy areas, while Biden signs have cropped up in surprising places, like blue-collar pockets in the Midwest and in heavily GOP suburbs; that turnout will soar to historic heights, as the choice this year is an accessible one; and that a “Biden blowout” would prompt the GOP establishment to move on from Trump, “quickly.”

This week, Alberta’s antennae received two more signals: that the “suburban realignment isn’t just a female phenomenon,” as White, college-educated men seem to be turning against Trump and could be the election’s key demographic—and that broadly, “[w]e’re overthinking this campaign.” Of that last hunch, Alberta writes: “Generations of pollsters and journalists have fixated on the question of which candidate voters would rather have a beer with—a window into how personality translates into political success. Here’s the thing: Americans have been having a beer with Trump for the past four years—every morning, every afternoon, every evening. ... Like the drunk at the bar, he won’t shut up. ... Americans are tired of having beers with Trump. His own supporters are tired of having beers with Trump.”

Skuj 10.25.2020 03:52 PM

Is Susan Collins still very concerned? Even Ray Charles could see this coming. I cannot watch that shitshow tomorrow. It will make me ill. McConnel should rot in hell. And I hope Obama will apologize for being such an idiot on this one in his upcoming memoir, which I will buy.