Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Voices VS Good Songs (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=25497)

sarramkrop 09.13.2008 09:56 AM

Voices VS Good Songs

Never been into it, considering that I like (most of) his music. It seems a little too baritone for my liking. Worst still is that I find his rock persona, I dunno, a little stupid. It's most certainly just my own impression, and The Birthday Party are still a great band, but I just can't stomach to listen to his voice for one song at a time, every 4 months or so.

I was spinning Sleater Kinney earlier, and there's another case of good songs ruined by an awful voice. Maybe sometimes people should not sing in their own provincial accents, it's kind of too vaudeville.

sarramkrop 09.13.2008 09:57 AM

sorry, I can't help it!

This Is Not Here 09.13.2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Maybe sometimes people should not sing in their own provincial accents.

Better than singing in a provincial accent you don't have, which many of today's buzz-bands seem to be doing.

sarramkrop 09.13.2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Never been into it, considering that I like (most of) his music. It seems a little too baritone for my liking. Worst still is that I find his rock persona him, I dunno, a little stupid. It's most certainly just my own impression, and The Birthday Party are still a great band, but I just can't stomach to listen to his voice for one song at a time, every 4 months or so.

I was spinning Sleater Kinney earlier, and there's another case of good songs ruined by an awful voice. Maybe sometimes people should not sing in their own provincial accents, it's kind of too vaudeville.

Yeah, you mean Nick Cave's voice, don't you?

This Is Not Here 09.13.2008 10:04 AM

Well, as a Bob Dylan fan I'm pretty good at putting up with bad/annoying voices. And it obviously doesn't phase me that much, as my friends recently described Sonic Youth as "excruciatingly American" (particularly Thurston's voice, and particularly on 100%) and I honestly hadn't cared that much before.

This Is Not Here 09.13.2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Yeah, you mean Nick Cave's voice, don't you?

Easily assumed...

demonrail666 09.13.2008 10:12 AM

I have the same problem with Ian Curtis. Like Nick Cave's, his voice sounds to affected. If anything, in the case of Curtis, it's almost too emotional. I've always thought Nico would've been a far better JD front-person, for that very reason.

sarramkrop 09.13.2008 10:13 AM

I need too lear how to edit my thoughts better for sure.

RdTv 09.13.2008 10:15 AM

Tim Buckley.

sarramkrop 09.13.2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RdTv
Tim Buckley.

And his son, even though Jeff Buckley writes shit songs too.

RdTv 09.13.2008 10:23 AM

yeah, I never got into Jeff Buckley, but for as much as Tim Buckley is championed, I simply can't get past his voice.

Torn Curtain 09.13.2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Never been into it, considering that I like (most of) his music. It seems a little too baritone for my liking. Worst still is that I find his rock persona, I dunno, a little stupid. It's most certainly just my own impression, and The Birthday Party are still a great band, but I just can't stomach to listen to his voice for one song at a time, every 4 months or so.

A sentence is missing isn't it ? :confused:

batreleaser 09.13.2008 08:53 PM

i love cave's growl. and i love yow's growl, which is basically an america cave.

Toilet & Bowels 09.13.2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I've always thought Nico would've been a far better JD front-person, for that very reason.

that would be interesting to hear