Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   new south park episode dissing family guy (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=596)

CHOUT 04.05.2006 10:35 PM

2 parter...

trance feeeedback 04.06.2006 02:48 PM

Awsome, an episode making fun of family guy, muslims, and all the non-muslims who got upset over those cartoons.

I wander if they will be brave enough to show mohammed in the second part?

Trasher02 04.06.2006 02:50 PM

Aaargh can't watch it 'cause they don't show South Park in FUCKING BELGIUM!!!aaaaargh

so pissed right now...
screw you guys i'm going home

finding nobody 04.06.2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02
Aaargh can't watch it 'cause they don't show South Park in FUCKING BELGIUM!!!aaaaargh

so pissed right now...
screw you guys i'm going home

you didnt miss much, the episode wasnt much to see

Kylerobert 04.06.2006 06:32 PM

Note to Southpark- when making fun of a hilarious show, make sure your diss episode is funny.

qprogeny79 04.13.2006 01:10 PM

part ii -- much better than part i, despite them being wusses by not showing muhammad.

but seriously . . . family guy written by manatees? "remember that time i got a salmon helmet from muhammad while wearing a toga?"

nature scene 04.13.2006 01:18 PM

Note to Kylerobert -- when calling a show hilarious, make sure it isn't Family Guy

ricechex 04.13.2006 04:11 PM

i just read on yahoo news that Trey Parker and Matt Stone did NOT intend for the mohammed pic to be sensored. Comedy Central did that on their own, not as part of the show. Well anyways, either way it worked b/c it still made me laugh when CC censored it. It was like getting a little blindsided. that epsisode was great.

Feelyat 04.13.2006 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Remember that South Park episode "Simpsons Did It", saying how The Simpsons has been on so long it makes everything that's come before a rip-off? Yeah, well, South Park has turned into that too, its been on so long is it really that revelent [sic] any more?

Yeah, the show's pretty relevant, I'd say. Very relevant, even. I mean, it just won the Peabody Award, which is pretty crazy if you think about it: a dick-and-fart construction-paper cartoon won an award typically given out for excellence in the field of broadcast journalism. This American Life has won the Peabody. And now so has Cartman.

atari 2600 04.13.2006 05:10 PM

it was pretty funny at times (both parts)

i was laughing my ass off everythime Cartman insisted "not to compare his sense of humor to Family Guy" & the fight between him & Stan was hilarious with the short-arm handicaps & all. I thought they could have done up "kid" (Bart Simpson) a lot better, however.

on an aside, in case anyone doesn't know where the Peabody School of Journalism is, it's at my alma mater, The University of Georgia.

afreespirit 04.13.2006 06:23 PM

There was something missing in Wednesday night's South Park--as a title card explained: "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Mohammed on their network."

It was not a joke.

The scene depicting the Islamic prophet handing a football helmet to a character from Family Guy (at least that's how another of the show's title cards put it) really was nixed by Comedy Central.

A source close to the show said safety concerns were behind the move. Earlier this year, the Danish publication of newspaper cartoons about Mohammed sparked deadly rioting throughout the world. Any rendering of the prophet is considered insulting by Muslims.

"In light of recent events, we feel we made the right decision," Comedy Central said in a statement Thursday.

There was no public response from series creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

Wednesday's South Park, "Cartoon Wars, Part 2," was the concluding half of a story arc in which Family Guy, yes, the Fox animated series, causes international consternation when, in a familiar-sounding turn of events, it depicts Mohammed. (The story line is better understood if one accepts that, as The South Park Scriptorium explained, "Family Guy=South Park.")

In the South Park version of things, Family Guy makes it to air with the controversial scene, prompting an animated response (literally) from al Qaeda involving Jesus, President Bush, the U.S. flag and bowel movements.

In an interview with the Associated Press, William Donohue of the conservative Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights attacked Parker and Stone, but not Comedy Central, for the Jesus bit making air. Of the show's creators, Donohue said, "[They're] like little whores...They'll sit there and they'll whine and they'll take their shot at Jesus."

South Park has been winning friends of late with its religious-themed episodes. Last year, Comedy Central ran, but later declined to rerun the episode "Bloody Mary" after Donohue's group took umbrage with a menstruating Virgin Mary statue. Last month, Isaac Hayes turned in his Chef's hat, saying the show's satire had gone too far. His departure was seen as a belated response to "Trapped in the Closet," a 2005 episode that focused on Scientology, Hayes' religion. Comedy Central pulled a rerun of that episode, too.

An avowed equal opportunity offender, South Park previously depicted Mohammed to little public outcry. In that case, timing might have been everything. The episode, "Super Best Friends," debuted in July 2001, or two months before the arrival of the post-9-11 world.