Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Need Help Identifying song (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3827)

dazedcola 07.06.2006 08:05 PM

Need Help Identifying song

I was watching this early doc on the beatles first drummer pete best last night and they played this nice song and i want to hear it again.

The lyrics went something like:
crack in the mirror
a hole in the wall
people and places i can recall
I had a past that was blessed by them all

picture it now, picture it then
a means to an end, where to begin
I can color it out you can color it it in

look in the page of an old magazine
torn apart yesterday lost in a dream
all the things i want
everything i want is here

Its driving me crazy not knowing who it is, i tried googling it with no luck. Ill rep whoever figures out the song.

It sounds like early beatles and since the doc is about pete best i think the song came between 1960-64.

terminal pharmacy 07.06.2006 08:28 PM

what was the doc called. search imdb for the doc name then that will more than likely link to a soundtrack or have a track listing of the songs that were in the doc

dazedcola 07.06.2006 08:29 PM

the doc was called best of the beatles and it was on pbs

finding nobody 07.07.2006 02:50 AM

will it rerun any time? i wanna see this

Drjohnrock 08.29.2015 12:01 PM

Last night I had the Music Choice Indie channel on (I know, lame). I was half asleep and didn't quite get the name of the song, or the band for that matter. It was an all female band formed in LA with a seven or eight letter one word name that I think had something to do with gun terminology. The song name contained four or five words and started with Love, though I believe the lyrics were rather doubtful/cynical about love. The music was atmospheric but with a bit of a bite. Does anyone know the name of the song and band?

On edit: I believe the song came out fairly recently.

!@#$%! 08.29.2015 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
Last night I had the Music Choice Indie channel on (I know, lame). I was half asleep and didn't quite get the name of the song, or the band for that matter. It was an all female band formed in LA with a seven or eight letter one word name that I think had something to do with gun terminology. The song name contained four or five words and started with Love, though I believe the lyrics were rather doubtful/cynical about love. The music was atmospheric but with a bit of a bite. Does anyone know the name of the song and band?

this meets 4-5ish of your conditions (girls, bullet-type name, LA origin, 4-word song title) love in the title (not first wird though), not sure about lyrics, or if this counts as atmospheric with bite:

https://youtu.be/Jv9LWMXEVIU

Drjohnrock 08.29.2015 02:04 PM

Thanks for the response but that's not it.

!@#$%! 08.29.2015 02:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the response but that's not it.

dammit! and here i was counting on $200/day plus expenses

Drjohnrock 08.29.2015 03:27 PM

Not to mention free use of the condo in Hawaii.

Severian 08.29.2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

On edit: I believe the song came out fairly recently.

Warpaint.

This absolutely has to be Warpaint.

!@#$%! 08.29.2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Warpaint.

This absolutely has to be Warpaint.

ah yes

but how is the name gun-related? war? haha.

Severian 08.29.2015 04:54 PM

More specifically, perhaps:

Warpaint - “Love is to Die”
Video (official)

If this is the band you're looking for, it would be best for you to check out their debut album The Fool before checking out the self-titled major label debut that this song is featured on. Everyone at the time seemed to think it was a disappointing wad of shit album, but it wasn't bad... It's just that they were so promising earlier on, and south a badass live presence, that there were some seriously heavy expectations for their big "breakthrough" album.

I feel like this answer (Warpaint) is too simple almost, since they're quite well known. But that would explain them being on a national "indie" station.

Severian 08.29.2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ah yes

It's in the same fucking weaponry/arsenal/military terminology schema, okay Mr. Linguist? Shit.. I don't know. I could be wrong.

!@#$%! 08.29.2015 04:59 PM

Quote:

It's in the same fucking weaponry/arsenal/military terminology schema, okay Mr. Linguist? Shit.. I don't know. I could be wrong.

my wife listens to that a bit--it fits the atmospheric thing and the number of letters... and a song starts with "love".

Drjohnrock 08.29.2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

More specifically, perhaps:

Warpaint - “Love is to Die”
Video (official)

If this is the band you're looking for, it would be best for you to check out their debut album The Fool before checking out the self-titled major label debut that this song is featured on. Everyone at the time seemed to think it was a disappointing wad of shit album, but it wasn't bad... It's just that they were so promising earlier on, and south a badass live presence, that there were some seriously heavy expectations for their big "breakthrough" album.

I feel like this answer (Warpaint) is too simple almost, since they're quite well known. But that would explain them being on a national "indie" station.

Yes, that's it. As for quite well known, either (1) I'm just an out of touch middle aged dude, or (2) I still tend to seek out stuff that just has raucous guitar and the lead singer yelling, or (3) some combination of (1) and (2). Thanks, I will check out their debut.

Drjohnrock 08.29.2015 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

Like I said, I was half asleep.

Severian 08.29.2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Yes, that's it. As for quite well known, either (1) I'm just an out of touch middle aged dude, or (2) I still tend to seek out stuff that just has raucous guitar and the lead singer yelling, or (3) some combination of (1) and (2). Thanks, I will check out their debut.

Oh, I didn't mean that in a disparaging way. I wasn't saying it in a "you should know.." Kind of way. I just thought it was almost too easy, because I thi get "Motherfucker's talkin' bout Warpaint!" Like halfway through your description. You described it pretty much exactly as I would have.

I only said that to cushion the blow to my own ego if I was wrong. You know? I wasn't trying to be a dick. Lots of people wouldn't know Warpaint after one sleepy listen. I wouldn't know fucking Sufjan Stevens based on one listen and he's, like, the super insane hyper Christian Kanye West of indie pop!

Hope I'm making sense. I'm an old fart who listens to and seeks out feedbacky shit too. Sorry if I sounded like an elitist 21 year old taint.

!@#$%! 08.29.2015 06:55 PM

Quote:

Like I said, I was half asleep.

and i thought i was so close!

dum-dum is another name for hollowpoint & softpoint bullets

Drjohnrock 08.29.2015 07:01 PM

Apology not necessary, Severian. I didn't take it badly. I was justly criticizing myself for being too much in my own comfort zone at times. That doesn't mean I have to like everything that Music Choice or anyone else calls "indie". But for awhile I've been trying to seek out music beyond new releases by old favorites, or bands that conform to my usual interests. All in all, the MC "Indie" channel had more misses than hits (maybe that's why I was nodding off!). But Warpaint sounded like they might merit further investigation, and I'll certainly check their earlier stuff out.

I really love your Sufjan Stevens description: "the super insane hyper Christian Kanye West of indie pop". That alone deserves some reputation!

Severian 08.29.2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Apology not necessary, Severian. I didn't take it badly. I was justly criticizing myself for being too much in my own comfort zone at times. That doesn't mean I have to like everything that Music Choice or anyone else calls "indie". But for awhile I've been trying to seek out music beyond new releases by old favorites, or bands that conform to my usual interests. All in all, the MC "Indie" channel had more misses than hits (maybe that's why I was nodding off!). But Warpaint sounded like they might merit further investigation, and I'll certainly check their earlier stuff out.

I really love your Sufjan Stevens description: "the super insane hyper Christian Kanye West of indie pop". That alone deserves some reputation!

I appreciate your search for new music from outside the old comfort zones. I've been on a similar crusade since around 2011. I made a resolution not only to familiarize myself with new bands towing the lines of post-punk, noise and experimental music (my old scene haunts), but to also forge into music that was totally unrelated to the SY-Velvets vein. It brought me to a rediscovery of hip hop, and nurtured a growing lust for electronic music of all varieties.

Part of the Sufjan line- to me- is that I probably *should* be into him, since I'm a devout Kanye follower. But his early albums make me want to hear Jim O'Rourke, and the rest of his music - save maybe Age of Adz, actually scares me in a seventh day Adventist creeping outside your house kind of way. I love creepy music, but Sufjan is the wrong kind of creepy... Like that crazed preacher on Carnivale. *shutters*

Btw: in my humble opinion the best noisey-punk derived bands of the past few years have been:

2013: Black Bug!!!
2014: Dub Thompson!
2015: Viet Cong!

But mostly Black Bug. Utterly unheralded by mainstream media of any kind. 2013's Reflecting the Light is my favorite punk/noise/deranged industrial album of the 2010's.