Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Half a top 10 for half of 2010 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40404)

noisereductions 07.07.2010 01:23 PM

Half a top 10 for half of 2010

strangely I noticed that there's only been 5 albums so far that I've really listened to the hell out of so far this year...

Gucci Mane - Free Gucci: The Best Of The Cold War Mixtapes
Free mixtape assembled by Diplo... this thing is amazing. Meshes lots of electro beats with a bunch of 2009 Gucci acappellas... many of which turn out to be superior to their originals. And the sequencing is top notch. Diplo's own remix of "Danger's Not A Stranger" is perhaps my favorite Gucci Mane track ever.

The Last Electro Acoustic Space Jazz & Percussion Ensemble - Miles Away
Madlib released this one, then the Young Jazz Rebels album, and is already promising at least 2 more jazz albums this year as part of the Medicine Show series. It's a good year to be a Yesterdays Universe fan. So far, this is my favorite jazz album of the year.

Lil Wayne - Rebirth
There's so much to say about this one... but I've already said a lot in other threads, and it will end up on my final Top 10 list of the year, so I'll recap then. But I doubt I've listened to ANY album as much as this one this year.

Meth, Ghost & Rae - Wu Massacre
I slept on this at first, but couldn't stop listening. All my initial complaints are still there, but somehow everything WRONG with this record is a big part of what makes it so right. I love it.

Record Club - Kick
Record Club is the name of the band right? None of them have band-names on the cover. Is it Record Club? Is it Beck? Pfork always says it's Record Club. Anyway, this album is amazing. The best cover album that Record Club has released yet. Definitely.

Young Jeezy - Trap Or Die 2: By Any Means Necessary
I'm not a huge Jeezy fan, but this mixtape is undeniable. The beats are perfect. It's so triumphant. I highly recommend it. Oh and funniest moment: Don Cannon yells out over a track "I'm everywhere like dogshit" which is appropriate becuz DJ drops feel just about as welcome as stepping in it.

viewtiful alan redux 07.07.2010 01:28 PM

The only one I've listened to is Rebirth, which I really really enjoyed as well. But that Miles Away one sounds really, really interesting. I'ma check it out.

noisereductions 07.07.2010 01:50 PM

oops I forgot about Wu Massacre

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.07.2010 05:03 PM

I'm just waiting for Esham to drop Suspended Animation.

Derek 07.07.2010 05:30 PM

I like Esham.

I should be Eshamed BAHAHAHAHAH

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.07.2010 07:10 PM

^ Esha-ha-ha-ha-ham

My favorite emcee - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9wQ1BCDG4Y

noisereductions 07.07.2010 07:16 PM

you don't like Kid Rock-- do you, bro?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.07.2010 07:21 PM

No, I'm not much of a Kid fan.

Unless we're talkin' about "Balls in your Mouth" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlgS6Dbbul4

atsonicpark 07.07.2010 10:28 PM

1. ikonika - contact love want have
2. autechre - move of ten
3. daniel higgs - say god
4. ariel pink - before today
5. master musicians of bukkae - totem two
6. ceepax acid crew - united acid emirates
7. univers zero - clivages
8. sigh - scenes from hell
9. oren amrbarchi/jim o'rourke/keiji haino - tima formosa
10. shugo tokumaru - port entropy

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.07.2010 11:25 PM

Xasthur - Portal of Sorrow
Pocahaunted - Make It Real
Aerial Pink - Before Today
KoRn - KoRn III: Remember Who You Are
Blaze Ya Dead Homie - Gang Rags
David Cross - Bigger and Blackerer

Very pumped for Suspended Animation, To Hell With God, and Gold Cobra!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDU2ipXAWY

atsonicpark 07.08.2010 12:07 AM

It is ridiculous how much better Pocahaunted are now that the one girl left and they actually decided to write songs. Naturally, it's their most hated album in their discography because there's actual structure!

Decayed Rhapsody 07.08.2010 12:16 AM

^ I agree. That chick went and formed BEST COAST hahaha.

atsonicpark 07.08.2010 12:25 AM

Yes!

Satan 07.08.2010 12:54 AM

i know youre the rap dude around here and all but rebirth is a piece of piss, weezy used to be a beast and then he quit drinking lean and his voice got all weird and high pitched and decided to try and play a guitar and all his songs are about the same thing using different metaphors

wu can do no wrong though.

DeadDiscoDildo 07.08.2010 01:27 AM

I like best coast but I hate wavves. They are boring as fuck.

My buddy had the nerve to text this to me the other night.

You're mad at wavves cuz it aint you. Stop competing...you'll feel better.

haha. I'm sure that's it.

My music is on a whole different level than wavves in my opinion, atsonic, have an opinion on this matter? am I being over sensitive?

Anyways, I've been listening to shit only from 1967, 68, and 1990 lately. Oh, and wipers. But mainly beefheart and breeders...so im leaving this thread now ha!

Actually, alot of 36 chambers too...i need to get more wu albums. how's brooklynn zoo?

automatic bzooty 07.08.2010 01:30 AM

wavvvvvvvvvvesssss suuuuuuuuuuuuxxxxx

i like best coast a lot though

SpaceCadetHayden 07.08.2010 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
1. ikonika - contact love want have

Yeahhhhh. That bitch can throw down. "i can't really even play keys. I just hit them until it sounds good" I love her.

Satan 07.08.2010 03:39 AM

i like wavves, i havent heard this suckage adam is talking about but the first two albums are great, im a little california girl though so suck it.

TheFoxBen 07.08.2010 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Ugh...

She's also dating Wavves, who just released one the worst albums I've ever heard in my life.

Ahah, "King of the Beach" is my favorite record of the year so far :D

noisereductions 07.08.2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
i know youre the rap dude around here and all but rebirth is a piece of piss, weezy used to be a beast and then he quit drinking lean and his voice got all weird and high pitched and decided to try and play a guitar and all his songs are about the same thing using different metaphors

I talked a lot about it in another thread, but short version: becuz it's so bad I can't help but keep listening like "WHY did he just do THAT?" etc. And ultimately, that means that I continue to get hours and hours of entertainment out of the album. And to be honest, I enjoy all but 2 of the songs quite a bit. But like I said, it's not about good or bad to me -- it's about entertainment, which is ultimately what you want from an entertainer.

Quote:

wu can do no wrong though.

you've obviously never heard a U-God album, dear Satan.