Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   are you afraid of the dark (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35947)

Derek 11.25.2009 11:30 AM

are you afraid of the dark

Who watched this show when they were younger and thought it was just brilliant? I did and I still think it's great. I've been trying to watch every season for the past few weeks now and thoroughly enjoying it. Anyone else love it when they were younger? Any favourite episodes?

I especially love The Tale of the Super Specs, The Tale of the Ghastly Grinner and The Tale of the Chameleons!

Derek 11.25.2009 12:31 PM

Some of my other favourite Nickelodeon shows as a kid..

Damn, there's way more but don't come to mind right now.

static-harmony 11.25.2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Some of my other favourite Nickelodeon shows as a kid..

Damn, there's way more but don't come to mind right now.

When nickelodeon used to be good.

Jeremy 11.25.2009 12:48 PM

Best Nick show ever.

I also loved early Rugrats a lot, Double Dare, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Rocko's Modern Life, Clarrisa Explains It All..... Man that channel used to kick ass, especially if you were just a kid.

~Jeremy~

Derek 11.25.2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

When nickelodeon used to be good.
Yeah, just like everything else it was dumbed down to the nth degree.

Trasher02 11.25.2009 12:53 PM

Oh man I constantly watched Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's modern time when I was a kid. I still love those shows!

pbradley 11.25.2009 01:39 PM

I may have masturbated to Clarissa, yes.

deflinus 11.25.2009 01:50 PM

back when shows actually thought kids were smart. not stupid

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.25.2009 02:03 PM

I wish they hadn't torn down Nickelodeon Studios. It seems that for some reason, the modern 'Nick' is trying to separate itself from the classic 'Nickelodeon' as much as possible.

pbradley 11.25.2009 02:23 PM

Nickelodeon, today, wants to be Disney. Sexy tween pop sensations with shows about how tough it is to be an upper middle class, high school trend-setter.

atsonicpark 11.25.2009 02:26 PM

I have all of Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Rocko, Ren and Stimpy, Doug, Hey Dude, and Salute Your Shorts on dvd.

Derek 11.25.2009 02:30 PM

Count Mecha 11.25.2009 02:38 PM

Haha, yeah AYAOTD is pretty slick. The great thing about it is that it's actually a pretty bad show. The production is so cheap looking (those kids wear the most hilarious clothes) and everyone is a really lousy actor, cept for those guys who played Vink and Sardo. But there was a charisma to those scripts that despite being pretty juvenille and not greatly written they were strange enough to still be enjoyable. It still blows my fucking mind how they ever got Charles S. Dutton for that Cutter episode.

Clarissa used to be a big favorite of mine. After about a decade absence I watched it again and on the reverse of Are You Afraid, it's actually alot better than I remembered. That show is sort of the pre-Family Guy, being littered with pop culture references. except Clarissa executes that stuff much better.

Rocko and Pete and Pete are my top two though. Another handful of a good ones no one mentioned are Kablam!, Angry Beavers, and Hey Arnold!

Rob Instigator 11.25.2009 02:54 PM

when I was a kid Nickelodeon had this claptrap

Today's Special

double dare

You canot do that on television

pinwheel

DeadDiscoDildo 11.25.2009 02:57 PM

You can't do that on television, Pete and Pete, Clarrisa, and Are you afraid of the Dark were my favorite.

Oddly enough, for the past week I've been watching all of the are you afraid of the dark episodes on youtube. I'm halfway thru season 4 or 5 right now...Frank just moved! shit! no more gay latino bully! Now they have some pimpley punk kid

Keeping It Simple 11.25.2009 02:59 PM

The best tv kids show of all time was "Tiswas".

atsonicpark 11.25.2009 03:05 PM

5'10", 150 lbs, 36b-28-36

Derek 11.25.2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
You can't do that on television, Pete and Pete, Clarrisa, and Are you afraid of the Dark were my favorite.

Oddly enough, for the past week I've been watching all of the are you afraid of the dark episodes on youtube. I'm halfway thru season 4 or 5 right now...Frank just moved! shit! no more gay latino bully! Now they have some pimpley punk kid

I'm only on season 3 so far!

Jeremy 11.25.2009 04:49 PM

I completely forgot about Doug. Loved that show. A perfect 90s cartoon.

~Jeremy~

HaydenAsche 11.25.2009 05:13 PM

Nickelodeon used to be fantastic. Now, Cartoon Network has it on lock down. Chowder and the Misadventures of Flapjack are fucked up and wonderful.