Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   just finished the mixing of my band's demo (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=34918)

TheMadcapLaughs 09.26.2009 11:02 PM

just finished the mixing of my band's demo

hello all, I know this could have gone in the other thread where people share their music but I was really excited and wanted to know what you guys think. i guess we still have to master it (who knew so much shit went into putting out music?) anyways we wanna make an EP, and I just wanted to see what you guys thought. we are 3 piece band called Mama Lion and hopefully if we put out an EP it will be called Gamble, Gamble, Die. ANY feedback would be great.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tsvpq6 F and M Retreat

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v8lhvb My Back Hurts Caveman

http://www.sendspace.com/file/d13msl Mining for Silver Lining

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6lxucr Nothing

terminal pharmacy 09.26.2009 11:17 PM

if it is demos i wouldn't bother mastering if you plan on rerecording it. ill have a listen and give my feedback on the mix when i get my internet back to full speed.

TheMadcapLaughs 09.26.2009 11:19 PM

i dont think we will re-record it, its too fuckin' expensive, so its sorta demo/EP, thanks for listening in advance though!

terminal pharmacy 09.26.2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
i dont think we will re-record it, its too fuckin' expensive, so its sorta demo/EP, thanks for listening in advance though!

did you record in a studio, or home studio?

TheMadcapLaughs 09.27.2009 02:28 AM

we played a show and the sound engineer came up to us afterward and said that he really liked "our sound" and asked us if we were ever interested in recording he would help us out, so it was at his studio which was fairly professional I guess, but he hooked us up with a good price.

terminal pharmacy 09.28.2009 07:57 PM

F & M Retreat

I really like this just a few small things for my ears. The acoustic guitar sounds too thin, this was probably more a mic choice and placement choice. I wouldn't think would be too much you can do mix wise to get that sounding fuller.

Snare sounds a bit dull to me, but that is a personal preference, I like a bit more crack in the snare.

Ill get on to the next track soon.

TheMadcapLaughs 09.28.2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
F & M Retreat

I really like this just a few small things for my ears. The acoustic guitar sounds too thin, this was probably more a mic choice and placement choice. I wouldn't think would be too much you can do mix wise to get that sounding fuller.

Snare sounds a bit dull to me, but that is a personal preference, I like a bit more crack in the snare.

Ill get on to the next track soon.

hey thanks for getting back, and im glad you like it. i thought it was just going to die a slow pathetic death to the bottom of the page and then lost forever, hahaha.

yeah as far the acoustic, we also had running through an amp that was kind of distorted but that ended up sounding muddy, chessy, and shitty, so we had sort of just like a mic nearby that was also picking it up.

and the snare, that was the drummer (gabe) deal, he seemed pleased, but i could see what you mean, could have given it a little bit more.

thanks for listening dude, i really do appreciate it

terminal pharmacy 10.01.2009 07:33 PM

My back hurts caveman

similar thing to the previous track, drums sound a bit to distant, as to me does the vocal. the arpeggiated guitar gets a bit monotonous but i like the track as a whole. the vocal could potentially be doubled on this track and just moved a few milliseconds out of sync. the little runs of the guitar in the end section don't feel like they belong structually.

TheMadcapLaughs 10.02.2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
My back hurts caveman

similar thing to the previous track, drums sound a bit to distant, as to me does the vocal. the arpeggiated guitar gets a bit monotonous but i like the track as a whole. the vocal could potentially be doubled on this track and just moved a few milliseconds out of sync. the little runs of the guitar in the end section don't feel like they belong structually.

for the most part i agree with what your saying, we already re-mixed again and made the vocals more prominent and the drums a little more up front. the guitar line is a bit monotonous, but (repetition, repetition, repetition!) sort of has its own power to it. that idea to double track the vocal but a few milliseconds out of sync is very interesting. i wish i would have posted this earlier when we could have done that. ooooh well. thanks again for you input, i hope you are actually enjoying the songs

terminal pharmacy 10.12.2009 12:25 AM

mining for silver lining

drums sound thin, kick drum sound is kinda flappy not tight and fat. the vocals sound a bit distant from the mics.

kinda simialr to the other tracks in those regards. the songs are good though.

TheMadcapLaughs 10.12.2009 09:19 PM

terminal, thank you again for your feedback(your the only one that has responded!). this song in particular i dont think we got it quite the way we wanted it. its way better live. its so hard to recreate a live energy in the studio, and i sorta wish we had a bassist for it. but its gets the jist of the song. we should have you record/mix the next one! as i am tending to agree with all your critques. hahaha. i think Nothing(the last song)was recorded well, although you'll probably say the same thing about the drums!

Sonic Youth Gossip 10.12.2009 09:38 PM

for the record terminal pharmacy is a professional sound dude, so although extremely helpful for these kinda things, just remember that not everyone will be listening to each detail as carefully or as critically.

terminal pharmacy: would you mind if i send some of my stuff your way for some tips some time? that'd be much appreciated

atsonicpark 10.12.2009 09:42 PM

I wouldn't send TP my stuff, because my stuff sounds like ass on purpose.

atsonicpark 10.12.2009 09:44 PM

Even though I hate .m4as I'm listening to NOTHING...

Whoa, this is cool as fuck already.

Whoa.

This is great!

Sonic Youth Gossip 10.12.2009 09:49 PM

ahh fuck m4a's
it'd be nice to see everybody use something more universal like mp3...
stupid itunes

atsonicpark 10.12.2009 09:51 PM

If I get m4a albums d/l'ed, I use m4a to mp3 to turn them into mp3 immediately.

terminal pharmacy 10.12.2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I wouldn't send TP my stuff, because my stuff sounds like ass on purpose.

but i like your ass atsonic

TheMadcapLaughs 10.12.2009 10:02 PM

THANKS atsonicpark!
i didnt realize they were even in that format, itunes i reckon i'll repost them all with mp3, sorry.

atsonicpark 10.12.2009 10:06 PM

here tp, critique this song then http://freedownloads.last.fm/downloa...Bimplosion.mp3

haha ;) ... I'd mainly listen to the bass if I were you...

MadCap, it's no prob, I'm sure some people would rather have them in flac or something even but m4as just annoy me, dunno why.

terminal pharmacy 10.12.2009 10:07 PM

my advice when doing mix downs is to listen to something with a similar vibe that you really like and that you think is mixed well and use it as a reference for your own mixes, and then mix with you ears and not your eyes on your computer screen if you have the ability to do that. in my home studio i just turn the screen off cos i have all the transport controls setup via midi on my kaos pad and the channels and pans etc on my korg kontrol. don't play with eq and compressor plugins until after you have mixed (this is a personal preference for me) i like to get the mix right first then do the dynamic tweaks. i work the opposite in the studio to what i work live. most of all get a good sound coming in before you push record if you do this the less plugins you will have to use to tweak the sounds.