Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   best beer you can get at a random supermarket? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22139)

davenotdead 05.29.2008 01:18 AM

best beer you can get at a random supermarket?

im lazy... and i do have a gift card for publix, which is a fairly large supermarket chain in the southeastern united states... and i want some beer. so give it to me bitches. most 6-pack imports run about $8...

uhler 05.29.2008 01:19 AM

buy a bunch of king cobra 40's.

_slavo_ 05.29.2008 01:51 AM

Pilsner Urquell

Cantankerous 05.29.2008 01:55 AM

the best beer to NOT buy:

i couldnt find a picture of a modern can of this shit but basically it tastes like a rotten wine cooler

oh and i think you can only buy it at aldi

Dead-Air 05.29.2008 02:05 AM

I'd probably go Dos Equis in that situation.

davenotdead 05.29.2008 02:22 AM

yeah newcastle satisfies me... but i almost went with dos equis last time

pbradley 05.29.2008 02:30 AM

I have no idea what the beer selection is in the south east.

davenotdead 05.29.2008 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I have no idea what the beer selection is in the south east.

then im afraid we are at an impasse

Cantankerous 05.29.2008 02:49 AM

guinness is a safe bet available at all supermarkets, heineken etc. basic imported shit. domestic beer IS shit.if you have to just get regular budweiser, don't punk out and get bud light.

DO NOT: natty, PBR, colt 45, thunderbird wine, bud light, the aforementioned north star should you stumble upon it magically

_slavo_ 05.29.2008 02:53 AM

DO NOT EVER AT ANY CIRCUMSTANCES: Milwaukee's Best.

pbradley 05.29.2008 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead
then im afraid we are at an impasse

*waits for non sequitor*

Cantankerous 05.29.2008 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
*waits for non sequitor*

if i am in tokyo then i am in japan
i am not in tokyo
therefore i am not in japan

jon boy 05.29.2008 05:28 AM

i liked busch beer in america, only for the name.

lynxxx lager in the uk is the supermarket bargain basement beer. in leeds its double dutch.

nicfit 05.29.2008 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Pilsner Urquell

*applause*

I add Warsteiner and Moretti rossa.

Cantankerous 05.29.2008 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
i liked busch beer in america, only for the name.

lynxxx lager in the uk is the supermarket bargain basement beer. in leeds its double dutch.

where i'm from is where they make that vile piss (bush, budweiser, bud light etc etc) and everyone is all about it. you can tour the factory and shit like that (i have never).

they make excellent snack foods though which i can't find anywhere

Rob Instigator 05.29.2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
DO NOT EVER AT ANY CIRCUMSTANCES: Milwaukee's Best.

ahhh, "The Milky Beast"

atsonicpark 05.29.2008 10:14 AM

Get Sparks!

!@#$%! 05.29.2008 10:19 AM

maybe there are better ones but i just love this one:

easy to find yet delicious. my perfect everyday beer.

MellySingsDoom 05.29.2008 10:54 AM

Me and demonrail used to go around buying out of date cans of Stella Artois for cheap pennies. Since I haven't died/gone blind/gone teetotal yet, I reckon it was worth it.

tw2113 05.29.2008 12:44 PM

I like Samuel Adams beer

!@#$%! 05.29.2008 12:46 PM

another one i used to moderately enjoy and it's dirt cheap is YUENGLING

it's union-made too! from the bitter state of pennsylvania.

davenotdead 05.29.2008 12:57 PM

yeah i drink pilsner urquell and guiness a lot.... i have had some good sam adams before... and by "best beer", yeah i don't necessarily mean the cheapest... i just mean the best tasting stuff that is widely available...

Trasher02 05.29.2008 01:06 PM

Cheapest beer ever, costs only 0,40€! Sure, not the best beer ever but still do-able though.

!@#$%! 05.29.2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

yeah i drink pilsner urquell and guiness a lot.... i have had some good sam adams before... and by "best beer", yeah i don't necessarily mean the cheapest... i just mean the best tasting stuff that is widely available...

oh hm... then warsteiner, pilsner urquell, negra modelo, bass ale, sierra, anchor steam, guinness, etc.

not sure what publix carries,t hey don't have them in the southwest.

anyway, happy drinking.

davenotdead 05.29.2008 01:16 PM

anchor steam is really good, but is not always available... i was wondering about negra modelo... i'll give it a try

gmku 05.29.2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

im lazy... and i do have a gift card for publix, which is a fairly large supermarket chain in the southeastern united states... and i want some beer. so give it to me bitches. most 6-pack imports run about $8...

Ha ha, silly, it all depends on where you live. Different areas have different distribution deals, better or worse, and some states allow more and better beer to be sold at retail (that is, some states still restrict shipping into state beers above a certain ABV--and many of those are the better beers).

My general advice: Stay away from imports. Most are lagers and aren't as flavorful as ales, and as well have been shipped long distances over time and are not going to be as fresh as a good local or regional microbrew.

Go for a good local or regional microbrew. Something ale. IPAs are a good bet.

gmku 05.29.2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
I like Samuel Adams beer

Boring. About as interesting as Bud.

gmku 05.29.2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
domestic beer IS shit.iy

This is such a gross misunderstanding. Yes, the big American beers--Bud, Coors, Sam Adams, et al--are indeed shit. But there are plenty of small domestic brews out there that beat the pants off imports.

!@#$%! 05.29.2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

anchor steam is really good, but is not always available... i was wondering about negra modelo... i'll give it a try

it's a decent dark beer-- i dont drink much dark beer in the summer though-- though you might, especially in the evening.

let's see...

review: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/75/667/

gmku-- a nice cold lager on a hot day is one of life's simple pleasures! come on... there is a place for those in life (and no, it's not the pisspot, ha ha ha)

gmku 05.29.2008 01:34 PM

Ha, yes, there is a place in life for a good lager. Just not in mine! I can't help it. I'm a beer snob. Meh, I dunno, I just have never liked lagers much.

Okay, gmku's break time is over! Back to work!

Rob Instigator 05.29.2008 02:16 PM

I like the guiness
I like drinking cans of tecate with lime on a hot day

I like Rolling Rock

I like Lone Star ($1.50 at most punk dives in Texas)

I like to taste all beers actually. they are all good in different ways. the only type of beer I have tasted and not enjoyed is unpasteurized ales, the ones made by monks, which trigger in me a terrible alcohol allerguic reaction.

gmku 05.29.2008 03:07 PM

OMG, Lone Star. Blecchh. Rolling Rock, ralf. I am having severely nauseating flashbacks.

Of course back in my AF days in Tejas, I used to drink the Lone Piss. I used to let my doberman drink it, too.

DNAINTHEDNA 05.29.2008 03:14 PM

ive seen this at random stores...and its one of my faves

gmku 05.29.2008 03:22 PM

why. All I can say is, why. Why for the love of God. *head in hands, tears in eyes, disbelief coursing through brain*

girlgun 05.29.2008 05:20 PM

i am drinking a 32 oz high life from a convenience store. pure class.

DNAINTHEDNA 05.29.2008 05:21 PM

the only way to do it

Pookie 05.29.2008 05:21 PM

Surely you can get Guinness anywhere?

DNAINTHEDNA 05.29.2008 05:25 PM

surely you can

girlgun 05.29.2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Surely you can get Guinness anywhere?

hahahaaaa no.

in oklahoma we have really weird liquor laws. you can buy 3.2 or faker beer at convenience stores and grocery stores. in order to get real beer (like guinness), you have to buy it at room temp at a liquor store m-saturday 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.. liquor stores sell real beer. but there are some brands that make both faker beer just for us okies (or utah i think?) and real beer. like you can get shiner, tecate, pbr and probably a couple of others with alcohol content of 3.2 at a convenience store or 6 point at liquor store. something like bud, coors, etc... is ONLY 3.2 in oklahoma... whereas if you cross the border, it's 6 pt.

DNAINTHEDNA 05.29.2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlgun
hahahaaaa no.

in oklahoma we have really weird liquor laws. you can buy 3.2 or faker beer at convenience stores and grocery stores. in order to get real beer (like guinness), you have to buy it at room temp at a liquor store m-saturday 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.. liquor stores sell real beer. but there are some brands that make both faker beer just for us okies (or utah i think?) and real beer. like you can get shiner, tecate, pbr and probably a couple of others with alcohol content of 3.2 at a convenience store or 6 point at liquor store. something like bud, coors, etc... is ONLY 3.2 in oklahoma... whereas if you cross the border, it's 6 pt.

that suckssssssssssszzzzzzzz