Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Grab your children! Look away! It's time for Let's Massacre A Band Vol. 2- Pavement (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=38210)

Genteel Death 02.20.2010 04:57 PM

Grab your children! Look away! It's time for Let's Massacre A Band Vol. 2- Pavement

Fact: early Pavement get compared to The Fall, without any real solid argument behind it, since their songs lack the lyrical brilliance of an inspired Mark E Smith, not to say that 4/5 of Slanted and Enchanted feels like several ideas that failed to turn into complete songs. If a Fall-related band needs being compared to them, maybe Pavement went on to sound a bit like Blue Orchids on later albums, without appearing convinced of what they were doing, due mainly to Malkmus' posing as this ''look at me, I am so quirky'', half-arsed, smug indie rocker.

Pookie 02.20.2010 05:02 PM

Can't add much to that.

I had the misfortune to see them live once. Also had the misfortune of seeing Malkmus live.

Awful.

Glice 02.20.2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by typical Pavement lyrics
I'm Ste-ven Milk-mouse.
Steve, n' Mill k m'ouse.
steheepheenn meeheelkmooossz.
lol, carhorn, Im so random lol

They're a band so irritating I'm struggling to think where to start. I think the Milk Mouse's fringe. I mean... how a fringe have an air of sanctimonious cunt about it? It can't. But his does. What a massive shithouse of a cunt he is.

Trasher02 02.20.2010 05:31 PM

Indie douche fail at 3:25.

Genteel Death 02.20.2010 05:38 PM

Stereo, particularly the talked bit, is the blueprint for anything that I find irritating about many indie bands.

Glice 02.20.2010 05:45 PM

Malaria DOESN'T EVEN FUCKING RHYME WITH STEREO. Let alone make any sense. HAHAHAHAHA random lol.

Genteel Death 02.20.2010 05:58 PM

I read an interview with Pavement, once, where one of them was making fun of Malkmus when he gets a cold or the flu, 'cause apparently he is a nightmare to deal with and a drama queen.

automatic bzooty 02.20.2010 06:05 PM

if malkmus was born in the nineties, he'd be one of those "lOl cheez & duckz so randum!!111! chArlIe tha UNicorN!!1" kids.

automatic bzooty 02.20.2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02
Indie douche fail at 3:25.

i didn't know jay leno was a hipster douchebag. coo' revelation bro!

SuperCreep 02.20.2010 06:22 PM

malkmus is a cock.

Toilet & Bowels 02.20.2010 06:56 PM

i like some of their stuff (slanted and enchsnted), i don't really understand how people could be particularly riled by them, although some of their later stuff is a bit crap.

Genteel Death 02.20.2010 07:27 PM

Do you like David Bowie?

Toilet & Bowels 02.20.2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Do you like David Bowie?

No. Do you?

Genteel Death 02.20.2010 07:47 PM

Yes. Not after scary monsters, though.

Pookie 02.20.2010 08:18 PM

Got to give them some credit though for kicking out annoying twat Gary Young.

atsonicpark 02.21.2010 03:52 AM

Slanted is great, though Conduit for Sale! might as well be called "New Face in Hell (the remake)". I tend to prefer the early stuff, when they were weirder and more cryptic, though Wowee is probably a good mix of their less straightforward stuff and their most technically accomplished material. I think Terror Twilight is one of the most boring albums ever made...

Jeremy 02.21.2010 04:16 AM

You twisted, sick, son of a....

~Jeremy~

TheFoxBen 02.21.2010 05:21 AM

I like them... I would even say it's one of my favorite bands... Slanted & Enchanted and Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain are both different but perfect and Wowee Zowee is their most ambitious album and it's filled with so many good ideas, you can't deny this. Brighten the Corners is pretty good too and Terror Twilight is just good.

Derek 02.21.2010 09:39 AM

Slanted and Enchanted is an indie rock masterpiece that should be given to children when they are born. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain has some great songs on them but I think the rest of their discography is tripe. Really not worth the praise they get even if they did rule in the early 90s.

atsonicpark 02.21.2010 09:42 AM

They're just one of those bands that I don't understand the lasting appeal of (also see: MBV). Sure, they might have done something noteworthy 20 years ago, but countless bands have improved on their formula, and half their discography is garbage. Malkmus solo is pretty much shit, too, with a song here or there as an exception.

The best thing to come out of this band was PLANTMAN.