Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   best shows/concerts this summer (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=5938)

drrrtyboots 09.10.2006 12:09 AM

best shows/concerts this summer

That you went to? and how so.

luxinterior 09.10.2006 01:01 AM

X were great. So much fun.

And I just got back from seeing Big Black (they did four songs) and Shellac at the Touch & Go thing. I couldn't (and didn't necessarily want to) go all day. So I got to the thing at about 7:00, I think, and Big Black started at 8:40.

I probably won't even go tomorrow. I'm so burnt out on it. Tonight was great though.

Cantankerous 09.10.2006 01:20 AM

luxinterior and i were at the same x show i think, the one where i was sick sort o f.

the touch and go party was great. i just got back from chicago (its a fucking 40 minute flight so don/t you dare give me any shit, i didnt want to stay until tomorrow because i dont want to see any of the bands tomorrow) after being at the navy piear all day and seeing scratch acid and man or astroman and big black and shellac.

the flaming lips was pretty fun too.

luxinterior 09.10.2006 01:47 AM

Exactly, I have no business going tomorrow. Just the thought of going makes me sort of crabby. I should find someone who wants my ticket though.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 09.10.2006 04:04 AM

Bonnarooooo!!!!

nature scene 09.10.2006 10:30 AM

SY was pretty terrible this time around, but I'm not giving up on them.
Deerhoof was the best band I saw this summer.

Savage Clone 09.10.2006 10:38 AM

End Times Festival

Ghost at Terrastock 6
Boris and SunnO))) at Walker Art Center
Michael Yonkers with the Blind Shake and Mute Era, both at Heliotrope 3

Inhuman 09.10.2006 10:40 AM

Sonic Youth were by far the best for me. Honorable mentions are If then Do, Paper Rad, Gold Sword, and Think about Life. Worst show I went to this summer would have to be Islands. I sat in the back and felt like I was going to fall asleep

Alex's Trip 09.10.2006 10:44 AM

Coachella was fantastic.

I would say my favorite was Animal Collective. My dad absolutely hated it. At first he told me "It was interesting", but I knew he hated it, and now he admits it. But I thought they were fantastic. It was amazing to see how the songs just melted right into each other.

Everyneurotic 09.10.2006 11:34 AM

yo la tengo doing the sounds of the sounds of science were mindblowing.
i went to the sounds of the underground festival where converge, horse the band, the black dahlia murder, behemoth and the chariot slayed.

the fall is looking better than the summer here, though. tonight i'm going to the japanese new music festival, in two weeks i'm seeing cat power, then slayer, then probably phobia, dark funeral and deicide.

Cantankerous 09.10.2006 01:13 PM

coachella was okay. i walked out wondering why i paid so much to get in.

youthoftomorrow 09.10.2006 02:21 PM

Sonic Youth was the only concert i went to this summer.

atari 2600 09.10.2006 02:29 PM

I second that emotion, nature scene, although I wouldn't characterize it as "terrible" exactly, but just not quite up to the standard of other past tours.

Deerhoof will be here Tuesday opening for The Flaming Lips.

Alex's Trip 09.10.2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
coachella was okay. i walked out wondering why i paid so much to get in.

Was it too much sun for you? :p

Cantankerous 09.10.2006 02:33 PM

ha, no. i don't know. it was just a lot of money for what it was, but it was pretty rewarding to see madonna get pegged with a water bottle.

atari 2600 09.10.2006 02:35 PM

oh, Courtney Love must have been in attendance haha...oh that's right, she's probably on probation & couldn't be there.

Alex's Trip 09.10.2006 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
ha, no. i don't know. it was just a lot of money for what it was, but it was pretty rewarding to see madonna get pegged with a water bottle.

It was a lot of money, but I had fun. It isn't something I would do every year, it would have to have a good line-up. But the tickets were a nice birthday present, and my dad and I had fun (except he didn't like Animal Collective haha, a little too 'interesting' for him).

DemonBox 09.10.2006 02:48 PM

I really enjoyed Sereena Manesh this summer, they were awsome. The Raconteurs were great aswell. And the norwegian hiphop act Gatas Parlament blew me away.

I saw 20 minutes of Clap your hands.. cuz they were playing a festival I went to. I had never heard them before, and what a waste of time! overhyped crap. yuck.

Iain 09.10.2006 02:50 PM

Haino.

jon boy 09.10.2006 02:52 PM

sunburned last night. pure fucked up bliss.