Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

pepper_green 11.19.2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
UGH. Everyone (clickbait sites, the freaking AP) is totally misinterpreting a Kanye comment about Donald Trump.

So, yeah, he technically did say "I would have voted for Trump," and called Trump's methods effective "because he won!" But what he means, very obviously, at least to me, is that he gets why people voted for Trump. He's saying the methods Trumo used "non-political" and more like simple branding and advertising, are powerful and effective.

He then went on to say of course Trump's racist, we live in a racist country, this isn't news, let's talk about what's next. He also said he'd move his family to Canada if Trump won. So... yeah.

But still, every headline is "Kanye West supports Trump," or "Kanye: 'I would vote for Trump." Uggggghhhh.

Now what I DON'T understand is why the FUCK he apparently didn't vote. Like... what. If I knew him, I'd be considering unfriending his ass, and I'd be having very pointed, unpleasant conversations with him as I am currently having with every one of my non-voting "friends." *facepalm*

Why does he get himself into this shit?

dis nigga here. dis nigga white boy crazy az fuuc. dude trips me out. he claims he can understand Kanyes incoherent blather but, doesn't understands anyone elses.

Severian 11.19.2016 07:39 PM

Duuuuude.

Ugggghhhh.

Talk normal.

pepper_green 11.19.2016 07:41 PM

ok. nigga u twisted as fuuc.

Severian 11.19.2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
ok. nigga u twisted as fuuc.

What are your top 10 hip-hop albums of all time, greezy?

pepper_green 11.19.2016 10:39 PM

damn, that was a curve ball. let, let me get back to you on that.

geez, just sucker punch me why don't you.

pepper_green 11.19.2016 10:52 PM

ok, this isn't definitive.

I like Wu and all the first solo albums

first two Beastie Boys

Public Enemy of course, because im a white boy punk and Ghetto Boys.

lots and lots of east coast including Nas, Mobb Deep and so on. west coast doesn't do shit for me.

MF Doom to J Dilla

da la to the Tribe.

Outkast. oh god Outkast!!!!

some Kayne to old boom bap because im old.

you know, the typical shit. I don't have a whole lot of love for trap and lots of ignorant southern rap. Lil Wayne seems like a cool dude to hang with tho, but all in all im old school.

pepper_green 11.19.2016 11:10 PM

don't know. something like that and everything in between. I think rap should drop knowledge. keep the stupid to yrself and fuck off if yr down with polluting society wit bullshite.

louder 11.19.2016 11:20 PM

Quote:

Hmm. When's that coming out again?

I hope it's more like "FML" and less "Beat it"-lite

It'll sound warmer than his previous stuff. The new single "I Feel It Coming" with Daft Punk did it for me.

louder 11.19.2016 11:24 PM

Quote:

west coast doesn't do shit for me.

Really? The Chronic and Doggystyle all day..

pepper_green 11.19.2016 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Really? The Chronic and Doggystyle all day..

yea, I mean yeah, I like that stuff too. west coast gangster became so popular so quick. I remember the 90's.

yeah, I mean I love The Chronic and all but, i never indulged in the Gfunk thang. Doggystyle not so much. weak album compared to The Chronic.

Nas and Wu provided something that was much more alternative for me at the time........ they were promoted but not like the west coast thing. MTV.

louder 11.19.2016 11:39 PM

I always preferred Wu and Nas as well.. but after years of being into them, I currently find myself enjoying The Chronic a little more.

Honestly the lyrics can get old really fast, but oh man the production is amazing.

pepper_green 11.19.2016 11:42 PM

you have to remember if you wasn't there, that the east coast didn't get on the map until Biggie. before then, it was west coast on MTV and the radio. NWA and the style had the heads up

east coast was left to MTV raps. C.R.E.A.M was mainstream but, that's about it. east coast was backpacker underground shit.

east coast didn't really break out until Jay-Z who took a lot from the gambino fam Wu style.

Severian 11.20.2016 12:29 AM

I agree on the west coast thing. A lot of that shit just sounded awful to me at the time. Remember "Keep the heads ringin?" Wow that was stupid. I've developed more of an appreciation for it since, but I still pretty much hate Dre and Snoop and whoever the fuck else was doing that vapid dumbass shit. I do like the production on the Chronic, but it sounds so weak and pussyassed compared to so much of what's come since.

Despite growing up on the west coast, I have always preferred NYC and Chicago and even Atlanta (Outkast for real) to all that one dimensional gangsta horseshit. That was the stuff all the kids who kind of tortured me listened to. I was more into Tribe in the early '90s, and when Wu-Tang blew up it was like... wow. Finally something that does "tough" without sounding completely goddamn stupid. I followed them to BIG and Jay.

Dre's done some excellent work but he might be the biggest bitch in rap history. A Drake level Bitch. I love seeing his post-diet ass in magazine ads looking like a freaking goon with Jimmy Iovine and Eminem. I laugh and I laugh. Cross your arms all you want Dre. You'll always be a bitch.

Also, as far as I'm concerned the only "Dre" that matters is André 3K.

Fucking bitchass Dre. Old man pretty boy establishment hack. Dipshit birthed Eminem for fuck's sake. History needs to forget him. Oh wait it already has. That's why he had to recruit an army to make "his" third album.

Ha ha ha. I respect the Chronic but really that shot has nothing on the Illmatics and Ready to Dies and Enter the Wu-Tangs of the world. Not even that impressive production wise. Sorry. That's my deep down feeling about Dr. Dre. I may bump Compton and the odd Dratj Row joint, and I like NWA, but Dr. Dre is no genius. He's a she-thang.

Severian 11.20.2016 12:33 AM

It's actually kind of hilarious to think about how just how much more intense and rough Wu-Tang was than anything that stupid Dre fucker ever did. They thought they were soooo hard out in Compton. But listen to "Bring the Ruckus" and compare it to Dre's toughest career moment. It's comical how lame Wu made Dre and Snoop sound by comparison. Hahaha. Yuck.

pepper_green 11.20.2016 02:53 AM

dre slaves, Wu slays and saves. Wu forever like they said and you know it.

I mean, ok was anyone on Only Built for Cuban Linx level back then? uh, no.

h8kurdt 11.20.2016 04:49 AM

Quote:

I agree on the west coast thing. A lot of that shit just sounded awful to me at the time. Remember "Keep the heads ringin?" Wow that was stupid. I've developed more of an appreciation for it since, but I still pretty much hate Dre and Snoop and whoever the fuck else was doing that vapid dumbass shit. I do like the production on the Chronic, but it sounds so weak and pussyassed compared to so much of what's come since.

Despite growing up on the west coast, I have always preferred NYC and Chicago and even Atlanta (Outkast for real) to all that one dimensional gangsta horseshit. That was the stuff all the kids who kind of tortured me listened to. I was more into Tribe in the early '90s, and when Wu-Tang blew up it was like... wow. Finally something that does "tough" without sounding completely goddamn stupid. I followed them to BIG and Jay.

Dre's done some excellent work but he might be the biggest bitch in rap history. A Drake level Bitch. I love seeing his post-diet ass in magazine ads looking like a freaking goon with Jimmy Iovine and Eminem. I laugh and I laugh. Cross your arms all you want Dre. You'll always be a bitch.

Also, as far as I'm concerned the only "Dre" that matters is André 3K.

Fucking bitchass Dre. Old man pretty boy establishment hack. Dipshit birthed Eminem for fuck's sake. History needs to forget him. Oh wait it already has. That's why he had to recruit an army to make "his" third album.

Ha ha ha. I respect the Chronic but really that shot has nothing on the Illmatics and Ready to Dies and Enter the Wu-Tangs of the world. Not even that impressive production wise. Sorry. That's my deep down feeling about Dr. Dre. I may bump Compton and the odd Dratj Row joint, and I like NWA, but Dr. Dre is no genius. He's a she-thang.

What's wrong with that?

louder 11.20.2016 07:15 AM

Ok ok.. Sev is gonna LOVE this:

"Kanye Takes Shots at Drake"
http://hiphop-n-more.com/2016/11/kan...gs-full-video/

louder 11.20.2016 07:26 AM

So I think it's pretty safe to say that collaborative album is cancelled? Feel like we just dodged a bullet.. thank God!!

Severian 11.20.2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
What's wrong with that?

Absolutely nothing wrong with being a "she-thang." I was trying to be topical and funny and I ended up sounded dumb. Sorry.

"He look like a she thang" is a lyric from Eazy-E's (awesome) "Real Muthaphukkin Gs" Dre/Snoop dis track. My bad though.

Severian 11.20.2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

Ok ok.. Sev is gonna LOVE this:

"Kanye Takes Shots at Drake"
http://hiphop-n-more.com/2016/11/kan...gs-full-video/

Uhhhh...

But he also threw shade at Jay Z and.. Beyoncé?! And left the stage after a song and a half and a 20 minute rant?

You know I love Kanye almost unconditionally, but dude... I spent a LOT of money to get myself and my girlfriend to a Kanye show this year (like... a lot; I didn't *have* to spend quite so much, but I wanted prime seats because I'd never seen him before, so I set myself back financially making that happen) Anyway, my show started late too, though I think that was because the venue was unprepared for the enormity and magnitude of his stage setup, because his buses were there a couple hours before the show started, but if he had pulled this shit at MY show, I'd be PISSED.

Yes, I hate Drake. Drake exemplifies all that is terrible and artless about modern music. But if Kanye was going to take shots at Drake, he could have done so in defense of Pusha or Cudi. I'm not even sure what this insult means, since Kanye's released plenty of free tracks over the years himself.

Also, he should be clarifying his comments about Trump. The press took it the wrong way (deliberately, I'd say) because "Kanye would have voted for Trump" is the most prime clickbait of the year. Instead, he's talking about radio and MTV (of COURSE Saint Pablo is more "relevant" than radio... it's been the year's biggest tour, and I have yet to read a negative review of a show because it's that fucking glorious), and MTV? Why does Kanye give a fuck about MTV? MTV has nothing to do with music or even fashion, and those are the things Kanye devotes himself to. And RADIO? Who even listens to the "radio" for music anymore?

I think something went down between Kanye and Jay. His earlier comments about how "Watch the Throne 2 would never happen because of the feud between Tidal and Apple" hinted that something was up. Now he's saying, a little ironically if you think about the lyrics to "Big Brother" that Jay needs to "Come to (him) as a man." So.. what happened?

Anyway, if this had been my show, I would have been pissed. And I hate being pissed at Kanye. It's like being possed at Superman or Thurston for me. Makes me sick to my gut. Now all those people have to deal with trying to get their money back (tickets have been upwards of $600 a pop in some places), and they probably won't. So everybody's saying "fuck Kanye" now, and with good reason.

Not sure why you think I'd love that man. I'd rather see Kanye "take shots" at Drake by not, y'know, acting like they're besties and making billboards with that little bitch. Not by throwing a tantrum and screwing thousands of people out of their money. :(

Severian 11.20.2016 01:50 PM

Oh, and for the record, a lot of my animosity towards Dr. Dre comes from the fact that he's sent his girlfriends to the hospital with broken fucking faces.

And Snoop is fun as a dumb living caricature, and he's certainly dropped some great verses, but he's also guilty of abusing and soliciting women for sex, even after he "escaped" ghetto life.

They're a couple of bitches. I don't hate all of their music, but I hate them as people and they are a disgrace to hip-hop culture and mankind as a whole.

louder 11.22.2016 02:09 AM

Quote:

Uhhhh...

But he also threw shade at Jay Z and.. Beyoncé?! And left the stage after a song and a half and a 20 minute rant?

You know I love Kanye almost unconditionally, but dude... I spent a LOT of money to get myself and my girlfriend to a Kanye show this year (like... a lot; I didn't *have* to spend quite so much, but I wanted prime seats because I'd never seen him before, so I set myself back financially making that happen) Anyway, my show started late too, though I think that was because the venue was unprepared for the enormity and magnitude of his stage setup, because his buses were there a couple hours before the show started, but if he had pulled this shit at MY show, I'd be PISSED.

Yes, I hate Drake. Drake exemplifies all that is terrible and artless about modern music. But if Kanye was going to take shots at Drake, he could have done so in defense of Pusha or Cudi. I'm not even sure what this insult means, since Kanye's released plenty of free tracks over the years himself.

Also, he should be clarifying his comments about Trump. The press took it the wrong way (deliberately, I'd say) because "Kanye would have voted for Trump" is the most prime clickbait of the year. Instead, he's talking about radio and MTV (of COURSE Saint Pablo is more "relevant" than radio... it's been the year's biggest tour, and I have yet to read a negative review of a show because it's that fucking glorious), and MTV? Why does Kanye give a fuck about MTV? MTV has nothing to do with music or even fashion, and those are the things Kanye devotes himself to. And RADIO? Who even listens to the "radio" for music anymore?

I think something went down between Kanye and Jay. His earlier comments about how "Watch the Throne 2 would never happen because of the feud between Tidal and Apple" hinted that something was up. Now he's saying, a little ironically if you think about the lyrics to "Big Brother" that Jay needs to "Come to (him) as a man." So.. what happened?

Anyway, if this had been my show, I would have been pissed. And I hate being pissed at Kanye. It's like being possed at Superman or Thurston for me. Makes me sick to my gut. Now all those people have to deal with trying to get their money back (tickets have been upwards of $600 a pop in some places), and they probably won't. So everybody's saying "fuck Kanye" now, and with good reason.

Not sure why you think I'd love that man. I'd rather see Kanye "take shots" at Drake by not, y'know, acting like they're besties and making billboards with that little bitch. Not by throwing a tantrum and screwing thousands of people out of their money. :(

It's obviously terrible, and Kanye owes his fans at least a public apology and some free shows.

Also, he's obviously going through some shit and I won't be surprised if mental illness is a part of it.

But hey, I'm just trying to see the bright side of it all - no more Drake collab album!

louder 11.22.2016 02:11 AM

So Kanye was hospitalized..

http://pitchfork.com/news/69992-kany...alized-report/

Not surprised. This is a good step, he definitely needs some time to recover and take care of himself..

louder 11.22.2016 02:12 AM

Drake replies to Kanye through an Instagram comment after winning some bullshit awards at the AMAs:

"Some bwoy need fi make some hit song and stop cry" (followed by a bunch of emojis..)

This is extremely corny and annoying. But what can we already expect from Drake..

pepper_green 11.22.2016 02:55 AM

so I guess the whole Kanye thing is the real deal now. as much as I joke about him....kinda feel sorry him, but he's far gone and had it coming.

it's like the Selena Gomez thing. why do these entertainers subject themselves to such a grueling lifestyle? it's not too late for her to drop out entirely and buy a nice house in the county and live a quiet life.

we all know the music industry is torturous and flatout suicide. meltdown after meltdown.... such bullshit!

pepper_green 11.22.2016 03:05 AM

noticed too that a lot of the pop stars these days are getting to where they have less and less of a personality. it's one big bowl of homogenized crap.

bah humbug, greezy signing out until.... or is that Christmas!?! whatevz.

louder 11.22.2016 03:23 AM

Quote:

noticed too that a lot of the pop stars these days are getting to where they have less and less of a personality. it's one big bowl of homogenized crap.

bah humbug, greezy signing out until.... or is that Christmas!?! whatevz.

It's mainly about looks now. Models with a voice.

Severian 11.22.2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

So Kanye was hospitalized..

http://pitchfork.com/news/69992-kany...alized-report/

Not surprised. This is a good step, he definitely needs some time to recover and take care of himself..

Christ. Ah! Why!!

He's obviously going through some capital "S" SHIT lately. The Trump thing didn't help. His words were chopped and his point was hacked to pieces by the press. Including Pitchfork, whose even today said this:

"After recently voicing his support for Donald Trump, Kanye cut off his last show early after sharing some harsh words for Jay Z, Beyoncé, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and others."

He actually didn't voice any support for Trump. He said "hey, that was an effective strategy, I would have gone for it" before calling Trumo a racist and expressing his support of Black Lives Matter, LGBTQ rights, women's rights, etc. And he didn't shit talk Hillary. He just mentioned her when he was kinda shit talking Beyoncé (which I didn't understand.)

And when he said "I'm on my Trump shit now" that was taken out of context too. What he meant to say was "I'm yelling and screaming at people now." Obviously.

Goddammit. He seemed so together and collected when I saw him. Funny, conscientious, focused. There was zero crazy in the room.

I'd flip out if everybody started hurling hate speech at me because of some banter that was taken the wrong way too.

Severian 11.22.2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Drake replies to Kanye through an Instagram comment after winning some bullshit awards at the AMAs:

"Some bwoy need fi make some hit song and stop cry" (followed by a bunch of emojis..)

This is extremely corny and annoying. But what can we already expect from Drake..

Hey there's Drake appropriating Caribbean shit again even though he's from motherfucking Canada.

Fair warning: from this point forward, if I see Drake, I *will* facepunch him. It's no longer a pipe dream. Might even seek him out. Brat bitch needs a facepunch.

Rob Instigator 11.22.2016 05:25 PM

Kanye got too much asshole bleach down his throat....fucked his mind up... wifey is the female OJ, look out......

Severian 11.23.2016 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Kanye got too much asshole bleach down his throat....fucked his mind up... wifey is the female OJ, look out......

Sometimes you're just an asshole my friend.

It's fine if you don't like his music (fine, though a wee bit sad since you spend your time listening to watered down baby Kanyes and are, I believe, missing out on truly great shit because of it), but don't make fun of people who are publicly struggling with mental illness.

If Drake had a mental illness (that he was aware of, and sought treatment for it) not even I, the Drakehater, would never give him shit for that.

Also, if you can't see the appreciate MBDTDF (or Lat Reg, or Yeezus, etc.) you probably don't understand hip-hop very well.

Too mean, bro

pepper_green 11.23.2016 12:40 AM

Quote:

Oh, and for the record, a lot of my animosity towards Dr. Dre comes from the fact that he's sent his girlfriends to the hospital with broken fucking faces.

And Snoop is fun as a dumb living caricature, and he's certainly dropped some great verses, but he's also guilty of abusing and soliciting women for sex, even after he "escaped" ghetto life.

They're a couple of bitches. I don't hate all of their music, but I hate them as people and they are a disgrace to hip-hop culture and mankind as a whole.

my thoughts. 2001 is even worse. West coast had it bad with treating women...uh.. bad. because they didn't have no game to get any besides with nasty black ass hood rats. along with terrible terrible frumpy lazy weed raps to go along with. dated shit!

big nuts and dick in yo mouth. I skeeted in yo mother's throat. fo realz!!

fuck west side. come get dat southside BBQ

pepper_green 11.23.2016 12:59 AM

Quote:

What's wrong with that?

redneck white trash!!! that's what's wrong with that. same trash you hate. same trash you love. same trash that voted for trump. same trash you love.

Eminem is a scab. like Korn. America went from strip clubs GnR to Nirvana to meth heads in a trailer park to Obama to Trump and back to Eminem.

I think there's something very wrong with that. he's a cancer that shouldn't exist like Limp Biscuit, Korn and Kid Rock.

noisereductions 11.23.2016 08:18 AM

leave Korn alone! ;)

Severian 11.23.2016 10:06 AM

Quote:

my thoughts. 2001 is even worse. West coast had it bad with treating women...uh.. bad. because they didn't have no game to get any besides with nasty black ass hood rats. along with terrible terrible frumpy lazy weed raps to go along with. dated shit!

big nuts and dick in yo mouth. I skeeted in yo mother's throat. fo realz!!

fuck west side. come get dat southside BBQ

Uhh.. ok, can't say I agree with the "nasty black ass hood rats" comment, which seems like it was meant to be comical in an irreverent kind of way, but sounds ... just... wow... really, really terrible.

But I'm with you in general on that whole era of rap. I think the stuff coming out of the five boroughs was always more open minded and more musically diverse, as well a broader in scope and subject matter.

Now, that's not to say Biggie didn't say some awful things about women, or do some awful things to women. Hell, there's an entire narrative to Ready to Die that deals with his outright dismissal of women's feelings. But he also loved his mama and his daughter and never put a woman in the hospital, far as I know.

[EDIT: Well, I'm an idiot. Tupac definitely deserves extreme loathing. I had a feeling I'd forgotten something... felt the same way when I mentioned Big, so I quickly searched for a breakdown of his rap sheet before saying anything. Almost did the same with Pac, but kept thinking about "Dear Mama" and decided not to. Blah. Anyway, I have no good reason for forgetting that since I watched all that drama unfold. I actually think he avoided the formal rape charge, but I'm not sure.]

Also, Tupac was just plain better than Dre and Snoop. Better rapper, better lyricist, better beat selector, better actor, smarter, better, faster, stronger. :)

h8kurdt 11.23.2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

I guess I should say that I don't throw Tupac in with Dre and Snoop on the whole "unabashed misogyny/domestic abuse/horrible person through and through" thing. I'll bet Pac did plenty of fucked up shit to women just like Big, but I'm not aware of any evidence of domestic abuse or battery. Also, Tupac was just plain better than Dre and Snoop. Better rapper, better lyricist, better beat selector, better actor, smarter, better, faster, stronger. :)

He went to prison for sexual abuse/rape.

Severian 11.23.2016 10:21 AM

After all those years of terrible, sexist gangsta rap, it really was refreshing to hear someone like Jay-Z come to the fore with lyrics that were closer in spirit to what NYC hip-hop had been about pre-gangsta war.

A lot of folks don't love Vol.2 Hard Knock Life, and it is indeed not his best work, but it has one of his best ever singles with the title track. When I heard that beat and that sample I was hooked, but it may have been the following lyric that made me take notice the most:

"I rap for chicks wishin, they didn't have to strip to pay tuition"

Still embryonic though he was, Jay had a conscience, and mixed it with a more "classy" kind of gangsterism. Plus the music was buoyant and evergizing, not flat and dull like Dre's shit.

I don't think I actually started to really ENJOY "west side" and g-funk-centric mainstream rap music until Kendrick came out. Good Kid, TPAB and even Section.80 are all SO, so, sosososo SO much better than anything from the Death Row era. Plus, you can love Kendrick's music without feeling like you're supporting a fucking terrible human being, because just a downright lovely dude.

Severian 11.23.2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Fuck my dumb ass. I remember. Not sure what I was thinking. Sorry.

Actually I didn't know it was formally "rape" ... but yeah. Fucking gross. Fuck him. I guess I let "Dear Mama" color my memory.

Super big bitch then, Tupac. But musically he was still way better than his woman-beatin' bros.
God I feel dumb now.

louder 11.23.2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Because he was set up. He didn't really do it.

Severian 11.23.2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Because he was set up. He didn't really do it.

What? Really? He and his homies didn't gang rape that girl?

Sources please.