Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

louder 06.01.2016 11:04 AM

Yeah I'd rather have a solo album too.. then they can make a collab album or whatever if they want to.

Severian 06.01.2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Yeah I'd rather have a solo album too.. then they can make a collab album or whatever if they want to.

Well, I've heard the full track a few times, and I'm very impressed. Nice production. Not sure who's on the boards for this, but it sounds different, in a good way.

Jay's verse may be his best since 2010/2011. It was really something to hear him get going. I haven't heard Jay sound that fierce in a long time. MCHG was a solid, good album, but it wasn't really Jay being Jay. He sounded very laid back (which he probably is, and damn well should be after a career like his). I'm not saying there's no place for that more understated, elder-statesmanlike voice in Jay's overall "thang," but I welcome the bare-knuckled sound of his "Drug Dealers Anonymous" verse.

Feeling good about King Push now. I hope it's nothing but highlights. Because frankly, both MNIMN and Darkness Before Dawn had their weaker moments. Since King Push has been a long-term project, I hope he gives us nothing but gold on this one. Nothing against the other two... They're two of my favorite rap records of the decade, but I think he can do better.

pepper_green 06.01.2016 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I no longer subscribe to Tidal.

me too. did you have problems with them taking money out without reminded you or waited until you made a payment? I think they are thieves. I would notice cash taking out of my debit card like a ghost. so I cancelled. also my pc made a funny noise late at night. think it was them stealing my money. haven't had any problems since.

Severian 06.01.2016 09:18 PM

Can't say it enough though ... albums from Kanye, Kendrick, Chance AND Pusha all in the same year? It's insanity. I can't imagine it getting much better than this. Only a surprise release of Once Upon a Time in Shaolin, or a new Mos Def (I won't hold my breath), or a second 'Ye album that was as good as the first, or something crazy like that could make this year any more of a hip-hop dream come true for me.

pepper_green 06.01.2016 09:23 PM

a second Ye could cause me to become a responsible being.

Severian 06.01.2016 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
me too. did you have problems with them taking money out without reminded you or waited until you made a payment? I think they are thieves. I would notice cash taking out of my debit card like a ghost. so I cancelled. also my pc made a funny noise late at night. think it was them stealing my money.

Actually, of all the services, I feel like TIDAL has been the most professional, and the most concerned about me getting what I paid for.

I mean, the fact that they extended their free trial for an additional month just because Ye made a few changes to TLOP was unnecessarily cool of them. And they did that TWICE.

And you know, neither Spotify not Apple Music send me reminders that I'm going to have a payment due. They just take the monthly payment amount from my bank account every month, and they don't say a word about it. So don't blame TIDAL for that. The worst offender for that shit is Amazon Prime. That service is, like, $100 a year and doesn't buy you much of anything to begin with, but once your free trial is up, or once the year rolls over, they just charge you $100 without so much as a friendly reminder.

That's fucked up.

Tidal was fine. I just already subscribe to Apple Music and Spotify, and I don't need the service. If they step up their fan, I'd be willing to replace my Spotify premium with a Tidal account. But for now, it's just excessive. Especially since I almost always buy the albums I want.

Actually I ALWAYS buy the albums. I never rely solely on any streaming service for access to music. I just keep Apple and Spot going because they send me alerts about new releases, and occasionally recommend something that I hadn't heard before. VERY occasionally. Rarely. Can't remember the last time it happened.

Ugh. It's kind of gross that I spend money every single month on what amounts to emails about new releases, most of which I'm already aware of.

First world problems.

Severian 06.01.2016 09:28 PM

Quote:

a second Ye could cause me to become a responsible being.

That sounds scary bro.

pepper_green 06.01.2016 09:35 PM

Quote:

That sounds scary bro.

why? cause im a scary unreliable person? I do have my shit together believe it or not.... before 9:00.:)

pepper_green 06.01.2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Actually, of all the services, I feel like TIDAL has been the most professional, and the most concerned about me getting what I paid for.

I mean, the fact that they extended their free trial for an additional month just because Ye made a few changes to TLOP was unnecessarily cool of them. And they did that TWICE.

And you know, neither Spotify not Apple Music send me reminders that I'm going to have a payment due. They just take the monthly payment amount from my bank account every month, and they don't say a word about it. So don't blame TIDAL for that. The worst offender for that shit is Amazon Prime. That service is, like, $100 a year and doesn't buy you much of anything to begin with, but once your free trial is up, or once the year rolls over, they just charge you $100 without so much as a friendly reminder.

That's fucked up.

Tidal was fine. I just already subscribe to Apple Music and Spotify, and I don't need the service. If they step up their fan, I'd be willing to replace my Spotify premium with a Tidal account. But for now, it's just excessive. Especially since I almost always buy the albums I want.

Actually I ALWAYS buy the albums. I never rely solely on any streaming service for access to music. I just keep Apple and Spot going because they send me alerts about new releases, and occasionally recommend something that I hadn't heard before. VERY occasionally. Rarely. Can't remember the last time it happened.

Ugh. It's kind of gross that I spend money every single month on what amounts to emails about new releases, most of which I'm already aware of.

First world problems.

gotcha. not a big fan of either of them. I've never forgot about buying cd's. still do.

noisereductions 06.01.2016 09:47 PM

in fairness, if you buy physical items from Amazon often, the free 2-day shipping more than pays for itself in a year. To me the access to streaming media they throw in is just a perk.

pepper_green 06.01.2016 09:58 PM

I have that. so that more than pays for the hassle considering how cheap used cd's are now. that's not a bargain, that's a fucking steal. never got to thinking budget and all buying from amazon but I have prove now that I think about it.

I never really wanted to subscribe to nothing. just another payment like a phone.

Severian 06.01.2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

why? cause im a scary unreliable person? I do have my shit together believe it or not.... before 9:00.:)

Just bustin' chops my friend.

Honestly I'm not sure I want Ye to drop another album so soon. Not unless it's something he has all planned out, something meticulous and toiled over. I would NOT want to see him releasing a new internet album/mixtape every 6 months like he's taking a shit. For Young Thug and whoever else, that's fine, but I'm for quality over quantity with Ye. All day long.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.01.2016 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
in fairness, if you buy physical items from Amazon often, the free 2-day shipping more than pays for itself in a year. To me the access to streaming media they throw in is just a perk.

My sister loves it.

Severian 06.01.2016 11:20 PM

Quote:

I have that. so that more than pays for the hassle considering how cheap used cd's are now. that's not a bargain, that's a fucking steal. never got to thinking budget and all buying from amazon but I have prove now that I think about it.

I never really wanted to subscribe to nothing. just another payment like a phone.

Most used cd's aren't eligible for prime shipping. Not last time I had it anyway. Last time I had it, it gave me access to a slightly better movie collection than a non-prime user, but that collection was still much worse than Netflix. I don't order books much anymore (I'm sorry to say) because of the kindles and iPads and my own inpatience. But I do order cd's... sometimes I go nuts on used ones... But those ridiculously cheap items are not sold through Amazon, but through third part retailers, and that means (meant?) they weren't eligible for prime.

Oh, I also got to watch sub par Amazon programming, like that Man in the High Castle series that was only loosely based on the book (ok I didn't watch all of it, but that's how it seemed.)

louder 06.02.2016 12:12 PM

So YG changed the title to "Still Brazy".. and this is the cover art:

Why is that parental advisory sticker so huge and misplaced?

noisereductions 06.02.2016 12:47 PM

I always wondered why he didn't call the last one My Brazy Life, since he had the theme going w/ "Bicken Back Bein Bool."

noisereductions 06.02.2016 12:51 PM

re: Amazon - I use Prime all the time. Like, all the time. I check the gold box deals and various sales. I'm always finding cheap CD's, DVD's, books, video games, electronics, PC parts, etc and the shiz gets here in two days. Sometimes it's here TOMORROW. I've never really used the streaming music, though they give you free (instant) mp3 access to most new CD's you buy so you can listen to them while you wait for the CD to arrive. It's stored in some kind of personal cloud. I've used the video streaming app on my Roku as it does have some stuff that Netflix doesn't (like Curb Your Enthusiasm for instance). On the Kindle side, there's some Prime perks as well. Seriously, we got Prime "by accident" because the free trial expired. That was like 4 or 5 years ago. And we've renewed it every year since. Love it.

Severian 06.02.2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

So YG changed the title to "Still Brazy".. and this is the cover art:

Why is that parental advisory sticker so huge and misplaced?

Good question. It doesn't even look like a sticker. It looks like one of those printed on the cover PAEL "logos"... Which is worse. If it was a sticker we could forgive it being slapped on a weird place. The fact that it's printed means it's essentially part of the album cover design. Which means someone really sucks at their job.

Better question: why the fuck is it called "Still Brazy"? What does that mean? it can't be a Barter 6 copyright issue, can it? Why follow up an iconic title like My Krazy Life with "Still Brazy"? It's like he was forced to change it, and wants everyone to know that it was originally something (kind of) clever and thematically linked to the first one.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just come up with a different title altogether?

This... This I do not get.

Strangely, this has actually made me less interested in the album.

Severian 06.02.2016 02:56 PM

Well, I'm glad you've had a good experience with it. I'm not trying to start beef.

Apart from my personal issues with Amazon, I also have some biases about the company. When I was doing accounting, my company did some auditing for them and I headed up the account for a time. It was terrible. They're the world's biggest middle man, and they push as much work as they can off on third party AR and customer service "teams." There's an absurd turnover rate for these floating, poorly defined positions that are largely used as scapegoats for bookkeeping or clerical errors.

Also, I happen to hail from a certain region that has been absolutely polluted by their ever-growing swarm of yuppy ass "talent." They exemplify what's wrong with the US economy. They're not even remotely successful in most of their ventures, and they don't contribute anything to the world of software, hardware or app development to offset the shady business practices and gentrification.

So yeah. Maybe I'm biased.

louder 06.02.2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Strangely, this has actually made me less interested in the album.

Same. The new single was pretty bad too. It had a generic, outdated DJ Mustard type beat (like.. seriously?) and a shitty Drake feature, all of which just made me think it was a poor attempt to rehash "Who Do You Love?" so YG can get some radio play.

louder 06.02.2016 03:16 PM

And Drake is the. Worst. Fucking. Rapper. This year. Period. I feel like the only thing he cares about at this point is clearly the line up on his beard. I don't remember the last time he had a good verse, or even a particularly clever lyric. Dude is as dull as it gets. Dull, dull, dull. Why is he so popular again?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.02.2016 04:15 PM

Not sure if applicable but here in LA Brazy is Blood speak where all the "c" and "k" sounds are turned to "b" sounds. Like "Bompton" or "what's bracking?"

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.02.2016 04:16 PM

Game last record got that chorus "i done seen some brazy shit my nigga"

noisereductions 06.02.2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Not sure if applicable but here in LA Brazy is Blood speak where all the "c" and "k" sounds are turned to "b" sounds. Like "Bompton" or "what's bracking?"

This.

Severian 06.02.2016 09:25 PM

Quote:

I was not aware that this was a thing.

:(

noisereductions 06.02.2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Yeah thats why BPT and Bickin' Back...

noisereductions 06.02.2016 10:10 PM

Also you saw Pusha T wrote the McDonald's I'm loving it jingle? Dudes probably rich off that alone haha

Severian 06.02.2016 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Also you saw Pusha T wrote the McDonald's I'm loving it jingle? Dudes probably rich off that alone haha

Yes I saw that. No idea what to make of it. But yes... it is known to me.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.03.2016 12:28 AM

Quote:

Flame On Bloodz don't EVER use the "c" or "k" sound likewise Crippin Ass Cripz don't EVER use the "b" sound.

louder 06.03.2016 02:05 AM

Quote:

I know that, but it's still dumb, since his first album was titled "My Krazy Life" and it was supposed to be followed up by "Still Krazy" which would be dope, but "Still Brazy" makes no sense in that context. YG is a Blood though.

louder 06.03.2016 02:36 AM

So Beck is back on his weird dancey shit.. and he just dropped a hip hop influenced song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZlbahhoEIo

louder 06.03.2016 02:59 AM

Still Brazy tracklist:

1. Pops Hot Intro
2. Don't Come to LA (feat. Sad Boy, A.D. & Bricc Baby)
3. Who Shot Me?
4. World Is Bond (feat. Slim 400)
5. Twist My Fingaz
6. Good Times (Interlude) [feat. Syke 800, Duce, Marley Blu & Burnt Out]
7. Gimmie Got Shot
8. I Got a Question (feat. Lil Wayne)
9. Why You Always Hatin (feat. Drake & Kamaiyah)
10. My Perception (feat. Slim 400)
11. Bool, Balm & Bollective
12. She Wish She Was (feat. Jay305 & Joe Moses)
13. YG Be Safe (feat. The Homegirl)
14. Still Brazy
15. FDT (feat. Nipsey Hussle)
16. Blacks & Browns (feat. Sad Boy)
17. Police Get Away wit Murder

Severian 06.03.2016 08:36 AM

Quote:

Flame On Bloodz don't EVER use the "c" or "k" sound likewise Crippin Ass Cripz don't EVER use the "b" sound.

Wow. I had no idea being in a gang was that motherfucking stupid. Knew it was really fucking stupid, but this is honestly very difficult for me to believe because it's so fucking stupid it's making my brain shrink just thinking about it.

I believe you though. Just... wow.

Severian 06.03.2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

I know that, but it's still dumb, since his first album was titled "My Krazy Life" and it was supposed to be followed up by "Still Krazy" which would be dope, but "Still Brazy" makes no sense in that context. YG is a Blood though.

Yeah, it's like... Ok, if he's such a "flame on blood" (er whatever) why the fuck didn't he just use "Brazy" to start with? My Brazy Life and Still Brazy is dumber than all fucking hell, but at least it's consistent.

Severian 06.03.2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Still Brazy tracklist:

1. Pops Hot Intro
2. Don't Come to LA (feat. Sad Boy, A.D. & Bricc Baby)
3. Who Shot Me?
4. World Is Bond (feat. Slim 400)
5. Twist My Fingaz
6. Good Times (Interlude) [feat. Syke 800, Duce, Marley Blu & Burnt Out]
7. Gimmie Got Shot
8. I Got a Question (feat. Lil Wayne)
9. Why You Always Hatin (feat. Drake & Kamaiyah)
10. My Perception (feat. Slim 400)
11. Bool, Balm & Bollective
12. She Wish She Was (feat. Jay305 & Joe Moses)
13. YG Be Safe (feat. The Homegirl)
14. Still Brazy
15. FDT (feat. Nipsey Hussle)
16. Blacks & Browns (feat. Sad Boy)
17. Police Get Away wit Murder

Wait, Twist my Fingaz is on this? That song's a year old! I thought that was a stand-alone single. Hmm.

Anyway, the album's up on iTunes for pre-order and the PA sticker/logo looks better, so that's a (very minor) good thing.

noisereductions 06.03.2016 09:02 AM

the single on Spotify is the same artwork w/ no PA sticker.

And yeah that's why I was saying back when it shoulda been called Brazy Life. At least it woulda made some sense for consistency.

I'm holding out until I can hear it before getting any opinions tho. I straight loved My Krazy Life. So I've been looking forward to this. I think it's kind of silly to include a topical track like "FDT" tho. Kind of dates things. That seems like it shoulda been a mixtape track. But we'll see.

Anyway, looks like nothing interesting came out this week, huh?

noisereductions 06.03.2016 10:03 AM

oh man I heard "Virginia" by Clipse the other day and I was like "OMG I forgot how much I love Clipse!!!"

Now I"m kinda feeling like Sev w/ the "Where's that Pusha at?"

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.03.2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Wow. I had no idea being in a gang was that motherfucking stupid. Knew it was really fucking stupid, but this is honestly very difficult for me to believe because it's so fucking stupid it's making my brain shrink just thinking about it.

I believe you though. Just... wow.

I don't know why you think its THAT stupid..
Also there are several gentlemen who might want to have some words with you about your recently expressed opinions.

Severian 06.03.2016 11:00 AM

HOLY SHIT! CRUEL WINTER!! CRUEL WINTER!!!!

NR you were right! God bless you're beautiful face you were right! There IS a Cruel Winter, coming out sometime soon!!!

I haven't even had time to read the article yet, but I just saw this, Nd mother fuck me it's fucking HAPPENING!!

http://pitchfork.com/news/64531-kany...2-chainz-more/

noisereductions 06.03.2016 12:18 PM

OMG yes! That's awesome. Like it's real REAL. An actual song exists. Wow. Excited.