Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What Will Be The Lead Single off of Rather Ripped ? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=933)

dazedcola 04.14.2006 02:12 PM

What Will Be The Lead Single off of Rather Ripped ?

Has there been any word or hearsay about which track is going to be the first single for the new album. Im thinking it might be "sleepin around". What do you all think ?

whorefrost 04.14.2006 04:12 PM

i'm thinking there won't be one on account of the last three didn't have any.. sonic youth are very much an "album band" these days...

Soundtrax 04.14.2006 04:55 PM

i bet on Incinerate, although my favorite song is rats :)

dazedcola 04.14.2006 05:02 PM

what are you talking about ?

"unmade bed" was the first single off sonic nurse

whorefrost 04.14.2006 05:04 PM

wtf? i never knew of any singles.. physically it was a single? or just for radio playlists? hmmm... mariah carey and the arthur doyle handcream came out on 7" before nurse...

dazedcola 04.14.2006 05:11 PM

well im not sure if it was an official single, but i do remember that song was leaked way before the full record was and it was the song they played pretty much everytime they went on a show to promote sonic nurse.

whorefrost 04.14.2006 05:22 PM

so it wasn't really a single then. ok

PAULYBEE2656 04.14.2006 05:23 PM

as far as i know the last acual single release by sy was probably sunday. not counting the sweet emotion 7inch you understand....
dont care what the promo track will be, probably the first track! love the arrtwork tho

whorefrost 04.14.2006 05:24 PM

the last actual single was mariah carey and the arthur doyle handcream!

top 40 squeeze 04.14.2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
the last actual single was mariah carey and the arthur doyle handcream!

That was released before the record came out/before it was recorded/before they knew that song was gonna be on the next album. It was a limited release indie split single (500 copies initially, i believe) w/ Erase Errata and not promoted as "the new single from Sonic Nurse." It wasn't released as a cd single and distributed to radio stations etc... I even think it might be a different recording than the one on Sonic Nurse, although I never tried to compare the two. But yeah, the last real single takenn from a new record was Sunday.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 04.14.2006 08:54 PM

Sound like ur spliting hairs. A single is a single is a single, whether its on a cd or not. Right?

Chris Lawrence 04.14.2006 09:16 PM

Not splitting hairs at all. "Mariah" was a track initially released on a split single, yes, but its inclusion on "Nurse" a year later doesn't retroactively make the single a promotional device for the new LP (and yeh, it's a different mix). I don't think there were even any promo CDs for "Unmade Bed" or "Empty Page" or whatever, the "Nevermind" single was never released (though there was a video), so yeah--"Sunday" is the last official Geffen single, regardless of the fact that it was a 'real' single w/ multiple b-sides and not just a one-track promo (the implication being that even the latter wasn't created for the past couple of records). Yeah.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 04.14.2006 09:27 PM

Promo, indie rarity, poodle. It is a single. A split single, released by a label. I agree that its not a single from a record, its a diferant animal but it is a 7inch single.

Chris Lawrence 04.15.2006 03:52 AM

nobody's debating that it's a single....the subject of the thread is 'lead singles from [LPs]'...

i suppose, following the chronology of this thread, their last actual single truly was 'mariah', but in terms of singles released for album promotion, 'sunday' seems to be the last.

PAULYBEE2656 04.15.2006 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
nobody's debating that it's a single....the subject of the thread is 'lead singles from [LPs]'...

i suppose, following the chronology of this thread, their last actual single truly was 'mariah', but in terms of singles released for album promotion, 'sunday' seems to be the last.

cant argue with chris lawrence, he should know...

fuck singles anyway, i cant remember the last one i bought. and i dont count split singles as single releases....... splits are different, as are one track promos!

i do have the 12 wedding present hit parade 7 inch singles tho, proud of those!!!!

finding nobody 04.15.2006 08:24 AM

there was a video for peace attack. doesn't that make it a single?

fictionfriction 04.15.2006 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
i do have the 12 wedding present hit parade 7 inch singles tho, proud of those!!!!

was that from when they released a single every month for a year? quite a cool idea that. i've never really listened to them much but their old guitarist was a science teacher at my school a few years back!

kingcoffee 04.15.2006 09:02 AM

YR all geting way too involved with semantics. Besides, I think that the song they will promote first aka a single, will be Do You Believe in Rapture?

hebbel 04.15.2006 10:17 AM

should be "the neutral"...

whorefrost 04.15.2006 12:20 PM

i didn't realise it was a different mix, will have to break out the narnack 7" again... picked it up at an erase errata show in glasgow actually.. i remember when i heard it i was blown away... still am actually... nurse is very special..