Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kim performing with Nirvana tonight? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=105711)

The Soup Nazi 05.30.2014 05:39 PM

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/news...ium_previe w/

"This weekend on May 31 HBO will premiere the official television broadcast of this year's Rock and Roll Hame of Fame Induction Ceremony, which took place in Brooklyn back in April. While plenty of audience-captured footage surfaced the day after the event showcasing the night's performances, HBO has shared a preview of their coverage with a clip of St. Vincent performing Nirvana's "Lithium" alongside surviving members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic."

TAPE-AND-SHARE, PEOPLE!!!

Nefeli 05.31.2014 01:35 AM

dunno if its because english isnt my native language and i m sure i wouldnt like it even if i was 20; the usage of grannypanties words hurts my ears' aesthetics.

The Soup Nazi 05.31.2014 05:51 PM

Jesus Christ Monkeyballs, can we FOCUS on what's truly relevant here? Somebody, please, record and share the HBO broadcast! Goddammit...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.31.2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
the usage of grannypanties words hurts my ears' aesthetics.

I feel the pain of everyone, then I feel nothing..

Chris Lawrence 06.01.2014 06:22 PM

Enjoy.

dasx 06.02.2014 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

Sorry, but I have to say this was really crappy performance from Kim. She really couldn't sing that song at all. It was more sad than good. :(

deflinus 06.02.2014 05:15 PM

isn't nirvana popular enough? for fuck's sake

Chris Lawrence 06.02.2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasx
Sorry, but I have to say this was really crappy performance from Kim. She really couldn't sing that song at all.

It's almost as if the song doesn't accommodate the vocal range of a man in his early 20s and a 60-year-old woman.

I still like it. :o And "Aneurysm" is one of my least favorite Nirvana songs. (boo! hiss!)

SonikJesus 06.03.2014 02:56 AM

Kim sounded amazing on aneurysm. sounded like she did dirty era. hers was the best then lithium. joan wasnt bad but wasnt great. all apologies sucked but its growing on me. anyway whatever Kim was amazing. i love her

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.04.2014 01:24 PM

Yes, I agree, I think Lorde killed it. She sounded like Rocky Balboa.

Also, every time I hear Dave Grohl play the fucking drums I continue to think to myself, "Why the FUCK did this guy was so many years with the Foo Fighters?" Sure, his song writing wasn't bad, even had some good ones sprinkled in there, BUT, his drum work? It is one of a kind, all time great kind of shit. Even what he drummed in Them Crooked Vultures is disgustingly good. He has the perfect balance of speed, attack, and yet an almost delicate precision. When he crashes into the symbols, it sounds almost more like jazz than punk or metal. His rolls are tight yet fluid. His timing is as perfect as a metronome. Man what I could do with a drummer like that... A message to Dave Grohl, you should play the drums more.

AND TO BE SURE, KIM GORDON WAS PROBABLY MORE PUNK THAN I'VE EVER SEEN HER IN 30 YEARS OF HER MUSIC. SHIT. She was feeling it, and clearly missed Kurt so she channeled it. Notice the members of the crowd who were quasi-headbanging to teen spirit we bewildered, almost mystified. They didn't know what to do. Yet, THAT WAS FUCKING NIRVANA right there. THAT was a Kurt throwing his guitar at the PA moment. Brilliant. Only Kim could have done that, she was a real part of that Nirvana group, the others were just paying homage.

jennthebenn 06.04.2014 08:57 PM

Kim's performance was punk rock personified. It was "wrong" and ugly and genuine and invigorating. Kurt would have loved that shit. The only way she could have made it better was if she jumped into the crowd and kicked Jann Wenner in the face. Which I'm always hoping will happen at these shows anyway. (Note: I am not advocating violence. I am advocating kicking Jann Wenner in the face.)

SonikJesus 06.05.2014 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Yes, I agree, I think Lorde killed it. She sounded like Rocky Balboa.

Also, every time I hear Dave Grohl play the fucking drums I continue to think to myself, "Why the FUCK did this guy was so many years with the Foo Fighters?" Sure, his song writing wasn't bad, even had some good ones sprinkled in there, BUT, his drum work? It is one of a kind, all time great kind of shit. Even what he drummed in Them Crooked Vultures is disgustingly good. He has the perfect balance of speed, attack, and yet an almost delicate precision. When he crashes into the symbols, it sounds almost more like jazz than punk or metal. His rolls are tight yet fluid. His timing is as perfect as a metronome. Man what I could do with a drummer like that... A message to Dave Grohl, you should play the drums more.

AND TO BE SURE, KIM GORDON WAS PROBABLY MORE PUNK THAN I'VE EVER SEEN HER IN 30 YEARS OF HER MUSIC. SHIT. She was feeling it, and clearly missed Kurt so she channeled it. Notice the members of the crowd who were quasi-headbanging to teen spirit we bewildered, almost mystified. They didn't know what to do. Yet, THAT WAS FUCKING NIRVANA right there. THAT was a Kurt throwing his guitar at the PA moment. Brilliant. Only Kim could have done that, she was a real part of that Nirvana group, the others were just paying homage.

yea about grohl. and about kim too. that shit was on point on so many levels. i wish i had seen that secret gig they did. she also sang negative creep which probably was perfect too. j from dino played guitar and sang some songs too

dasx 06.05.2014 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Definitely Dave Grohl should focused more on playing drums. He's one of the best drummers in the world far more interesting in what comes to his drumming than his songwriting. Foo Fighters have couple of great songs (eg. Everlong) but most of the stuff is lame pop rock shit.

The Soup Nazi 06.06.2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnyboyz
Here's a better video of all Nirvana performances without stopping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0qWMorvwjc

Thank you. I downloaded the maximum available quality of this video, put it on a USB stick, jammed it into my TV and it looks pretty decent. Having said that, I missed the days (from, um, a coupla years ago or so ;)) when you could count on a properly authored DVD or a quality .ts file appearing somewhere...

Genteel Death 06.07.2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
he also did some great stuff with queens of the stone age.

Your mum did great stuff with them too, motherfucker.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.07.2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

hey!! at least im drunk when im rude to people here.

you just have a dick in ur ass.

(a) Marry who you love, if Genteel likes dicks up his ass isn't that his business and (b) how do you know he isn't drunk all the time?

The Soup Nazi 06.08.2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

with warbly vocals and pat smear....it was almost like a tight Germs gig.

With their producer right there, as well.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.13.2014 01:13 PM

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if Courtney's lawyers were involved..