Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Odd Future thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41963)

Derek 02.11.2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
oh cool. Just surprised that it's not free then.

in the words of tyler himself, "nigga gotta eat".

noisereductions 02.11.2011 02:47 PM

truth.

noisereductions 02.11.2011 05:38 PM

holy shit have you guys heard "Yonkers" ???????

Derek 02.11.2011 06:07 PM

i posted about it on the last page dumbass.

has anyone heard the lykke li remix? that's GOOD.

noisereductions 02.11.2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
i posted about it on the last page dumbass.

has anyone heard the lykke li remix? that's GOOD.

:( my bad.

yeah I got that today too.

Derek 02.11.2011 08:27 PM

hahaha I'm just playing.

keep poppin pimples 02.11.2011 08:43 PM

i might be the only one but i find odd future boring as hell

Derek 02.11.2011 08:58 PM

okay.

noisereductions 02.11.2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
i might be the only one but i find odd future boring as hell

you probably are. They're easily the most interesting hip hop group I can think of since I dont know when. i'm not talking about "skills" or whatever. That shit's subjective. But there's no denying that they are compelling. Which is opposito of "boring."

keep poppin pimples 02.11.2011 11:35 PM

i don't find it compelling at all, it's teenagers trying to sound hard and dropping punchline after punchline over what sounds like teenagers trying to make madlib beats. the raps are like a mix of camron and mf doom(in a bad way) and i don't see how they can get big when someone like hell razah or sick jacken is better in every possible way for my standards.

they're not bad but they aren't interesting or memorable at all

Derek 02.12.2011 07:54 AM

okay.

noisereductions 02.12.2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

they aren't interesting or memorable at all

then why are so many of us interested in them? Even many of us who have spent a lifetime binging on hip hop?

keep poppin pimples 02.12.2011 12:08 PM

every performer has people interested in them, that doesn't mean anything, i obviously didn't say you don't find them interesting so i have no idea what you're getting at

personally i'm not interested in the rape fantasies of a nerdy 16 year old at all

Derek 02.12.2011 01:02 PM

okay.

noisereductions 02.12.2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

every performer has people interested in them, that doesn't mean anything, i obviously didn't say you don't find them interesting so i have no idea what you're getting at

personally i'm not interested in the rape fantasies of a nerdy 16 year old at all

yr interested enough to keep posting in a thread about them.

Derek 02.14.2011 09:37 AM

okay so the new Tyler is coming out on XL recordings. one album deal thing.

noisereductions 02.14.2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
okay so the new Tyler is coming out on XL recordings. one album deal thing.

seems like a good fit.

Decayed Rhapsody 02.15.2011 03:13 PM

The beat on that new Tyler track is sick. Really really addictive.

Having said that, I kinda wish a gay rapper (or anyone, really) would step up and create a counterpoint/dialog to this bullshit empty shock posturing Odd Future seem to be getting away with. Why, lyrically, is talking about faggots and bitches still considered revolutionary? I don't buy this whole "I'm only mirroring my reality" bullshit anymore - there's an asymmetry to a lot of their lyricism that feels really tiring. And i say this as a die-hard hip hop fan. I guess there's been slightly less overt homophobia in mainstream rap and it now becomes acceptable and edgy to start railing against faggots? Whenever pitchfork indie culture machine et. al writes about hip hop, it's always treated as some kind of subaltern place, like they need to change their critical lenses or something since they're so unequipped, or they're afraid to touch on issues like political economy without it looking like white tastemakers admonishing "black art." I wish there were more artists producing WORK that critically engages with this stuff.

Adolfo 02.15.2011 03:30 PM

http://brickstowell.com/

SpaceCadetHayden 02.15.2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
The beat on that new Tyler track is sick. Really really addictive.

Having said that, I kinda wish a gay rapper (or anyone, really) would step up and create a counterpoint/dialog to this bullshit empty shock posturing Odd Future seem to be getting away with. Why, lyrically, is talking about faggots and bitches still considered revolutionary? I don't buy this whole "I'm only mirroring my reality" bullshit anymore - there's an asymmetry to a lot of their lyricism that feels really tiring. And i say this as a die-hard hip hop fan. I guess there's been slightly less overt homophobia in mainstream rap and it now becomes acceptable and edgy to start railing against faggots? Whenever pitchfork indie culture machine et. al writes about hip hop, it's always treated as some kind of subaltern place, like they need to change their critical lenses or something since they're so unequipped, or they're afraid to touch on issues like political economy without it looking like white tastemakers admonishing "black art." I wish there were more artists producing WORK that critically engages with this stuff.

I'm actually working on a track called 'fuck odd future'. I love Odd Future and I'm not offended by anything but I think that the idea is good enough and the rhymes are gonna come out so I'm doing it. Fuck no homo, I'm so homo.