Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Incinerate review on Pitchfork.com (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1276)

Moshe 04.25.2006 02:56 PM

Incinerate review on Pitchfork.com

http://pitchforkmedia.com/tracks/06-04-25.shtml

Sonic Youth: "Incinerate"
genre: indie rock

Old school SY fans hate this shit: Squall backgrounded, dissonance minimized, guitars locked and lissome. But the squall's still there, the dissonance essential, and the guitars wilder than you think. Behold the Sonic Youth Smart Car: maximum riff, minimum square area.

This same song on Murray Street would have been waylaid in jam-land at three, perhaps four junctures; here, solo teams with vocal, coda becomes bridge, the verse gets last licks-- it's a three-minute template but it takes them five. I dug the last two records' yawning chasms-- edgeless battlefields on which the band played out antagonistic relationships such as elegant triple-lead filigrees vs. gale-force feedback, or Sonic Youth vs. obsolescence. But this is cool, too. The climactic ascension comes tightly wrapped; feedback enjoys its moment, and a moment's all it needs. This is Sonic Youth at their most virtuosic and ordered, and if that reads like a death sentence then you should probably give yr Sister vinyl a rest already. [Sam Ubl]

Inhuman 04.25.2006 03:01 PM

A moment's all it needs? I like the SYR and older stuff where it's throughout the whole song. I still really dislike pitchfork, they're too subjective. But the new album's probably going to be great, especially considering the feedback from everybody who's heard it.

holy-reverb!! 04.25.2006 03:03 PM

bitchfork..

HaydenAsche 04.25.2006 03:38 PM

It is too bad that cunt hype-mobile Pitchfork's opinion doesn't matter.

Glice 04.25.2006 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
It is too bad Pitchfork's opinion doesn't matter.

I'm dissapointed with this post. Please edit it to include the word cunt. Thanks.

FruitLoop 04.25.2006 04:00 PM

not to be OT, but why has Pitchfork gained such an influence in such a short time^

HaydenAsche 04.25.2006 04:03 PM

Fixt, glice.

Rob Instigator 04.25.2006 04:39 PM

There is nothing wrong with Ptchfork. reviews are reviews. their reviews make much more sense than Maximum RnR's do. i like it for the info, because they tell you when stuff comes out, who is on tour, and new regional bands I may never get to hear. sometimes their choices and reviews piss me off, but what doesn't sometimes?
I for one am glad pitchfork exists.

FruitLoop 04.25.2006 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
sometimes their choices and reviews piss me off, but what doesn't sometimes?
I for one am glad pitchfork exists.

Now that's what I'd call "fair and balanced"

RockerNino 04.25.2006 04:58 PM

I enjoy Pitchfork. Sure, they don't get it right all the time, but who does? Music is subjective. I'm glad that there is a website dedicated to reviewing and gathering news about indie music. I've even discovered some great bands from their website. Rob Instigator got it right. "reviews are reviews"

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 04.25.2006 05:08 PM

I don't see anything wrong with that review. Seems pretty spot on.

holy-reverb!! 04.25.2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FruitLoop
Now that's what I'd call "fair and balanced"

just like fox news.

Proud Marie 04.25.2006 08:42 PM

Same fuckers that gave NYCG+F a 0.0. I dont even think it deserves that. This guy needs to set his biases aside and write a decent review or get sacked

Inhuman 04.25.2006 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proud Marie
Same fuckers that gave NYCG+F a 0.0. I dont even think it deserves that. This guy needs to set his biases aside and write a decent review or get sacked

I couldn't say it better.

golden child 04.25.2006 08:55 PM

pitchfork is ok, i read it when im bored and trying to read up on some douche ass indie band ive never heard of but probaly would like if i heard. never make buying decisions based on it though, sometimes downloading decisions though

i probaly sound like a fool but what is incinerate? a track of the new record or something? the new-ish syr?

HaydenAsche 04.25.2006 08:57 PM

I think it is from Rather Ripped. Don't feel like a dumbass. All of the cunts creaming their pants about the new record and reading their uneducated wanna-be hipster asses up on Pitchfork are the real fools.

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 04.25.2006 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proud Marie

Haha. It's phunny when people talk about Pitchfork like it's one person. They have different writers with different opinions. Duh.

So, in my opinion, some of their writers kick mucho ass. Their reviews are quality reading(and can be very informative too). Others, well, big fat meh.

This guy had nothing to do with the NYC G+F review. He probably wasn't even on the staff when it was written. He liked the new song. What more do you want from the poor bastard!?

HaydenAsche 04.25.2006 09:47 PM

Pitchfork is still incredibly hypocritical. They could have the same people write reviews for the same band records or something. They praise shit like 50 cent but give good bands shitty reviews.

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 04.25.2006 09:54 PM

Hypocritical? I don't follow. Some writers like some albums, they don't like others. So? They're reviews. They're totally subjective. They're not scripture, it's just one writer's opinion.

HaydenAsche 04.25.2006 09:56 PM

I'm saying that it sucks. Basically, they should have someone who likes or has some idea who Sonic Youth is write the reviews versus some idiot who gives NYCG&F a 0.0. I don't care though.