Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Illbient (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4263)

sonicl 07.19.2006 07:19 AM

Illbient

So, we've done shoegazing, we've done goth. Please can we discuss Illbient next?

I've just been listening to "Nosferatu" by Liminal, which is what's inspired me to start this thread, but I also own stuff by DJ Spooky, Sub Dub and DJ Olive. The sound of all this stuff is amazing, laidback and yet slightly scary at the same time.

Do we have any illbient afficionadoes in the house?

Tokolosh 07.19.2006 07:23 AM

Isn't Dj Olive the guy that uses ringtones, atari sounds, etc?
I think he's also on one of the SYR cd's and a project with Kim G.

sonicl 07.19.2006 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Isn't Dj Olive the guy that uses ringtones, atari sounds, etc?
I think he's also on one of the SYR cd's and a project with Kim G.

That's the one.

Tokolosh 07.19.2006 07:25 AM

Haven't heard much. Maybe you can elaborate on the genre?

porkmarras 07.19.2006 07:33 AM

Yes this has to be filed into the electronica phase that was instigated by my industrial phase.Are we on a time machine today or what?

sonicl 07.19.2006 07:33 AM

Okay - take The Orb as a starting point. They're not illbient, it's just a familiar place to start. Now take away The Orb's ecstasy, but let them keep their blow, and then give them another darker drug. Then sit them in a darkened room, with dub reggae paying on one side, and ambient playing on the other. Leave them in there for a week. Then put them in a recording studio and tell them to make a record based on their experiences of the last week.

That record would probably be illbient.

RdTv 07.19.2006 07:34 AM

Would Bill Laswell/Ikue Mori classify as illbient?

sonicl 07.19.2006 07:37 AM

Bill Laswell seems to have his fingers in numerous pies, but, yes, illbient is one of them. I know Ikue Mori has links with the illbient community, but I couldn't say whether any of her music qualifies.

Tokolosh 07.19.2006 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
give them another darker drug. Then sit them in a room, with dub reggae paying on one side

Darker drug? Like a PCP/LSD25 cocktail laced with a horse tranquilizer?
Does it have to have a dub reggae influence?

porkmarras 07.19.2006 07:44 AM

Cut la Roc?Hehe,just kidding.

sonicl 07.19.2006 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Darker drug? Like a PCP/LSD25 cocktail laced with a horse tranquilizer?
Does it have to have a dub reggae influence?

Q1 - I'll have to pass on that one, I'm not an expert on the subject.
Q2 - Oh, yes, definitely

RdTv 07.19.2006 07:46 AM

Quote:

Bill Laswell seems to have his fingers in numerous pies, but, yes, illbient is one of them. I know Ikue Mori has links with the illbient community, but I couldn't say whether any of her music qualifies.

That's what I figured. I know Laswell has done/is doing work with just about every genre you could name. Seems like some stuff I've heard by him and Mori could classify.

_slavo_ 07.19.2006 08:03 AM

I never really understood this obscure category - it ain't ambient, it ain't dark ambient. why not just call it psychedelic dub or something?

sonicl 07.19.2006 08:06 AM

Yep, that would do nicely. Someone on the scene (DJ Spooky or DJ Olive) decided it should be called illbient though. I guess if you're going to be part of a genre you may as well name it yourself.

afterthefact 07.19.2006 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RdTv
That's what I figured. I know Laswell has done/is doing work with just about every genre you could name. Seems like some stuff I've heard by him and Mori could classify.

Bill Laswell does everything. Name a genre, and he has done SOMETHING in it.

sonicl 07.19.2006 08:18 AM

Bill Laswell seems to be a considerable figure of hatred on some scenes. Why?

Pookie 07.19.2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

So, we've done shoegazing, we've done goth. Please can we discuss Illbient next?

I've just been listening to "Nosferatu" by Liminal, which is what's inspired me to start this thread, but I also own stuff by DJ Spooky, Sub Dub and DJ Olive. The sound of all this stuff is amazing, laidback and yet slightly scary at the same time.

Do we have any illbient afficionadoes in the house?

Wow, talking of spooky, I just sat to listen to some music and decided to put on a CD I just bought (1.49 - that's pounds - I don't have a pound sign on my American keyboard!) and what is it? Nosferatu by Liminal!

Sounding good so far!

sonicl 07.19.2006 09:40 AM

Sometimes I find this board ever so slightly scary.

_slavo_ 07.19.2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Bill Laswell does everything. Name a genre, and he has done SOMETHING in it.

grindcore

Hip Priest 07.19.2006 09:47 AM

I'd never heard the term 'illbient' (I must be losing my cred), but I've heard little bits of stuff by some of the artists you mention and have quite enjoyed them. Do you know of anywhere online where I can stream tracks?