Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth to open for Pearl Jam (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=338)

krebstar 03.27.2006 12:14 PM

Sonic Youth to open for Pearl Jam

Sonic Youth and Pearl Jam will play the L.A. Forum 6. 9. 06. Is it possible for Sonic to head out on another tour with P.J. just like in 2000? Sound like a pretty sweet deal to me!

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.27.2006 12:16 PM

IDK
I heard a new Pearl Jam song today for the first time and it sounds completely different from what I'm used to. I think it was Worldwide Suicide.

Hip Priest 03.27.2006 12:23 PM

Probably a good thing for both bands.

chabib 03.27.2006 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
IDK
I heard a new Pearl Jam song today for the first time and it sounds completely different from what I'm used to. I think it was Worldwide Suicide.

but does creed still sound like pearl jam?

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.27.2006 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabib
but does creed still sound like pearl jam?

haha, didnt they have a skit like that on SNL?

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 03.27.2006 12:49 PM

Pearl Jam should be opening for Sonic Youth.

Sn@ke 03.27.2006 01:09 PM

...fuck pearl jam.

Inhuman 03.27.2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllHandsOnTheBigOne
Pearl Jam should be opening for Sonic Youth.

I second that

krebstar 03.27.2006 01:24 PM

Think about it, why should Pearl Jam be opening for Sonic Youth? Thats just indie hipster talk. I respect both bands equally, and think this will be an amazing show from both parties.

luckynumber9 03.27.2006 01:55 PM

Just for the record, the show is not tonight. It's on July 9th.

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 03.27.2006 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krebstar
Think about it, why should Pearl Jam be opening for Sonic Youth?

Because Sonic Youth > Pearl Jam

That's why.

krastian 03.27.2006 02:39 PM

A lot of bands that you could say are "greater" than Pearl Jam have opened up for them....SY, Buzzcocks etc. I'm just glad that they usually have good bands open for them.....I'm obviously still a Pearl Jam fan.:D

Savage Clone 03.27.2006 02:47 PM

I have always hated Pearl Jam....

Inhuman 03.27.2006 02:48 PM

I never really liked pearl Jam either. They're O.K I guess, I nevere got the whole hang of them

StrangeLight 03.27.2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllHandsOnTheBigOne
Because Sonic Youth > Pearl Jam

That's why.

i think pearl jam themselves would agree. they ask bands they like, bands they think are great or better than them, to open. at least they have good taste.

that said, i'm going to get my pearl jam fan club tickets on wednesday and will be MUCH closer to the stage than any of the pj-haters (except for maybe c. habib...). so have fun looking at the back of my head

LifeDistortion 03.27.2006 03:40 PM

Wow, I had no idea that Sonic Youth liked Pearl Jam. You never know who Thurston Moore is going to blast in an interview. Doesn't he have a tendancy to do that sort of thing?

Everyneurotic 03.27.2006 04:24 PM

how hypocrite you guys are!!!!

a couple of weeks ago everyone was like "fuck pearl jam!! they suck!!" if there were any posts at all, now that sy are opening for them you are like "they are not so bad..." i still think they suck!!!

and it's a shame you guys will have to conform yourself paying overpriced tickets to seeing a 40 minute sy set in a giant arena you can't see or hear
anything. sy are not an arena band, and while i think they are going to rock the house every night, it's not going to be the same.

i just hope they don't want to pull something like this next time sonic youth come to mexico. it was pearl jam's and pearl jam fans' fault i couldn't see mudhoney when they came to mexico.

the bootlegs from this tour are going to sound super crappy...

krastian 03.27.2006 04:30 PM

Well, it's kind of obvious that they are cool with Pearl Jam.....I mean this is the second time they've opened for them. Not to mention Steve and Lee played with Eddie during soundchecks on the 2000 tour (I have a great version of them doing Parting Ways and Lee even busted out Genetic). Of course, this doesn't mean YOU have to like them. I think the only other band "hated on" here more than my beloved Nirvana is my beloved Pearl Jam:mad:. Anyway, keep rockin'.

sellouteater 03.27.2006 04:52 PM

pearl jam sucks

scott v 03.27.2006 05:46 PM

i dunno whatever... pearl jam are quite boring to me, but its SY's choice. I can think of much better bands to open for in my book as has already happened and mentioned (i.e. Flaming Lips, Wilco). I'd be hard pressed to pay alot of money to see Sonic Youth play a shortened opening set because Pearl Jam are headlining...