Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   which albums? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3693)

poster72 07.03.2006 09:11 AM

which albums?

so after just seeing sonic youth and picking up murray street and rather ripped at the show, and recently digging sonic nurse, i have a rekindled love for sonic youth. amazing. im loving these new albums. ive been a fan for a while, and realized there are still many albums i dont have, mostly early ones. Which of these would you suggest? some of the early noise monster stuff is too much for me. the later half olf screaming fields of sonic love, which i gather is that early stuff, i cant get into. but i love every other album that i have. here's what i dont have.

Sonic Youth
Confusion is Sex
Sonic Death
Bad Moon rising
sister
whitey album
goo
made in usa (had and sold?)
syr4 (or any of those syr recordings)
NYC Ghosts & Flowers

so whacha think? also i was wondering now that ive seen them live again, but much more up close...can you guys tell on an album whether its thurston or lee playing certain parts? it was interesting to see live and to see who plays what.

poster

gmku 07.03.2006 09:15 AM

Um, all?

Seriously, as a fan, I love them all--although I've yet to pick up NYC G&F. My recommendation--start with the first one (Sonic Youth) and work forward. You'll gain an appreciation for how the band developed.

poster72 07.03.2006 09:20 AM

i cant believe i saw some people bashing dirty over on another thread. i need a new copy of that and daydream nation they're so banged up.

Tokolosh 07.03.2006 09:38 AM

Sy bashing has become a trend on this forum lately.
What can I say. :(

gmku 07.03.2006 09:43 AM

Forgive the bashers for they know not what they do.

nomadicfollower 07.03.2006 10:56 AM

Get Sister and Goo then move on to earlier, 'noisier' albums.

drrrtyboots 07.03.2006 11:02 AM

Sister for sure as a start and CIS, then whatever you can find from there. They play a lot of stuff of those two live now so it's good to know 'em. Plus, they're both awesome.

h8kurdt 07.03.2006 11:03 AM

bAD MOON RISING ALL THE WAY. (Sorry 'bout the cap locks)

porkmarras 07.03.2006 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
bAD MOON RISING ALL THE WAY. (Sorry 'bout the cap locks)

Yes mister?

gmku 07.03.2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower

That's a good recommendation. I love Goo. And Sister. But Goo's what hooked me on SY. If you have the coin for the deluxe edition of Goo, it's worth every penny--and in the LP edition of that, the Goo artwork is even more special.

swimsuitissue 07.03.2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Um, all?

Seriously, as a fan, I love them all--although I've yet to pick up NYC G&F. My recommendation--start with the first one (Sonic Youth) and work forward. You'll gain an appreciation for how the band developed.

Right on! That's what I did! I have such a more deeper respect and admiration for them that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise! Well, maybe I would have, but I sure have enjoyed the path I chose!

Alex's Trip 07.03.2006 04:47 PM

Get Goo and then Sister.

Fox 07.04.2006 09:36 AM

You really must have Bad Moon Rising and NYC Ghost & Flowers - Confusion is Sex too, but if you don't like their "monster noise" period, you won't like it...

candymoan 07.04.2006 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower

i was going to say exactly that...

sonic sphere 07.04.2006 09:43 AM

confusion is sex

candymoan 07.04.2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Get Goo and then Sister.

yes, basically..

nneureiter 07.04.2006 10:17 AM

I had almost all of the albums and had yet to hear Goo, but then got the Corporate Ghost DVD, which features all of Goo in music video format, and I fell in love with it. I think Disappearer is one of their best and really would love to see Dirty Boots performed live.

Danny Himself 07.04.2006 01:11 PM

Thurston plays the more basic parts because Lee is a more studied musician. It's pretty easy to tell.

Get the fucking Whitey Album. You won't regret it.

acousticrock87 07.04.2006 01:15 PM

I've hardly seen any SY bashing on this forum. Almost everyone here loves them, they just hate certain CDs. I don't like Dirty or Sonic Nurse much, but I still love Sonic Youth and am not disappointed in them because of it or something. Big difference. I just can't feel them like the rest. Nothing to complain about.

BarbecueSmell 07.04.2006 01:16 PM

I would start with Rather Ripped.It rooockkkkks maaaan!!