Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   End Of An Era (ATP) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91024)

EvdWee 04.26.2013 06:41 AM

End Of An Era (ATP)

Who's going to which?

Part 1 (ATP & Primavera Sound):
Television performing Marquee Moon (UK exclusive)
Dinosaur Jr.
Les Savy Fav
Chelsea Light Moving (feat. Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore)
múm
Dinos Chapman
Oneohtrix Point Never
Wolf Eyes
Mike Watt
Hebronix
Forest Swords
BEAK>
The Haxan Cloak
Demdike Stare
Eraas

Part 2 (ATP & LOOP):
LOOP
The Pop Group
23 Skidoo
Fennesz
Edan (DJ set)
Dirty Beaches
Eaux
Hookworms
The KVB
Thought Forms

pad_023 04.26.2013 06:45 AM

Probably going to go to both but if it comes down to it i'll choose the Loop one i'd imagine.

GravitySlips 04.26.2013 07:00 AM

would love to go to both but it'll just be the Loop one in all likelihood.

Why are these the last ATP festivals in the UK? :(

pad_023 04.26.2013 07:03 AM

They went bankrupt last year and had to downsize to camber sands from butlins. So I suspect it might be for financial reasons.

EvdWee 04.26.2013 08:21 AM

"Somewhat melancholy news reaches the Quietus offices this morning in the form of an email informing us that long-running festival hosts All Tomorrow's Parties are "calling time" on the holiday camp editions of the festival. The aim, they say, is to "allow ATP to focus on their growing schedule of city and international based events in 2014 and beyond."

In other words: they loose money on the holiday camp festivals, while the Ill be your mirror events are financially more secure.

I will probably go to the first one, since a lot of my friend will prefer that one. Might go to the second one as well.

stu666 04.26.2013 12:22 PM

I'll be going to the first one. Anyone want to share with me and cake?

_slavo_ 04.27.2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
I'll be going to the first one. Anyone want to share with me and cake?

I would, Stu. But I'll most likely I'll be moving to Vietnam in following 2 months' time (I got a job offer there), so all other plans are debatable.

Toilet & Bowels 04.27.2013 07:56 PM

tbh I've been expecting this since they started doing four festivals/year and with less and less interesting line ups as time goes by. If you compare The Tortoise, Autechre or SY ATPs of 10 years ago to the sort of thing they have now (e.g. Archers of Loaf reunion, constant recycling of 80s/90s bands etc) at a much larger (i.e worse) and more difficult to get to venue, it's two completely different festivals. It's a shame and everything, but all the things that made ATP interesting & exciting have gradually been lost as time went by, and now it barely stands out from the much cheaper and more convenient (and dull looking) stuff like Field Day.

h8kurdt 04.28.2013 02:03 AM

Yeah I agree. I dunno why they ever thought 4 festivals a year was a good idea. However, I do still think they're capable of getting some great bands to play. This'll be my 8th time going to one and sure, it did start to feel like over-familiarity was kicking in, especially at Minehead, but nothing beat when you saw that great band you'd never even heard of and being blown away.

I guess the idea of Fugazi doing it is still a pipe dream!

pad_023 05.17.2013 09:06 AM

For weekend one curated by ATP/Primavera

Godspeed You! Black Emperor,
Low, Tortoise, Magik Markers, Har Mar Superstar, Scout Niblett, Blanck Mass, Los Planetas, Standstill, Refree
and Headbirds

Weekend curated by Loop

Mogwai, Balam Acab, White Fence, Ty Segall, Föllakzoid, Wolf People, Civil Civic, Tall Firs, Dawn Hunger, Kandodo, New War
and DJ Jonathan Toubin.

h8kurdt 05.17.2013 12:47 PM

booked and ready. For the Primavera one that is. SHIT IS GONNA GO OFF!

Toilet & Bowels 05.17.2013 07:17 PM

In all likelihood I won;t have the cash for this but if I did I got to the one Wolf Eyes are playing at

Genteel Death 05.17.2013 07:29 PM

Is it a bad thing I feel it's a good thing this festival ceases to exist?

stu666 05.18.2013 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Is it a bad thing I feel it's a good thing this festival ceases to exist?

Party pooper! :p

Have you ever been to one?

Genteel Death 05.18.2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Party pooper! :p

Have you ever been to one?

No, I haven't. Too interested in boys and beer.

stu666 05.18.2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
No, I haven't. Too interested in boys and beer.

There's plenty of both of those at ATP...

Genteel Death 05.18.2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

There's plenty of both of those at ATP...

You're my ATP. How about that?

Nefeli 05.18.2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
In all likelihood I won;t have the cash for this but if I did I got to the one Wolf Eyes are playing at

lets be in contact about that, in case you get the cash, in case i get the cash.
also i saw you again in my dreams last night! smth with a lake, an english home and a sleeping dog.

Toilet & Bowels 05.18.2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
lets be in contact about that, in case you get the cash, in case i get the cash.
also i saw you again in my dreams last night! smth with a lake, an english home and a sleeping dog.

Agreed!

pad_023 06.10.2013 08:20 AM

GOAT
SUPERCHUNK
COMETS ON FIRE (reformed for this event)
GIRLS AGAINST BOYS
MICHAEL ROTHER presents the music of Neu! and Harmonia
OM

Announced for Loop