Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Antagon 05.04.2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i guess pop in a way, although i tend to think of pop as a chirpier, danceable, catchy happier stuff, and this record is a return to the cure’s darker roots. in a way, in pop culture history, they prefigure (with a different sound) the gloom that seattle would later make mainstream in a more rockist way. there are always emotional currents in various directions in the culture, and while earlier cure certainly had a following, it was their poppier melodies that got them mainstream attention. but this was “fuckit, no more lovecats”. (i like lovecats, don’t get me wrong, but this album has a very different emotional content). anyway you got me listening again hahaha thanks. 30 years flies by, wtf is this time machine. so strange...

Yeah, it's certainly a lot darker than Lovecats (which I consider to be more of a novelty track than anything - a fun one though), Caterpillar and the sort. It's no Bubblegum for sure. And thematically it does harken back to their earlier, darker stuff. With the title track and Fascination Street street even being callbacks in terms of sound for instance. I'd still consider it Pop though - cleaner production, a lot catchier, more melodic, etc.

But that really comes down to how one defines the term "Pop". There is no general consensus on that, apart from it being music that is "popular". So, I see your point. It is certainly inspired by different styles. There are said callbacks to their earlier, more gloomy output and there are the emotional themes. But there are also dreamy soundscapes, which I think Robert Smith himself once called "Rainy day Dream Pop" (I think he might have used the term "Shoegaze", but I think "Dream Pop" would be a more accurate description - also, don't quote me on that). It's an amalgamation of a lot of good things. And you're welcome :)

Severian 05.04.2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ah, shit, that was way more than well-produced pop, in its day

a bit of a religious text, in a way. a myth even.

they had been at it for a while but that year nobody could say “no” anymore

Yyyyup

“Plainsong” is one of my favorite album openers ever.

Antagon 05.04.2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yyyyup

“Plainsong” is one of my favorite album openers ever.

Fun-fact: When I saw them perform in Vienna a few years ago, they opened their set with Plainsong and proceeded with Pictures Of You and Closedown. The first three of Disintegration are so beloved and well-sequenced, that they didn't dare putting them into a different order for the concert. And that was fucking sweet.

Bytor Peltor 05.05.2019 02:23 AM

THE REM / I, Eternal - The Ruined Tymes Of Family Dinners

A great split released on Cinco de Mayo!!!

Antagon 05.05.2019 08:36 AM

Antagon 05.05.2019 10:45 AM

choc e-Claire 05.05.2019 11:12 PM

The actual songs from the OKNOTOK White Cassette.

Considering that the tape is literally just 80 minutes of leftover shit from the OK Computer sessions, it's astonishingly fun listening. Thom's solo acoustic demos of 'Let Down', 'Airbag', and two unreleased songs ('Attention' and 'Are You Someone?'); a soundcheck of 'No Surprises'; a live performance of 'Man of War'; a full band demo of 'Nude'; the alternative 'Paranoid Android' ending; and - my favourite - a very different alternate take on 'Climbing up the Walls'.

Bytor Peltor 05.06.2019 03:13 AM

Noisy deathrock by Tangent

LifeDistortion 05.06.2019 11:53 AM

Bought this last week and have been working my way through it. Its 14 full albums as well as two live albums of solo material. So many songs I've never heard before, until then I had only a compilation of songs from the 70's.

Antagon 05.06.2019 03:13 PM

Antagon 05.07.2019 12:16 PM

h8kurdt 05.07.2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion

Bought this last week and have been working my way through it. Its 14 full albums as well as two live albums of solo material. So many songs I've never heard before, until then I had only a compilation of songs from the 70's.

I actually read a great piece about his New York album. That made me realise I need to listen to more of his solo stuff, as I'm like you in only knowing his 70s stuff. Thanks for the reminder.

demonrail666 05.08.2019 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I actually read a great piece about his New York album. That made me realise I need to listen to more of his solo stuff, as I'm like you in only knowing his 70s stuff. Thanks for the reminder.

I think New York divides people here a bit but I like it a lot. It's a fairly straight Rock album. As a Springsteen fan I think you'll find a lot to like in it.

choc e-Claire 05.08.2019 02:57 AM

The Fecal Matter demo tape. While it's not winning any awards anytime soon, you can definitely see where Cobain came from.

Antagon 05.08.2019 03:37 PM

choc e-Claire 05.08.2019 08:38 PM

Antagon 05.11.2019 07:32 PM

Severian 05.11.2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon

Must spread some reputation around blah blah

GravitySlips 05.12.2019 03:01 AM

Grass Widow -- everything

I totally missed this band when they were around. Really loving what I've been hearing, their records have been on repeat for the past 3 days. Great stuff!!!

Savage Clone 05.12.2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire

I saw them on this tour. that was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen even now.