Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Yet another reason why I hate fucking festivals (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=114818)

The Soup Nazi 04.12.2017 04:45 PM

Yet another reason why I hate fucking festivals

Coachella turned down the chance to book Kate Bush
Apparently "people wouldn't understand her"

The Uncut article above includes a link to a longer New Yorker piece about the bullshit behind the festival.

Unbefuckinglievable.

gogologogolo 04.12.2017 06:25 PM

That might be a good reason to hate Coachella, but not festivals in general. Some lineups are good, some are mediocre, some festivals are mainstream and some are obscure hipster-fests. Coachella leans towards a younger generation. The lineup this year doesn't strike me as that fantastic anyway, even if Kate Bush was there.

Drjohnrock 04.12.2017 08:18 PM

The only types of music festival I like are multiple venue ones like the Fountain Square Music Festival in Indianapolis or the Big Ears festival in Knoxville. No gigantic headliners, multiple venues close enough together that people can walk to and from, and some performers that don't play out much. Last year, Big Ears had Anthony Braxton--would have loved to have been there. Cincinnati used to have a great festival like this until someone bought it from the longtime owner last year and it turned into just another overcrowded, overhyped, crowd-'em-in-like-sardines-in-a field-or-parking-lot shitfest. Fuck shit like that where it really isn't about music.

Kuhb 04.13.2017 03:01 AM

I can maybe see the logic behind market forces dictating this sort of thing. Their job is to make money, not stretch people's horizons... although it's fucking absurd that Kate Bush could be seen as some kind of out there artist to book... but that's the state of culture I guess.

What's worse is when state-sponsored events or programming follows this same logic. There needs to be somewhere where things that OUGHT to be heard are heard, irrespective of their market value at this current time.

But sometimes it goes the other way... I'm from Adelaide and for our state's big arts festival they booked the Wayne Shorter Quartet as the feature artist for one of the major events... not realizing that he wasn't doing his catchy '60s hard bop these days. So I sat in a packed out 6000 capacity theatre watching extremely free modern jazz, while a procession of people walked out. One of the best/worst things I've ever seen

h8kurdt 04.13.2017 12:24 PM

Nah they didn't. You really think Kate Bush would play a festival?

evollove 04.13.2017 02:09 PM

^ Good point. Not asking merely saved them from hearing back "Hell no." Fake news!

Severian 04.15.2017 08:59 AM

I don't think the problem is an inherent one with festivals in general, but some of them (Coachella, Bonnaroo) have just become those big fucking hairy ass deals that dreteact from what made festivals cool in the first place.

But it is bullshit if this is true. Since this came out I've read that the Coachella folks really did want Kate Bush, but whatever.

These festivals have become a bigger deal than any single headlining tour. They snag the meatiest headliners and fill their roster with acts that guarantee $$$ and that morons from all over the world will collectively flap their arms and scream "OMG."

Paging all millennials: Quit your job and come to Coachella! Or use your vacation time and come to Coachella. Either way, we know you're stupid enough to do it, so do it. Our poster is in the background on New Girl, so you know you have to go.

Severian 04.15.2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
The only types of music festival I like are multiple venue ones like the Fountain Square Music Festival in Indianapolis or the Big Ears festival in Knoxville. No gigantic headliners, multiple venues close enough together that people can walk to and from, and some performers that don't play out much. Last year, Big Ears had Anthony Braxton--would have loved to have been there. Cincinnati used to have a great festival like this until someone bought it from the longtime owner last year and it turned into just another overcrowded, overhyped, crowd-'em-in-like-sardines-in-a field-or-parking-lot shitfest. Fuck shit like that where it really isn't about music.

Don't forget Bumbershoot. It's had its ups and downs, but it's still a good festival. They do have headliners (one for each of the four days), but shits happening all over the place at the same time, in Seattle center. Plus, headliners are -- or have been -- often pretty fucking boss. Lou Reed and Sonic Youth, Wilco and R.E.M., the Pixies, etc. Oh, and Stooges, Sebadoh, Flaming Lips. Also tons of shitty-ass-shit-shit, but plenty of goodness too. Haven't been in years, but it's alright.

Toilet & Bowels 04.27.2017 05:06 AM

Why is does it make you angry that this festival didn't book Kate Bush? And why are people angry that there are music festivals for more mainstream music than they themself listen to?