Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NYC Ghosts & Flowers Does Not Suck! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17647)

Chris Lawrence 11.10.2007 09:17 PM

i'd cast 'karenology' or 'karen koltrane' alongside 'nyc ghosts' for lee songs of the past decade.

the 'nyc ghosts' tour was a fun one, w/ the addition of jim and watching the old songs slowly creepy back into the repertoire post gear-theft. the 'nyc ghosts' tunes got even better live, w/ the title track especially being the highlight/climax of the set, getting longer as the tour progressed. of course, a good 14-minute encore of 'lightnin' was always my personal highlight...

gohleekwang 11.10.2007 09:39 PM

NYC Ghosts & Flowers are one of the best SY album of all time, one of the album which you can really heard what they are trying to say.

ZEROpumpkins 11.10.2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
on the old board, nyc ghosts and flowers the song won "Best sonic youth song of all time"...

I respectfully disagree. Free City Rhymes is the best song on the album.

Forensic Scene 11.10.2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins

I couldn't agree more. the guitars on "Free City Rhymes" are the most beautiful SY has produced since Washing Machine (like Unwind). NYCG&F would be a flawless album if it wasn't for Renegade Princess. The lyrics are incredibly corny, the guitars are cool, but the lyrics just ruin its potential.

ZEROpumpkins 11.10.2007 11:11 PM

Agreed on that one too, but I don't think it alone stops the album from being flawless.

HaydenAsche 11.10.2007 11:34 PM

This thread is almost as popular as the HSBC or U2 threads.

HomelessArtist 11.11.2007 03:12 AM

how the hell?
I don't see how anyone can have anything other then a mystification and total love of NYC G&F. It had straight profetic poems, a 3d painting by William burroughs and a sound that was ultra moderen. How can anyone not be in awe of such a presentation of pure art?

And WOW. I just watched the lyricless video of free city rhymes thats posted on front page. AMAZING! It's so loose and free. Such a subtle color for a state of consciousness.

adjectives-ex 11.11.2007 03:56 AM

when this topic has come up, i have always had to say that NYC G&F is my favorite album of all time.

so, i've said it again.

i have the vinyl version even that has different song order. that's how much i love it.

inspired me to start making music again after a two-year self-imposed dry spell.

s.

Torn Curtain 11.11.2007 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
on the old board, nyc ghosts and flowers the song won "Best sonic youth song of all time"...

:confused: You disagree with the choice of the song or with the fact ?

ZEROpumpkins 11.11.2007 05:48 AM

Choice of song. Haha, how could I disagree with a fact?

jon boy 11.12.2007 04:43 AM

its my favourite and i love this album, fell in love with it straight away etc. you all know this.

GrungeMonkey 11.26.2007 05:17 PM

i have a lot to say about this album, but all in all, found it disappointing. The vocals and sometimes dodgy lyrics "boys go to jupiter, get more stupider" really let it down. Of course, Lee's title track is awesome, one of the best songs SY have ever done, and I Think small flowers crack concrete starts off really cool but is let down when kim comes in and they start chanting stuff. ORourkes production is wonderful, the guitars chime beautifully , and musically, this album is not too bad most of the time. But I feel a lot of the songs start off well but deteriorate as they go on... Perhaps I need to listen to it even more.

avantgarde1 11.26.2007 06:09 PM

yes, yes you do. i sentence you to listen to it on repeat for a month. no excuses or whining.

uhler 11.26.2007 06:51 PM

i just purchased this cd. i had it downloaded before, but never really went out of my way to buy it. it's a good album though. it's the last official sonic youth album that i had to buy to complete my collection of all thier albums.

SonikJesus 11.26.2007 07:35 PM

Yeah, man this album is so good. Free City Rhymes is such a good song.

On another note, I just started listening to EJSTNS again and i love it. Before, I thought it was ok but now I really love it. I don't know why so many people hate it. I think Thurston's vocals on this album are great too. The ony thing that I think is wrong with it is that it has no Lee songs.

sound_world 11.27.2007 06:38 AM

At first i hated NYC Ghosts & Flowers , however my point of view kinda changed about a year later...when i started to listen to it again , while i'll agree that its not there best work,
all in all its an ok album.

GrungeMonkey 11.29.2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avantgarde1
yes, yes you do. i sentence you to listen to it on repeat for a month. no excuses or whining.

ok. it is being done.

Rob Instigator 11.29.2007 01:07 PM

NYCG&F is good to me, but not GREAT. Coutn me in among those who have never found any love for EJST&NS. Boring record, worst thing SY ever put out, IMO.

For Geffen Era work, I prefer Sonic Nurse, Thousand Leaves and Goo over NYCG&F.

clever name 11.29.2007 03:17 PM

NYC Ghosts & Flowers is probably the cultiest album from one of the cultiest bands around. I think many threads on this website have hashed it over, I know I have at least three times, and I've only been posting for a year. That's what is most strangely enduring about it: the ambiguity of whether it's unspeakably awesome, interestingly novel, or embarrassingly silly. We can all sit around and wank over The White Album or Blank Generation, but no consensus exists on this artifact. I think this strange limbo in which it floats is utterly crucial to our reception and appreciation of it. But honestly, the textures, the rhythms, the monochromatic shards, how could you not love this if you love Sonic Youth? The title track is still probably their illest thing ever, and it's totally not rock and roll; more like jazz really.

adjectives-ex 11.29.2007 08:08 PM

i'm listening to it right now. it's on side2side

s.