Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New KoRn Song (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=38239)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.23.2010 05:42 AM

New KoRn Song

Apparently it's not the final mix, but it's half decent. Reminds me of something off of Follow The Leader, mixed with Hollow Life. Not really as good as either, but it's better than anything they've put out lately. I'm pumped for the new album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBc6WrIS-3k

KoRn - "My Time"

Pookie 02.23.2010 05:47 AM

Ironic Korn thread eh?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.23.2010 05:47 AM

No.

atsonicpark 02.23.2010 06:23 AM

Fuck yeah, I actually really enjoyed that... probably their best stuff since Issues.

KoRn rule. I know, I know, they're not some boring-ass guitar solo wankfest shit like Dinosaur Jr., but they're quite good.

Glice 02.23.2010 06:42 AM

I initially thought it was Korn-by-numbers. Then it wasn't. Good on them.

atsonicpark 02.23.2010 06:59 AM

Is it just Jon and Munky now?! Who are all the rest of those assholes? Ross Robinson, obviously, but who else? I heard Terry Bozio played with them for a while. Weird.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.23.2010 07:08 AM

Fieldy is still there too. David left a little while after Head to work on his restaurant or something.

Yeah Bozzio was on their horrendous Untitled album. It came out in 07 I believe.

atsonicpark 02.23.2010 07:22 AM

Weird, I didn't pay close attention to the video, just listend to the song, so I didn't see Fieldy.

Bozzio is an amazing drummer, too bad that album sucks. He played with Zappa!... I quite like Untouchables in places, but it's too long and too slick.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.23.2010 07:34 AM

Untitled and See You On The Other Side are very experimental albums for the band. I remember hearing that they were using goat hooves filled with rice for some of the tracks on See You On The Other Side.

The sad thing about that album is they hired pop producers The Matrix ( Christina Aguilera, Busted, Hilary Duff, Avril Lavigne, McFly, Jason Mraz, Ashley Tisdale, Shakira, Britney Spears, and Skye Sweetnam) and Atticus Ross to help them write the songs for them. That's the one with Twisted Transistor and Coming Undone.

If any of their albums aren't "KoRn by numbers" it's those two. However, I feel they are by far the band's weakest efforts.

KoRn recording with Bozzio on their '07 album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc5OdmHpPaE

atsonicpark 02.23.2010 07:42 AM

Twisted Transistor has the ugliest guitar riff of a successful mainstream rock song that I've ever heard... A.D.I.D.A.S, you know, also being quite ugly and ear-piercing. I can't really believe this band was ever popular, they're way more creative and interesting than most of the bands they were lumped with (with System of a Down and Limp Bizkit and Static-X and Slipknot's first albums all being classics of numetal as well). I mean... bagpipes, crying solos ("Daddy"), totally off the wall production (even on some of their slicker stuff... listen to "Predictable"!), a dude scatting, two guitarists who trade weird noises back and forth, a slap bassist who plays stuff that doesn't go with the songs at all usually.

Brilliant band.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.23.2010 07:59 AM

Predictable is great. Although my favorite track off of self-titled is Lies.

I agree with SOAD's, Limp's and Slipknot's first albums being outstanding. With KoRn and Slipknot being the best of the bunch. I never was too fond of Static X though. I'd much rather listen to Kittie.

noisereductions 02.23.2010 08:21 AM

I've actually been listening to Korn quite a bit lately. So this is making me excited for the new album.

And I agree that Korn is totally brilliant. They're way braver/weirder than all the nu-rap-metal BS they got lumped in with. Think of it this way: what other band IN THE WORLD has recorde both an unplugged album AND a chopped n screwed album?

atsonicpark 02.23.2010 09:40 AM

Static-X's Wisconsin Death Trip ruuuuuuuuuled! I loved Spineshank too. My favorite band to get lumped with nu metal was AMEN, though, even though they weren't nu metal at all imo.

Kittie rules. ORACLE is a masterpiece, actually.

00_Spool 02.23.2010 10:11 AM

Bring it downnnn!!!

Bring it downnnn!!!

Bring it downnnn!!!

Bring it downnnn!!!

Bring it downnnn!!!

Yeah
KoЯn is in the house!!!

This sounds promising. I hope it's better than the last couple of
KoЯn records. Because i haven't really enjoyed a KoЯn record properly since Untouchables (Well, aside from a few moments here and there). Glad there back to working with Ross Robinson, I always thought he brought the best out of those cats.

Oh and one last thing...

Bring it downnnn!!!

New Deftones album expected this year also. May 18, Diamond Eyes. Can't wait...

atsonicpark 02.23.2010 10:16 AM

Deftones are amazing.

hevusa 02.23.2010 12:38 PM

There are few bands I hate more than Korn. But include: Dave Mathews Band & Phish.

Rob Instigator 02.23.2010 01:09 PM

Korn, Krokus, who cares?

atsonicpark 02.23.2010 01:46 PM

Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag.

pbradley 02.23.2010 01:59 PM

I really liked that break in the middle but the main parts were less interesting.

HaydenAsche 02.23.2010 06:33 PM

I've never been too keen on KoRn although they have a few tracks that stick out to me. The only band from that whole era I can really get into is SOAD and that's only the self-titled, but what a fucking album it was.