Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   John Prine 1946-2020 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=122546)

The Soup Nazi 04.08.2020 01:03 AM

John Prine 1946-2020

It has been mentioned in other threads (thank you guys), but I wanted one just for him. What a horrible fucking day. I'll just leave you with my two favorite John Prine songs, "All The Best" and "Sam Stone" (the latter famously quoted by Spiritualized), and I do want to say extra thanks, John, for introducing the monumental talent of Iris DeMent to this fucked up world.

Bytor Peltor 04.08.2020 03:24 AM

When I heard he was seriously ill the other day, I searched and was dismayed that SYG didn’t have one John Prine thread......so THANK YOU for starting one!

Roger Ebert left a movie because the popcorn was too salty, walked into a Chicago bar for a cold beer and found himself listening to a mailman singing songs. He was so struck he wrote this review that launched John Prine's career

NYCgaf16 04.08.2020 03:41 AM

wow Kurt Vile must be really sad by these news

The Soup Nazi 04.08.2020 05:04 PM

Grandpaboy (Paul Westerberg) - "Souvenirs" (John Prine cover)

The Soup Nazi 04.09.2020 12:35 AM

Cowboy Junkies with John Prine - "If You Were The Woman And I Was The Man"

The Soup Nazi 04.10.2020 02:31 AM

Watch Jeff Tweedy Cover John Prine's "Please Don't Bury Me"

Drjohnrock 04.10.2020 11:16 PM

If I had to choose a handful of favorite Prine tunes, The Sins Of Mephisto would be my choice for one of his more serious songs--there's still humor there,, though. I also like Crooked Piece Of Time in this regard.

On the more whimsical side of things, The Bottomless Lake and, especially Fish And Whistle, which contains these immortal words:

Father forgive us
For what we must do
You forgive us
We'll forgive you

RIP, John

The Soup Nazi 05.06.2020 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16
wow Kurt Vile must be really sad by these news

From Under The Radar:

Quote:

Watch Kurt Vile Cover John Prine's "Sam Stone"
During Love From Philly Livestream Fundraiser

The death last month of the Grammy-Award winning artist John Prine hit the music community hard. But, his legacy of endearing folk-country classics is eternal. One of the ways Prine's influence lives on is through that of Kurt Vile. Now Vile has covered Prine's "Sam Stone."

The two singer/songwriters often played and collaborated together. In a recent interview with Vulture, as part of a larger tribute to Prine, Vile recounted just how nervous he was to share the stage with the legendary musician.

"I'd get starstruck and kinda awkward around John," Vile said. "He'd be talking, and telling me all these wonderful stories from way back, and it was like everything he said was just rushing by me. I couldn't hear any of it, because my brain was flying. I was so nervous, but everything he said hit me later."

But, Prine was just as impressed with Vile as Vile was with him.

"I was in the studio with him recently, and he said, 'You know I love singing with you, Kurt,' as if it was something we did all the time. That was really wild, and it meant a lot to me," revealed Vile.

This past weekend, Vile closed out the Love From Philly livestream fundraiser—which also featured 70 other musicians including The War On Drugs, Man Man, and surprise guest Amos Lee. As his final song, Vile covered Prine's tale of a drug-addicted Vietnam soldier living with PTSD, "Sam Stone," a song he previously played with Prine himself at a Philly show back in 2018.

"Love John Prine," Vile said. "Rest in peace and take it easy."

Watch the full set.