Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is Pandora the best music site ever? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30473)

dazedcola 04.21.2009 08:59 PM

Is Pandora the best music site ever?

Where has this site been all my life. A friend turned me onto it last week and Ive fallen in love. The site works like this, you create a radio station on there by a certain genre or artist. They'll then play a song and you vote wether u like it or not. If you like it they use what they call "the music genome project" to find other music you may like based on the qualities of the songs you gave the thumbs up to. It works vice versa too where if u vote against a certain song they wont play anything that has qualities like that in a song. I've discovered so much new music with this station.

Check it out right now if you havent already
http://pandora.com/

atsonicpark 04.21.2009 09:09 PM

Sounds like a crappier last.fm. But whatever works for ya.

wellcharge 04.21.2009 09:14 PM

last.fm is the best music site ever

StevOK 04.21.2009 09:18 PM

I made a station a couple of weeks ago. I need to start telling it what I don't like.

What is last.fm like? I've never tried it.

wellcharge 04.21.2009 09:26 PM

you can listen to radio like pandora, but you can also have yr cds,mp3s etc. added to yr profile when you listen to them. you get charts, comments,can make/join groups(basically you can do anything that facebook or myspace does) you can upload galleries and bios for artist pages, and leave comments on the artist or their pictures. so it's like internet radio,social network,forum and basically everything all on one site,and it's not usa only like pandora

o'connor 04.21.2009 09:31 PM

yeah but last fm is so unorganized. i found my band's first cd on there and none of us ever even put it on there. and the titles of songs were all jacked up. :(

wellcharge 04.21.2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o'connor
yeah but last fm is so unorganized. i found my band's first cd on there and none of us ever even put it on there. and the titles of songs were all jacked up. :(

you don't have to put it there, it gets put up when people listen to it, and it's also usually people's fault if the titles are wrong, it's about as organized as you can realistically expect user generated content from millions of people to be

SuperCreep 04.21.2009 10:25 PM

I never liked Pandora. It usually plays stuff I already know or shit that wasn't even remotely similar to what I was looking for.

I'll stick to last.fm and RYM for music recs.

summer 04.21.2009 10:30 PM

Yeeeah Pandora sucks, go with last.fm.
Just listen to some stuff, and then listen to your "My Recommendations" or "My Neighborhood" channel and you'll get stuff you like guaranteed.

automatic bzooty 04.21.2009 11:59 PM

yeah, as mentioned: last.fm >>>>>>> pandora.

This Is Not Here 04.22.2009 03:25 AM

Pandora's rubbish, and last. fm isn't a lot better. Essentially if you use it for a long time you'll notice the same tracks repeating, which are clearly the only ones they could buy rights to play. It didn't help me one bit, and the mentality behind having a machine pick out music which is 'identical' to that which you've already heard has always been somewhat beyond me.

summer 04.22.2009 03:29 AM

I don't think in the case of last.fm it's a machine at all, it's likely the process of some zany mathematical process where it compares who listens to what, and how high on the charts they are, and how similar your charts are to every other chart, and thus forming an opinion on which band is highest that you haven't already listened to.
...or...something like that.

terminal pharmacy 04.22.2009 05:48 AM

Yeah it is a fantastic site, they call the software music dna typing. Anyway I haven't been able to access it for the last couple of years because of legal issues with what they were doinmg, i shall have to check again and see if i can regain access.

atsonicpark 04.22.2009 07:23 AM

As SuperCreep said: Last.fm and RYM. Nothing else is needed.

SuperCreep 04.22.2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Pandora's rubbish, and last. fm isn't a lot better. Essentially if you use it for a long time you'll notice the same tracks repeating, which are clearly the only ones they could buy rights to play. It didn't help me one bit, and the mentality behind having a machine pick out music which is 'identical' to that which you've already heard has always been somewhat beyond me.

I've only used the "Recommended radio" thing once, and yeah, I agree that it sucks. I was thinking something more along the lines of checking all of yr top neighbors and/or friends profiles, searching through their top artists lists, and finding stuff you've heard very little of or never listened to before.

afterthefact 04.22.2009 09:45 AM

Pandora can be good, except sometimes its whole "genome" thing gets out of whack. You might be jamming to some good punk, and then it throws in a Johnny Thunders acoustic song, and about three more songs down the line you are listening to Damien Rice.

pbradley 04.22.2009 10:41 AM

Pandora is fine and all for parties, but I'm far more picky when it comes to personal listening.