Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mix Tapes Round 2 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4876)

Glice 08.14.2006 05:24 PM

Pretty essential. Just not as essential as the Fall/ Peel box set.

It's that version of the Black Angel's Death Song that does it for me... and, in fact the whole thing. I'm going to listen to it tomorrow. Right on!

Пятхъдесят Шест 08.14.2006 05:28 PM

I've not listened to much of The Fall, I should probably hear more before I go out and buy the box set.

I'm a Shortwave nerd so, the Conet Project stuff sounds quite interesting. Hip Priest showed me the way on number stations. Tell me more about that.

hat and beard 08.14.2006 10:25 PM

count me in for certain. i just finished a real humdinger of a mixtape.

porkmarras 08.15.2006 03:51 AM

My third mixtape has shaped up rather well considering that i scrapped it off a couple of times.Side A has been particularly difficult because at one point i decided to put some examples of electro-acoustic and noise music since there seemed to be a little confusion(only for some) on the related threads last week.

Pookie 08.15.2006 04:20 AM

I've just scrapped version 3.

I'm having real difficulty, definitely the difficult second tape for me. I might just make a copy of sonicl's first one & send it to one of those American teenagers. They wouldn't know the difference.

Hip Priest 08.15.2006 04:22 AM

They do talk of the tricky second LP, don't they? I'm sill on the theory stage of my second, rather than the practice.

sonicl 08.15.2006 04:24 AM

I'm still waiting for you to slag off side two of my first one. But cyrillic man is still waiting for me to review his whole tape, so I can't complain too loudly.

Tape two should be in the post to you this evening, Pookie. I'm a bit unsure about how well it'll be received, based on the people now taking part, but it's done now.

Tape three is at the planning stage. It'll definitely include more senseless teenypop, particularly since I had to scrap Atomic Kitten from tape two because of problems with the running time.

Pookie 08.15.2006 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I had to scrap Atomic Kitten from tape two because of problems with the running time.

Oh what a tragedy:rolleyes:

I'm listening to side two now. I was meant to be back at work yesterday but I took an extra day off.

Work is the best place for me to listen uninterrupted, although sometimes having to actually do some work can get in the way a bit.

Hip Priest 08.15.2006 04:31 AM

Are you guys only half way through the tape? :eek: What is it a C560 or something!?

porkmarras 08.15.2006 04:33 AM

Well,my third tape is my more experimental phase(haha).I've done a Radiohead on this one.

sonicl 08.15.2006 04:36 AM

I may alternate teenybop with "post-metal" for tape three. That'll do someone's head in.

Pelican / Atomic Kitten / Isis / S Club 7 etc.

Pookie 08.15.2006 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Are you guys only half way through the tape? :eek: What is it a C560 or something!?

Hey, don't forget this is half review/half nostalgia trip for me. These things can't be rushed

Hip Priest 08.15.2006 04:41 AM

Clearly.:)

porkmarras 08.15.2006 04:48 AM

I might get a gospel choir in for this one.haha!

Everyneurotic 08.15.2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I may alternate teenybop with "post-metal" for tape three. That'll do someone's head in.

Pelican / Atomic Kitten / Isis / S Club 7 etc.

seems like a tape custom made for me!!

add some ufomammut and b*witched, and you have a tape for the ages.

huoxito 08.15.2006 12:44 PM

it would be nice if one the next mix tape trade we all only recorded one side of the tape and then send to any other partcipant who would record the other side of the and send back to its owner........

anyway ,hope at the end of the week i'll have already sent my tape.....

Hip Priest 08.15.2006 01:03 PM

When I started the first mixtape, I had no idea what it was going to consist of. It was only after I'd decided on the opening track that things happened.

I'm still trying to decide on tape 2's opening track.

huoxito 08.15.2006 01:57 PM

i've just finished side b. \º/

it took me two hours to choose the songs and record the whole tape...and songs are quite different one of each other.

hope some of you like it.

Hip Priest 08.15.2006 02:29 PM

The good news is that the (broad) theme has been chosen, and recording has commenced. Unortunately, the theme rules out more Propaganda, but they'll be back on the third tape, I'm sure.

gmku 08.15.2006 04:37 PM

I've thought about just keeping my mix tape in the deck for a while, and as I play an album I might hear something and go, Oh, add that to the tape, and so on. Sort of random and spontaneous, occuring through my regular listening.