Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

mil_pl 08.29.2008 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
It's probably not out yet in his country...

yep, next year probably.. no date for premiere yet.

afterthefact 08.29.2008 08:03 AM

I watched "Jump Off A Building" last night. It was a very lackluster skate video. I kinda liked it, but mostly just for the music (Joplin, SY, Dino Jr, Floyd, etc). It was super short and, well with a name like Jump Off A Building, I thought there might be more crazy stuff, not just your typical lines and stuff.

ALIEN ANAL 08.29.2008 08:43 AM

just watched TRON
was pretty groovey

Rob Instigator 08.29.2008 10:01 AM

tron was a weird movie, it befuddled people because the charcters really do act like computers think.

demonrail666 08.29.2008 10:03 AM

I still don't have the foggiest idea what Tron is is actually about. It's like fucking long division in film form

fugazifan 08.29.2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
FIREWORKS rules. Kitano is the man. Violent Cop is one of my all time favorite films.

What didn't you like about Mister Lonely? It was great! Way better than the pointless and completely unlikeable-in-every-way Julien Donkey Boy, for example.

um, i think i really didnt like it because the idea just did not work. there were a few clever moments, and some beautiful atmospheric ones, like the nuns with SCGs in the backround. but all in all there were to many shots of him doing his michael jackson moves and terrible dialogues.
i dont know. i just really did not work IMO. and for some reason i thought that JDB had some better aspects to it, and the jim orourke/doc boggs soundtrack really helped.

yeah, i need to see violent cop.

atsonicpark 08.29.2008 10:24 AM

Man they were hardly any scenes of him doing Michael Jackson moves or impersonations; in fact, I think they were all at the beginning of the film. It was just a really simple art film about .. hm.. loneliness and why someone would want to become someone else, coupled with beautiful cinematography and a strange sentimentality that is completely lacking from other Korine films. The nun parts were the best.

davenotdead 08.29.2008 12:55 PM

kind of awesome
8/10

Everyneurotic 08.29.2008 11:29 PM

"there's this battle of the bands and the price is a record contract, man! it's all punk bands so it doesn't matter if we know how to play."

davenotdead 08.30.2008 12:28 AM

Eastern Promises

great film

bravo to Cronenberg and Viggo.

9/10

atsonicpark 08.30.2008 07:09 AM

Last two films mentioned are awesome!

!@#$%! 08.30.2008 05:08 PM

i LOVED this movie. i laughed my ass off.

i can understand why a lot of people didn't like it, but for me, it was fucking GREAT.

fugazifan 08.30.2008 05:09 PM

i saw hanke's cache (hidden)
wow...

Sonic Youth 37 08.30.2008 07:54 PM

atsonicpark 08.30.2008 07:55 PM

haha. 24 hour party people is pretty funny (in a ridiculous way)... if inconsistent and boring at times.

Sonic Youth 37 08.30.2008 07:56 PM

Yeah, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

atsonicpark 08.30.2008 08:03 PM

I thought it was interesting but kind of odd how they had all these ridiculous and comedic parts with talking to the camera and shit and then out of nowhere, it was like Ian Curtis killing himself. I mean, I know it's a true story and I know ... some (most?) ... of that stuff actually happened. I just thought the dramatic change in tone in scenes was.. odd.

Sonic Youth 37 08.30.2008 08:05 PM

I know they are totally different movies, but I can see myself watching Control again before this. It wasn't bad, just nothing I'd consider watching again.

atsonicpark 08.30.2008 08:08 PM

Oh yeah, Control was better. Just watched that one this week.

Everyneurotic 08.30.2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

i LOVED this movie. i laughed my ass off.

i can understand why a lot of people didn't like it, but for me, it was fucking GREAT.

i watched it on the plane to and from ny and i have to say it's pretty boring, it has the occasional good joke but not a good movie for me.

i get tired of whimsical magical wonderful reality of michel gondry, to tell you the truth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
...I know it's a true story and I know ... some (most?) ... of that stuff actually happened...

the general consensus with the people involved (that means the people who participated in the movie and those whose life this movie is based upon) is that the movie is about the rumours and legends that got around when the actual facts happened.

i think howard devoto actually appears in the movie saying "actually, i don't remember this happening that way."