Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "Green Light" riff (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32035)

noisereductions 06.12.2009 10:06 AM

"Green Light" riff

okay, I've heard "Green Light" probably a thousand times. But I never really picked up on this. Y'know when the shit gets crazy and there's the intense guitar buildup? Well my wife was like "Hey! That sounds like the guitar from 'Death Valley 69' slowed down!" And I was like "O. M. G." It does, huh? Did everyone else notice this??

greedrex 06.12.2009 10:42 AM

o shit. We were all ripped off from the start. I'm selling all my SY related shit. Bastards.

noisereductions 06.12.2009 10:49 AM

haha

summer 06.12.2009 10:54 AM

Whether this is true or not, I think bands should do that more often. There's a difference between ripping yourself off and self-reference. I'm not exactly sure where one begins and the other ends.. the line seems very blurry. However, if pulled off right it seems like a good idea.

noisereductions 06.12.2009 11:07 AM

I dnt think you can "rip yrself off" ... I think it is indeed self-reference. I mean DV69 had been their first big hit, and they felt the riff was actually uncharacteristic of the band. So to slow it down and "remix" it into something else, something more characteristic is sort of a cool wink-wink to the fanbase.

ZEROpumpkins 06.12.2009 10:12 PM

I know Aphex Twin has sampled himself a few times, it's pretty interesting to be sitting there listening to a track and being like "hang on a minute..."

noisereductions 06.13.2009 08:13 AM

well waht about Kim's "Come on down to the river" thing in "Calming The Snake"???

automatic bzooty 06.13.2009 09:24 AM

i hope they sue themselves for a multimillion dollar.

Shifty Prophet 06.13.2009 09:31 AM

wow, does it really matter? its a song. its a great song, people should stop dissecting things so much and just listen and listen, learn to appreciate, love it.

chrome noise tape 06.13.2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
i hope they sue themselves for a multimillion dollar.

a multitrillion dollar...

SYRFox 06.13.2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
wow, does it really matter? its a song. its a great song, people should stop dissecting things so much and just listen and listen, learn to appreciate, love it.

end of message board

greedrex 06.13.2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrome noise tape
a multitrillion dollar...

gazillion?

Shifty Prophet 06.13.2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
end of message board

if by that you mean the end of discussing things, then i hardly think thats true. there are plenty of interesting points that have been highlighted on this forum (i may have just joined, but i lurked for a while) that don't concern dissecting every little nuance within every song. nothing against the dude that posted that, i don't know him and he's probably a cool guy, it just seemed a little to obsessive for my taste, thats all.

SYRFox 06.13.2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

if by that you mean the end of discussing things, then i hardly think thats true. there are plenty of interesting points that have been highlighted on this forum (i may have just joined, but i lurked for a while) that don't concern dissecting every little nuance within every song. nothing against the dud that posted that, i don't know him and he's probably a cool guy, it just seemed a little to obsessive for my taste, thats all.

ahah, don't worry man, i wasn't too serious - i never am, actually. though i don't really see the problem with that thread.
(edit: and noisereductions is indeed one damn good fellah)

dasx 06.13.2009 01:00 PM

It's a common thing that artist repeats itself. It's also true that same things in different context can sound really different...

And I mean that artists do that kind of things unconsciously.

noisereductions 06.13.2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

if by that you mean the end of discussing things, then i hardly think thats true. there are plenty of interesting points that have been highlighted on this forum (i may have just joined, but i lurked for a while) that don't concern dissecting every little nuance within every song. nothing against the dud that posted that, i don't know him and he's probably a cool guy, it just seemed a little to obsessive for my taste, thats all.

if yr gonna start posting by calling regulars "duds" then I would suggest that you fuck off.

joe11121 06.13.2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

I disagree, I like threads where we analyze specific songs.

Derek 06.13.2009 01:21 PM

Threads like these are interesting, would you rather have fucking dull threads Mr. Shift Prophet?

noisereductions 06.13.2009 01:57 PM

No kidding. If this douche knows a better place to discuss a Sonic Youth song than a Sonic Youth forum...

demonrail666 06.13.2009 02:09 PM

I quite like the idea of bands having sort of 'stock' riffs that crop up from time to time in different songs. Not necessarily in a Status Quo kind of a way but more in a sort of working-through-an-idea kind of one. I've noticed a few of these in SY, although I have to say I'd noticed the Green Light-DV 69 continuum.