Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Soundgarden was one of the best mainstream bands of the 90's (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4210)

Heroic Dose 07.18.2006 03:28 PM

Back in the 90's alternative (mainstream) was good!

Rob Instigator 07.18.2006 04:13 PM

Afghan Whigs were better

lizzarddd 07.18.2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Your lack of intelligence makes me ignore your posts.

kthxmuch

Wasn't the whole kthx thing last summers deal?
Go get a job or some hobbies.

atari 2600 07.18.2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Afghan Whigs were better

Amen! to that.

Shit like Soundgarden & Alice in Chains is strictly for fucking rednecks.

krastian 07.18.2006 06:09 PM

He he....yeah I'm a redneck minus all the stupidity.

matt reeder 07.18.2006 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
Amen! to that.

Shit like Soundgarden & Alice in Chains is strictly for fucking rednecks.

I've been collecting Soundgarden bootlegs for years. Does that mean I'm a redneck, despite the fact I'm a graduate student, teach French, have been a political activist for years, and live in the most progressive city in America?

Don't speak out of your ass.

kingcoffee 07.19.2006 12:18 AM

Quote:

Afghan Whigs were better

Blasphemy. Pure rock and roll blasphemy. There is no way in HELL that Afghan Wigs were better than Soundgarden. Afgahn Wigs were good, but they weren't Soundgarden good. They weren't even Pearl Jam good. I was really pissed to read about how Sub Pop gave away Mudhoney's recording money to fund The Afghan Wigs recordings, even though it happened well over a decade ago. I just don't think The Afghan WIgs were NEARLY as talented or interesting as Mudhoney.

terminal pharmacy 07.19.2006 01:11 AM

the whole audioslave thing was tragic, it went completely the opposite way for what i was hoping. Chris Cornell is just now a professioanl rock star and that is it. And the rage boys must have lost their way slightly, going from strong politically aware and caring songs to exploding 69 gazillion dollars worth of pyro in a film clip. go figure. i still love all the rage and sg stuff though. tom morello rocks balls

sonicl 07.19.2006 04:08 AM

I turned down the chance to see Soundgarden in order to see Johnny Cash some time around 1988/89. In the long term, I think I made the better choice.

I had a second chance to see them at the Reading Festival in 1994. This time I turned up, but they didn't.

Norma J 07.19.2006 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I turned down the chance to see Soundgarden in order to see Johnny Cash some time around 1988/89. In the long term, I think I made the better choice.

You sure did.

therealglenstyler 07.19.2006 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Your lack of intelligence makes me ignore your posts.

kthxmuch

Technically this isn't ignoring his post as much as it is reading, and then replying to, his post.

Cantankerous 07.19.2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcoffee
Blasphemy. Pure rock and roll blasphemy. There is no way in HELL that Afghan Wigs were better than Soundgarden. Afgahn Wigs were good, but they weren't Soundgarden good. They weren't even Pearl Jam good. I was really pissed to read about how Sub Pop gave away Mudhoney's recording money to fund The Afghan Wigs recordings, even though it happened well over a decade ago. I just don't think The Afghan WIgs were NEARLY as talented or interesting as Mudhoney.

they must really blow if they're not even pearl jam good. pearl jam sucks.

Trasher02 07.19.2006 11:23 AM

I don't like soundgarden...

Rob Instigator 07.19.2006 11:55 AM

Afghan Whigs are fucking AMAZING. They rock harder than soundagrden, they are far far less derivative than soundgarden. their lyrics are more personal and meaningful than soundgarden's bloated proto-prog-rock babble. The afghan whigs rule!

Up In It
Congregation
Gentlemen

those three albums outweigh anything that soundgarden ever put out.

Gookid 07.19.2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt reeder
despite the fact I'm a graduate student, teach French, have been a political activist for years, and live in the most progressive city in America?

therealglenstyler 07.20.2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
the whole audioslave thing was tragic, it went completely the opposite way for what i was hoping. Chris Cornell is just now a professioanl rock star and that is it. And the rage boys must have lost their way slightly, going from strong politically aware and caring songs to exploding 69 gazillion dollars worth of pyro in a film clip. go figure. i still love all the rage and sg stuff though. tom morello rocks balls

I agree heartily, apart from taking issue with the fireworks in the cochise video, that shit was cool and was the only thing that almost made the existance of their gash music excusable.

kingcoffee 07.20.2006 12:42 PM

Quote:

Afghan Whigs are fucking AMAZING. They rock harder than soundagrden, they are far far less derivative than soundgarden. their lyrics are more personal and meaningful than soundgarden's bloated proto-prog-rock babble. The afghan whigs rule!

Up In It
Congregation
Gentlemen

those three albums outweigh anything that soundgarden ever put out.

No, they don't.

HaydenAsche 07.20.2006 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therealglenstyler
Technically this isn't ignoring his post as much as it is reading, and then replying to, his post.

You dont' have to read to quote and reply.

Idiot.

Nevermind 11.22.2006 01:42 PM

Soundgarden Fucking Rules! Soundgarden and Sonic Youth both use time signatures other than 4 : 4 and alternate tunings.

atari 2600 11.22.2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt reeder
I've been collecting Soundgarden bootlegs for years. Does that mean I'm a redneck, despite the fact I'm a graduate student, teach French, have been a political activist for years, and live in the most progressive city in America?

Don't speak out of your ass.

Yes, it means you are a fucking hick.

On that note, and just to clarify, liking Lynyrd Skynyrd and/or The Allman Bros. is infinitely more sophisticated than harboring an affection for (puke!) Soundgarden...although Alice in Chains are even worse.

Who's your favorite painter, dillweed?
Oh let me guess...it's some comic book/fantasy art illustrator maybe.

dredged from the depths...bumped from the bog (by the last poster...not me!)
Soundgarden blow
Soundgarden blow
Soundgarden blow
Soundgarden blow
Soundgarden blow
Soundgarden blow
Soundgarden blow
Soundgarden blow
Soundgarden blow
Soundgarden blow