Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   favorite black sabbath album (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20089)

Bytor Peltor 11.22.2013 07:48 PM

For those desiring to get their Sabbath vinyl on, Insound has a great 8XLP Bundle going between now and November, 26th (Tuesday)......$124.99

Mortte Jousimo 11.23.2013 04:48 AM

I have all first 6 Sabbath albums on vinyl (master & Vol.4 are original spiral, Sabbath Bloody is some odd WWA-label, there is also "Made in England"-text, others are Nems-re-releases) and also 13 on vinyl. I am total analog-lover, never liked how cd sounds. But of course I have cd:s too, specially albums that have never released in vinyl.

Mortte Jousimo 11.24.2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
For those desiring to get their Sabbath vinyl on, Insound has a great 8XLP Bundle going between now and November, 26th (Tuesday)......$124.99

Little bit hard to understand, why there isnīt first album? I think it should have been there instead of "We sold our soul...".

Bytor Peltor 02.13.2016 07:01 PM

Released 46 years ago today!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Children of the Grave is so fucking awesome, so heavy, and SUPERNAUT! yay! with that breakwawy chicano riffing in the middle.
LOVE IT

My favorite sabbath album is the first one.

Severian 02.13.2016 08:06 PM

My favorite Sabbath album is No. 4 closely followed by Master of Reality, which grows closer and closer to the #1 spot as the years go by.

Happy Birthday, Master!

Severian 02.13.2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
Vol. 4. right now. well, it's always been Vol.4 really.

the first album has that live in the studio feel. it's hey, great too.

Yeah, great album, but for me it's probably my least favorite of the first 6. It still kicks almighty ass, but the rest of those records are just total fucking home runs.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.13.2016 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I deny the existance of Dio era black sabbath

Me too! Im like a Truther or Birther when it comes to Dio.. that shit didn't really happen and Tony didn't really say Dio was the best singer ever.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.13.2016 11:22 PM

One of my students was showing me video he made from the Sabbath show here in LA that i actually wanted to go too but was too expensive.. it looked kick ass and i wished i could have gave him extra credit for being so fucking kick ass too

Severian 02.14.2016 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Me too! Im like a Truther or Birther when it comes to Dio.. that shit didn't really happen and Tony didn't really say Dio was the best singer ever.

It didn't fucking happen. Black Sabbath broke up in 1978. Reunited in 2014. Everything in between is like alternate 1984 from Back to the Future. Fuck that shit. Biff didn't keep the almanac, and Dio is simply "that guy from Rainbow."

hirsute_biped 02.14.2016 09:47 PM

Quote:

ha! that's what's up!

SBS is a stinker though. skip to Sabotage please!!

SBS is golden, if Sabbath Mach-1 has a stinker it might be Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die, but I still like those. I saw the Sabs the last time they came around for 13, couldn't do it this time. I've been warming up to the Dio era after a long period of non-acknowledgement, but the 70s were the best. The things I am most excited by at the moment are flamenco, Spanish classical, & Morricone western soundtracks.

Severian 02.15.2016 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
SBS is golden, if Sabbath Mach-1 has a stinker it might be Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die, but I still like those. I saw the Sabs the last time they came around for 13, couldn't do it this time. I've been warming up to the Dio era after a long period of non-acknowledgement, but the 70s were the best. The things I am most excited by at the moment are flamenco, Spanish classical, & Morricone western soundtracks.

Have to agree here. SBS is great. Not as great, perhaps, as Sabotage... but probably better in my opinion than s/t. Definitely better than Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die, but I too like those albums well enough. I actually think Never Say Die is better than Technical Ecstasy... that album just got a little proggy in the wrong way. Never Say Die did it better.

But I feel like Sabbath "mach1" ended with Sabotage. TE and NSD may have had the lineup and may have had the right components, but they're not part of that 6-album streak of near perfection. Still so much better than He Who Shall Not Be Named (yeah, I'm Voldemorting RJD)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.15.2016 04:05 PM

Technical Ecstasy is a tolerable record, it has its moments but its definitely at the bottom of the pile of Ozzy era Sabbath albums, indeed you should only listen to it at the end of a drunken Sabbath binge or randomly hear some tracks on Shuffle mode on your music player ;)

Severian 02.15.2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Never Say Die has Air Dance which has my favorite Black Sabbath intro besides Cornucopia.

then again this band had tons of intro riffs.

Fuck yeah Air Dance! That's my jam.

hirsute_biped 02.17.2016 12:38 AM

Has no one sampled the drum break in Supernaut? If not, it must be for legal reasons, right? I kind of want to do that, or if I had the resources and the balls hire Bill Ward to record it again.

Bytor Peltor 02.17.2020 06:56 AM

This turned 50 last Thursday!

The woman on the cover has been identified as, Louisa Livingstone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

Peterpuff 02.17.2020 05:57 PM

Call me a simpleton, but Paranoid is most often my go-to when in a Sabbath mood.

Bytor Peltor 02.29.2020 05:07 AM

Jazz Sabbath

01. Fairies Wear Boots
02. Evil Woman
03. Rat Salad
04. Iron Man
05. Hand Of Doom
06. Changes
07. Children Of The Grave