Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

pepper_green 03.31.2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I think he probably did a few things that he shouldn't have, but I don't think he meant to do any harm, and I don't think he was actually a pedophile.

I've always seen Mike as kind of a tragic figure, sort of like Lenny in Of Mice and Men. Only instead of killing mice and accidentally breaking a bitch's neck, I think he probably just participated in one too many tickle fights.

As much respect as I have for him, I have to say I don't believe he was playing with a full deck. Hard to pinpoint when it started to seem like he was a little .... ah.... retarded.... but it started to seem like he'd sustained brain damage or something, somewhere around 1994. He just stopped making sense in interviews, and his vocabulary seemed to suffer. Perhaps he had early onset dimentia. I feel bad for the guy. What a tough life.

exactly! my thoughts. he was fucked up but not that fucked up. well, maybe more fucked up than we think.

I mean, you wouldn't do nothing like that would you? show children your pecker? I denied the MF thing for so long because I was a fan.

pepper_green 03.31.2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
It also gets forgotten how Nirvana knocked MJ off the charts. Which is amazing no matter how you slice that cake.

I haven't forgot.

pepper_green 03.31.2016 08:05 PM

it's weird. dude had access to all kinds of pussy. why would he show his vitiligo dick to children unless he was really a prev.

pepper_green 03.31.2016 08:10 PM

Quote:

"Leave me Alone" was about the media as far as I know.

I like to think otherwise.:) it doesn't matter. it's such a great song.

Severian 03.31.2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
It also gets forgotten how Nirvana knocked MJ off the charts. Which is amazing no matter how you slice that cake.

I haven't forgotten. Neither has Rolling Stone, or Vh1. And really, someone had to do it. It was more symbolic than anything. MJ had already had the top spot for weeks, so it was bound to end soon.

Still, yeah, a very big achievement for a "new" artist's first major label album. Unprecedented really. But Nevermind has sold more copies to date than Dangerous by far (7 million to, I believe, 12 million) ...

Hard to believe that was only MJ's fourth studio album, and kinda the last one from his real golden era.

That album has freaking NINE singles. Did y'all know that? NINE singles.

Severian 03.31.2016 08:45 PM

This is bringing back a lot of memories for me, many of which I hadn't thought about in years and years prior to this conversation.

A couple years ago I was at a party with my girlfriend and her family (yeah, my girlfriend's mom loves to party... acts like a 20 year old. Cool lady, awful parent) anyway, "Man in the Mirror" came on and -- even though I hadn't heard the song in forever -- some part of me recognized it INSTANTLY, and I was snapping my fingers to the beat before I even really knew what was going on. I looked around and my girlfriend's mom was doing the same thing and we both started laughing our asses off. It was like we'd planned it. Then we turnt that shit up.

I love it when things that seem like they should only happen in really bad sitcoms happen in real life. There's a little bit of Peter Griffin in me, I must say.

pepper_green 03.31.2016 08:54 PM

^^^ ha! love it. nothing wrong with "Man in the Mirror". always loved that song and not in a hipster ironic way. not saying you two were. it is a good song.

guest 03.31.2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Your first point screams "white hipster dweeb," you know? I would take The Velvet Rope over every MJ album though.

....wouldn't the typical white hipster dweeb response be to glorify the living shit out of kanye?? :cool: :cool: :cool:

guest 03.31.2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Probably but I didn't wanna make it seem like it's personal.. lol

also thank you so much for this. the implications in your post rob are so fucking gross it makes me feel a little ill to be honest...why didn't you feel the need to mention goddamn chris brown or a genuine hackjob who doesn't also happen to be a woman?

janet jackson may not have had the cultural supremacy of her brother, but she made some absurdly innovative pop records along the way there: control, janet., the velvet rope etc. there is no way that you can undermine her incredible contribution to the popular music landscape (she presages the current trend for liquid r&b by a good 25 years) when I honestly can't say that michael's music has inspired anything more than throwbacks. his music is a relic and not a comparably substantial part of an ongoing cultural dialogue, and that is the case because to put it simply his music didn't accomplish all that much. *he* did, he was a phenomenally talented guy, but the amount of shit he put out honestly comes pretty close to outstripping said talent.

guest 03.31.2016 09:09 PM

also also you guys should be talking about the babyfather lp, rips the shit out of your cranium

pepper_green 03.31.2016 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
....wouldn't the typical white hipster dweeb response be to glorify the living shit out of kanye?? :cool: :cool: :cool:

I agree kinda. louder is a hipster and he doesn't even know it because he's in exile. the new hipster loves Future and Young Thug and Kayne and Taylor Swift. this new hip hop is whats on the the nerdy white boys mind. anything that resembles rock is a rehash and old peoples music without a smart phone. it's blunts, xtc and sex and revenge of Eminime. guitars are a ghosts. I can't blame them because rock music is dead. dead as dead. it died. the kids want pop with a popism attitude because they hate instruments. fuck you and yr old shit. they want Jennifer lopez with the best electronic sounds and pop. they want everything pop. pop hip hop with pop sounds to make you feel inferior unwilling to kill you and everything you love. there's no such thing as selling out anymore with these people. they are young and want to cum with pop, not to mention smart phones .

pepper_green 03.31.2016 09:27 PM

I tell the truth because im in it and im right and if you disagree with me I know people that can set me up hiring people that could kill you. if your looking for punk rock attitude I suggest look to the past.

Severian 03.31.2016 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
I agree kinda. louder is a hipster and he doesn't even know it because he's in exile. the new hipster loves Future and Young Thug and Kayne and Taylor Swift. this new hip hop is whats on the the nerdy white boys mind. anything that resembles rock is a rehash and old peoples music without a smart phone. it's blunts, xtc and sex and revenge of Eminime. guitars are a ghosts. I can't blame them because rock music is dead. dead as dead. it died. the kids want pop with a popism attitude because they hate instruments. fuck you and yr old shit. they want Jennifer lopez with the best electronic sounds and pop. they want everything pop. pop hip hop with pop sounds to make you feel inferior unwilling to kill you and everything you love. there's no such thing as selling out anymore with these people. they are young and want to cum with pop, not to mention smart phones .

... Jennifer Lopez?

Severian 03.31.2016 11:17 PM

THE LIFE OF PABLO NPW STREAMING IN FULL ON SPOTIFY!!

ALBUM WILL BE AVAILABLE ON ALL STREAMING AND MUSIC DOWNLOAD SERVICES BY MODNIGHT TODAU (FRIDAY!!!)

Check it
http://pitchfork.com/news/64499-kany...idal-tomorrow/

Wooooo!

Severian 03.31.2016 11:26 PM

THE LIFE OF PABLO NOW ON SALE AT KANYE WEST'S OFFICIAL WEBSITE!

Buy now at kanyewest.com!!!

Severian 03.31.2016 11:27 PM

Not an April Fool's joke. It's out and it's more lit than ever.

guest 03.31.2016 11:41 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzZ_urpj4As this is just so indescribably cringe-worthy in retrospect.

/// how can anyone justifiably charge $20USD for a digital download???

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.01.2016 12:27 AM

Quote:

I haven't forgotten. Neither has Rolling Stone, or Vh1. And really, someone had to do it. It was more symbolic than anything. MJ had already had the top spot for weeks, so it was bound to end soon.

Still, yeah, a very big achievement for a "new" artist's first major label album. Unprecedented really. But Nevermind has sold more copies to date than Dangerous by far (7 million to, I believe, 12 million) ...

Hard to believe that was only MJ's fourth studio album, and kinda the last one from his real golden era.

That album has freaking NINE singles. Did y'all know that? NINE singles.

Dangerous still sold over 20 million copies before MJ died so really what Nirvana did was symbolic

Skuj 04.01.2016 12:55 AM

Quote:

THE LIFE OF PABLO NOW ON SALE AT KANYE WEST'S OFFICIAL WEBSITE!

Buy now at kanyewest.com!!!

A digital download for $20? No thanks. AND....he promises to keep fucking with it!!

louder 04.01.2016 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest

I said that because of the random Kid Rock and Jim O'rourke mentions

Made me cringe but whatever man