Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Residents (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=384)

thewall91 03.28.2006 07:43 AM

The Residents

I just recently discovered this band. Does anyone else know them? I was kind of surprised I'd never heard anyone talk about them before, unless it escaped me. They have a real trippy Shimmydisc-label feel to them. I'm diggin' 'em.

A Thousand Threads 03.28.2006 08:28 AM

yeah they are very good
i once started a thread about them on the old forum a few month ago

my favs: Gingerbread Man and Not Available
everybody seems to hate Not Available
i think it´s funny

Savage Clone 03.28.2006 09:39 AM

I have been a fan since the mid 80s; great group!
My favorites:
Duck Stab
The Commercial Album
Eskimo

I love a lot of their stuff.

Phlegmscope 03.28.2006 10:17 AM

So what's good for starters? I've been meaning to get something, but their catalogue seems quite diverse.

Signpost 03.28.2006 11:52 AM

I like them a lot. They make pretty interesting music. My favourite albums: Meet The Residents, Duck Stab, Not Available.

Savage Clone 03.28.2006 11:57 AM

I would start with the Commercial Album, Eskimo or even Residue Of The Residents, which has a lot of good misc. trax.

hey alex 03.28.2006 12:13 PM

I've only heard their their first album... with the residents (with the awesome doctored cover of with the beatles). When I got done with it I was surprised, I had heard the wierdest thing ever.

I like my friend's thoughts on the residents. It's not just a bunch of nobodies destroying pop music... it's everybody. The beatles, Axel Rose, Pink Floyd, bowie, the stones, any big names you can think of coming together in secretcy and wreaking havoc. KInda like an Illuminati of music.

sonikold 03.28.2006 06:21 PM

i have HELL, which is one of the most amazingly unlistenable albums i've ever heard. used to listen to it while painting and getting high off the fumes. the old mcdonald track is still way too fucked up for me to listen to.

i used to creep out my friends in high school by showing them the residents videos- goddamn those are creepy. i'm looking on youtube for some now- i really want to see the short songs ones.

nomadicfollower 03.28.2006 06:53 PM

I like 'em. I started a thread about them on the old board. I recently bought the Commercial Album DVD. It's alright, not really that good. I like the album though. Duckstab is good also.

atsonicpark 11.10.2010 05:31 PM

In my top 10 bands of all time, of course.

Just wanted to say that GOD IN THREE PERSONS is my favorite album by them, and I HIGHLY reccomend it, it's so fucking brilliant.

my top 5 at the moment is

1. god in 3 persons
2. duckstab
3. eskimo
4. duckstab
5. third reich n roll

every album they ever released on their record label is AMAZING, especially the renaldo and the loaf.. and snakefinger stuff. residents have about 60 albums, too (counting ep's and singles) and i've liked everything they've EVER released.... NOT AVAILABLE is one that's always overlooked that's just mindbogglingly headscratchingly a work of genius.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.10.2010 06:33 PM

^ Good list. I've seen you raving about God in 3 persons... I've never heard that one. Animal Lover is really, really good too - especially for a more recent album. Very reminiscent of Duck Stab... at least to me.

atsonicpark 11.10.2010 08:08 PM

i liked animal lover a lot but the songs just went on too long. you know what? i am a fool for not putting TITLE IN LIMBO in that list there.

here;s god in 3 persons

www.mediafire.com/?mnnywzjcw3j

enjoy

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.13.2010 10:46 PM

A bit of a letdown for me. Maybe I'll grow to love it eventually. It is a Residents album after all.

atsonicpark 11.13.2010 11:16 PM

Admittingly, it's no Beverly Kills, but...

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.13.2010 11:25 PM

RINGMASTA!!!

Clyde Cat 11.14.2010 12:23 AM

Amazing band. Their discog is too hopelessly large for me to ever truly get to listen to, but from what I've heard I really dig these guys. They're probably the one band that I'd say lives up to their reputation to being the weirdest, most "Out-there" music.

atsonicpark 11.14.2010 12:36 AM

I've got 70 albums by them and love them all. They're so fucking great! Literally. I wouldn't call them the weirdest band ever -- Omoide Hatoba, Malade de Souci, Sun City Girls, Caroliner, Renaldo and the Loaf, Cromagnon (the one who made "Orgasm", outsider "blackened" broken folk with plastic bucket percussion), and tons of other great bands are probably "weirder", in my opinion.. if that matters -- but I would say Residents are the best weird band. Like I said about the new Mike Watt album, Residents are one of the only other bands I would say created their own musical language. I'd say they're up there with Beefheart as the most inspiring, brilliant bands of all time, their influence felt everywhere, from tons and tons and tons of bands... Yet Residents are so damn musical.. so damn GOOD, period, like.. the studio trickery they use (listen to THIRD REICH AND ROLL; two songs in the same tempo playing in two different speakers.. sounds insane.. then everything will drop out but drums, and they travel from speaker to speaker and then the song just COMPLETELY changes.. stuff like that, awesome and seriously insane and brilliant). "Not Available" does for production what some of the Zappa stuff does. Then, something like "Title in Limbo" is SO immaculate and cleanly-produced AND so musical and just like nothing else ever made. They are like chameleons, another underrated element of their work.. there's so much depth... one listen is NEVER enough.. They're brilliant in truly headscratching mindblowing ways.. they're mostly known for their "wrong note" "off-key" "minor key" electronic burbles, but they've done every time of music known to man... they've supposedly had over 100 members... crazy eh.. Anywho, I'd say something was definitely lost when Snakefinger left the band; I think Title in Limbo was their only album with them, Snakey, and Renaldo and the Loaf all on the same album. It's one of my favorites by them, if not my absolute favorite, but it comes in the middle of a particularly dull (compared to the rest of their discography) period of the band, so it's kinda forgotten -- also, it has no particular "theme", but... that shoe salesman song alone is reason to pick the album up.

Residents for life.

Sykid87 11.16.2010 09:34 AM

I know its lame but the first Residents album i got was the compilation "Petting Zoo" and its really good.